What's new

We Are No. 27

homeytennis

In an article in the Deseret New we have the 27th best power ranking just behind Charlotte and Al. I must say I like it and do approve.

In an article in the Deseret New we have the 27th best power ranking just behind Charlotte and Al. I must say I like it and do approve.

This is why I say that Utah will turn some heads. We are predicted to be horrible and I do not see it. Yeah it'll be rough and there will be alot of losses. But we have a hungry, talented group of players, 6 to be exact. They will do better than predicted.

3 is a good spot to be. Sure-fire stud, with a decent chance to move up in the lotto.

The young core will grow and learn this year, but the Jazz will be bad. I'll be shocked if they win more than a handful of games and end up in the top five picks. As long as they figure out who are the key pieces moving forward. I'll watch more and spend more as long as I think they're on the right track, regardless of how much they win or lose right now.

This is why I say that Utah will turn some heads. We are predicted to be horrible and I do not see it. Yeah it'll be rough and there will be alot of losses. But we have a hungry, talented group of players, 6 to be exact. They will do better than predicted.

There is two minutes left in the game, you are down by three. OR, there is two minutes left in the game and you are up three.

Who do you give it to that can get you a bucket to seal the win or get you back in it?

And Hayward isn't that guy. He can't create for himself.

Burks? Kanter? Favors?

We have NOBODY who can do that. We are going to lose a lot of games due to that fact alone. And that assumes our bench is good enough to keep the game close...

There is two minutes left in the game, you are down by three. OR, there is two minutes left in the game and you are up three.

Who do you give it to that can get you a bucket to seal the win or get you back in it?

Burks? Kanter? Favors?

We have NOBODY who can do that. We are going to lose a lot of games due to that fact alone. And that assumes our bench is good enough to keep the game close...

On this team I would go with either Burks in a slashing attack with his fantastic ability to get to the line, Burke hitting Hayward for a J and have Hayward/Burke drop it into Favors or Kanter down low. They are much faster going to the hoop than Big Al is.

I am under no illusions that it will be rough. I simply that there is enough talent in enough places to win some of those games. You disagree, great. Time will tell.

Odd. I like Kanter, but I have called him a lot of names like confused and inexperienced, but when you posed your question, Kanter was who came to mind. He's the only player we have who can will himself to a basket regardless of what anyone else does.

Championship caliber teams are the ones who have 'the guy'. However, a team of young talent can vie for the eighth playoff spot, and that is where I predict we'll be. In it until the last week where luck will determine whether or not they get in.

Love the enthusiasm. Don't see how we run anything resembling an offense though. Gordon Hayward is the clear cut leader -- he had absolutely trash #'s in initiating the offense last season. I'm pretty pumped for the positive vibe coming out of the Team USA mini-camp but don't see Hayward carrying this squad even if he makes huge leaps ("Criminally underestimating").

Modern offenses are all isolation and P&R with some post mixed in. The old playbooks don't work without a star to a) create weaknesses and b) bail them out when they break down. Jazz have no iso players, have no proven P&R or post players. Post will come along but you can't rely on Alfense. This team is going to struggle getting to 80 points many nights.

Love the enthusiasm. Don't see how we run anything resembling an offense though. Gordon Hayward is the clear cut leader -- he had absolutely trash #'s in initiating the offense last season. I'm pretty pumped for the positive vibe coming out of the Team USA mini-camp but don't see Hayward carrying this squad even if he makes huge leaps ("Criminally underestimating").

Modern offenses are all isolation and P&R with some post mixed in. The old playbooks don't work without a star to a) create weaknesses and b) bail them out when they break down. Jazz have no iso players, have no proven P&R or post players. Post will come along but you can't rely on Alfense. This team is going to struggle getting to 80 points many nights.

This. 100x's this. Hayward looked great in the USA camp...but he still couldn't create his own shot. Hayward is the perfect #3 guy on a title winning team. Great defense, amazing three point shooter, does what the team needs from him. He won't be able to carry a team.

We will lose games this year that we only score in the 50's. That is how bad this offense is. I do believe that we will win a few games where the other team only scores in the 60's though (like a 65-75 score). This year will be a lot funner than last year to watch, but it will be very, very ugly some games.

Also, that is why I'd be careful overpaying Hayward or paying him on potential. I think we have seen the type of player he is, and that is a great third option, a good defender, a fantastic three point shooter, may make an All-Star game if he is on a great team. He is not a #1 option. I'd hope he wouldn't be our #2 option either.

Burks? Kanter? Favors?

There's 12 minutes left in the game, you are down by three - or up by three.

Corbin has to rest the starters for 5 mins in order to give them enough energy to finish the game.

Now who is your "go-to" guy? Jefferson, Lucas, Biedrins, Evans? I guess Rush. Smart teams will just push him out well beyond his range.

Starters return, Jazz down by 10 or more. Game over.

Hayward is the perfect #3 guy on a title winning team. Great defense, amazing three point shooter, does what the team needs from him. He won't be able to carry a team.

Disagree. 18/4/4 with 6 FTA makes Hayward an 2nd team All Star. That's not very far away from 14/3/3 and 4 FTA on conservative playing time.

Hayward is really starting to look like Ginobili, and put up pretty Ginobili-esque stats last season. He's still very young @ 23. Manu was 25 when he came into the league and had plenty professional experience overseas. He didn't break out until his third year. Hayward is going to be a handful for every team by the time he's 27. I'm loving his projections when I remember that he won't be close to his 5-6 year peak for probably 4 more years.

Burks? Kanter? Favors?

I mostly think you are right, but for you to say that we definately have NOBODY who is a closer type guy might not be accurate.

How many opportunities have favors, kanter, or burks been given to try to get a big time bucket in crunch time.

Maybe one of those guys is the player you are describing but just has not had the chance to show it yet.
Is this likely? No.... possible? Yes.

I think Hayward last year had several attempts at being a "closer" and I think the Heat game was the closest to being successful with that FT range jumper he hit, who knows if he can improve in that area but I'm certainly not going to bet against him improving and setting up a teammate for those shots next year. Burks is the best slasher/driver on the team but at the end of games he likely wont get any calls so he would also need to learn to dish to an open teammate and trust they will hit the open shot.

However I think the main teaching point being missed offensively this season is they will all have to buy into running and executing a team offense and learning to trust their teammates. If they can do that, that will pay dividends for years to come, well IMO.

Corbin has to rest the starters for 5 mins in order to give them enough energy to finish the game.

Now who is your "go-to" guy? Jefferson, Lucas, Biedrins, Evans? I guess Rush. Smart teams will just push him out well beyond his range.

Remember Riggin for Wiggins. :)

If Jerry Sloan were coaching this team...I'd agree with this post 1000%. Corbin in charge?...he'll find a way to **** it up. Biedrins and Jefferson probably play the most minutes this coming season. That being said, if tanking is the hidden agenda here, then there's no better Coach to have than Corbin.

We are horrible in the sense that we won't win a lot of games. I think we will compete, have a lot of exciting games, and win some we shouldn't.

We'll be interesting, hopefully exciting, no matter how many games we lose.

This is why I think it's going to get worse for Trey Burke before it gets better and it's not all his fault. In the beginning of the season, I can see Burke being stuck with the ball in his hands in a lot pressure possessions late in games.

This is why I think it's going to get worse for Trey Burke before it gets better and it's not all his fault. In the beginning of the season, I can see Burke being stuck with the ball in his hands in a lot pressure possessions late in games.

Both Bieds and RJeff had great stats not that long ago. Perhaps they can return to form as they were watching a lot last season.

I see this happening. Last year the starters dug us in a hole and were bailed out by the bench. This year our starters may play even, but the bench (or lack thereof) will cost us wins.