Was this season a success?

Was this season a success?

• Yes

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 51 75.0%

• Total voters

David Stern

It feels like most of what I'm seeing on social media makes me think that our fanbase considers this season a success. I'm curious to know how this board feels about the 2018/2019 season. While this season definitely wasn't a disaster, bringing back basically the same team and only winning one game in the playoffs isn't a successful season in my mind. What do you think?

It was about what I expected (well, I had anticipated we’d win a few more games [we should have], had a higher seed, and got out of the first round — but basically we’re as far out of contention now as we would have been even in that scenario). We added absolutely no offense. This year was basically just a placeholder.

The season will evaluated by what we learned from it. If DL keeps the same team for a 3rd year in a row, then we didn't realize this team wasn't good enough. So then it would be a failure.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

It was about what I expected (well, I had anticipated we’d win a few more games [we should have], had a higher seed, and got out of the first round — but basically we’re as far out of contention now as we would have been even in that scenario). We added absolutely no offense. This year was basically just a placeholder.

Yup, and a developmental year for Donovan, which was successful in that regard given his consistent improvement. This is exactly how I feel.

The season was a mild success. Given that we weren't going to make the Finals this year anyway, we learned about our team. Now the front office needs to make one or more significant moves.

It feels like most of what I'm seeing on social media makes me think that our fanbase considers this season a success. I'm curious to know how this board feels about the 2018/2019 season. While this season definitely wasn't a disaster, bringing back basically the same team and only winning one game in the playoffs isn't a successful season in my mind. What do you think?
This is not success.

First and foremost for me, I want homecourt in the first round. The DWill/Boozer era never had it and it mattered then. This team has never had it and it matters now.

The regular season matters. We NEED homecourt in the first round.

We got a bad draw in the playoffs this year. But the alternative was Portland. That's a team I "wanted" to play in the first round, but damn, not sure that would have worked out any better.

Obviously the west is tough. Good! You don't win championships because the league lays down and gives it to you. You have to earn it.

But no, this season started slow. We struggled even though we brought back the same team. The benefit of bringing back the same team was supposed to be hitting the ground running. But we stumbled.

We got hot in Jan and had a great record the second half of the season. But NBA seasons are not 1/2 a season long, they are a whole season long. So we didn't have homecourt in the first round.

Not sure what the **** happened to Joe in the playoffs, but we didn't really have Joe in the playoffs. The big move mid-season was getting Korver and we surged after getting him, but he didn't really play in the playoffs. Welp, there goes 3-pt shooting, I'm sure we didn't want any 3-pt shooting in the playoffs.

Not happy with the season. Not doom and gloom, but not happy.

This is not success.

First and foremost for me, I want homecourt in the first round. The DWill/Boozer era never had it and it mattered then. This team has never had it and it matters now.

The regular season matters. We NEED homecourt in the first round.

We got a bad draw in the playoffs this year. But the alternative was Portland. That's a team I "wanted" to play in the first round, but damn, not sure that would have worked out any better.

Obviously the west is tough. Good! You don't win championships because the league lays down and gives it to you. You have to earn it.

But no, this season started slow. We struggled even though we brought back the same team. The benefit of bringing back the same team was supposed to be hitting the ground running. But we stumbled.

We got hot in Jan and had a great record the second half of the season. But NBA seasons are not 1/2 a season long, they are a whole season long. So we didn't have homecourt in the first round.

Not sure what the **** happened to Joe in the playoffs, but we didn't really have Joe in the playoffs. The big move mid-season was getting Korver and we surged after getting him, but he didn't really play in the playoffs. Welp, there goes 3-pt shooting, I'm sure we didn't want any 3-pt shooting in the playoffs.

Not happy with the season. Not doom and gloom, but not happy.
That's fair.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I put yes... success is not always obvious it is incremental. DM got a little better, Rudy added some things, Royce looks like a good core piece...

We didn’t have as much success as I wanted but 50 wins is solid and we have some opportunities... what will make this a big jump forward is if we are able to take the info and improve and pivot/move on from some guys/strategies. We need more shooting on the floor... we need a consistent shooting big... we need more playmaking. We should move on from Exum and look to a different solution at 1.

If we land a free agent or trade for a good piece plus have some development from DM, Royce, Allen we might look back at this season a little differently. I think Grayson can be judged fairly next year and that he will be a solid bench rotation piece.

This season’s success or failure is really dependent on what we do this summer.

I put yes... success is not always obvious it is incremental. DM got a little better, Rudy added some things, Royce looks like a good core piece...

We didn’t have as much success as I wanted but 50 wins is solid and we have some opportunities... what will make this a big jump forward is if we are able to take the info and improve and pivot/move on from some guys/strategies. We need more shooting on the floor... we need a consistent shooting big... we need more playmaking. We should move on from Exum and look to a different solution at 1.

If we land a free agent or trade for a good piece plus have some development from DM, Royce, Allen we might look back at this season a little differently. I think Grayson can be judged fairly next year and that he will be a solid bench rotation piece.

This season’s success or failure is really dependent on what we do this summer.

But that’s not this season. Lol. The season is over. If you have to base this seasons success in what we do for next season this one failed.

But that’s not this season. Lol. The season is over. If you have to base this seasons success in what we do for next season this one failed.

You are being too rigid imo... this season gave us the data we need to use this summer. Last year a valid case could be made for running it back... we discovered that this group kinda plateaued... not individually but as a group. If we don’t or can’t use this data then fine call the season a failure... if we do the. It’s a success.

DM and Rudy made solid improvements... those are the two most important guys to the franchise. We could have easily gone the other way and gotten worse... but they improved. It is hard for me to call this season a “failure”... “disappointing” sure... teams in several markets would call our season the best season for their franchises in the last 10 years. Pass and Fail is a tough grading system... forced to pick I’d say pass. Under a traditional grading system I’d say we got a B- or C+.

The only way it would have been successful is if there was internal improvement. Instead it was stagnation and in some cases regression.

Hell no... The only way you could conclude that is if you've got your head stuck in a vacuum.

Utah didn't make any big strides towards the West's elite, their stagnant, this is known as "NBA purgatory"