What's new

We Got Swindled by Sexton (And Eddie Zero Sucks)

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
Ooof.

I know it's early and the whole return from injury thing, but I see low IQ and game feel written all over Sexton. I think the Jazz are going to try and develop him, but it might be one of those things were we take away what makes him a potentially useful player and we just neuter his game down to being a completely average backup point guard.

Have you ever seen a defender so bad who actually tries, but has no concept of team defense and any capable offensive player can get space on him with any move?

We should probably just tell him to play his score first game, hope some team falls for it, and trade him ASAP for any kind of pick compensation we can get. That contract is looking like a massive overpay at this point. He's probably an 8 million dollar a year player from what I've seen on the court (and that's being generous if he can return back to his score first combo guard mentality instead of trying to expand his game).

Hard to believe that he suddenly is just a totally mediocre player, but maybe that’s the case.

Either way, a Knicks deal would’ve been better. No one can convince me otherwise.

Hard to believe that he suddenly is just a totally mediocre player, but maybe that’s the case.

Either way, a Knicks deal would’ve been better. No one can convince me otherwise.
Two unprotected Knicks pick by themselves > the entirety of what the Jazz got from Cleveland.

Fight me.

Danny sure proved the Knicks who’s boss though and nothing matters more than his ego.

He scored 24 a game on a really bad team. We know how the games look when no one cares and your team is down by 20.

Also keep in mind he scored those points while having an extremely low assist percentage. He was trying to do one thing and managed to do that one thing well, but in an extremely easy context of being on a terrible team.

I'm sure he isnt *this* mediocre, but I'm not convinced he isnt mediocre.

Two unprotected Knicks pick by themselves > the entirety of what the Jazz got from Cleveland.

Fight me.

Danny sure proved the Knicks who’s boss though and nothing matters more than his ego.
Do you feel the same if those picks were ‘23 and ‘25? Can’t remember where I heard it, but believe one of the rumors swirling was the Knicks were unwilling to offer unprotected picks that extended too far out into the future:

He scored 24 a game on a really bad team. We know how the games look when no one cares and your team is down by 20.

Also keep in mind he scored those points while having an extremely low assist percentage. He was trying to do one thing and managed to do that one thing well, but in an extremely easy context of being on a terrible team.

I'm sure he isnt *this* mediocre, but I'm not convinced he isnt mediocre.
That’s fair. People weren’t wrong to doubt that he’s a real piece on a winner.

That being said, if he just reverts to what he was but in a 6th man role, that is just fine. He might not be a facilitator, but putting up volume efficiency works well, too.

That’s fair. People weren’t wrong to doubt that he’s a real piece on a winner.

That being said, if he just reverts to what he was an is in a 6th man role, that is just fine. He might not be a facilitator, but putting up volume efficiency works well, too.
It will be better once the new contracts kick in and 17 million a year looks more like 12 million per year.

It's certainly not the end of the world, but the moment he gets his value somewhat back and starts scoring and the Jazz are losing, I personally would look to move off him if they can.

Do you feel the same if those picks were ‘23 and ‘25? Can’t remember where I heard it, but believe one of the rumors swirling was the Knicks were unwilling to offer unprotected picks that extended too far out into the future:
I’d prefer at least one earlier pick. I think that team with Donovan is a lottery pick this year so long as Randle is still there. Without an elite screen setter and garbage man, I think Donovan is more mirage than superstar.

Way, Way, Too early.

I already said this in the game thread, but he just looks uncomfortable right now. It could be a lot of things. He'll have time this year to either figure it out or for the team to put him in better positions to succeed.

He very probably is just a 6th man type of player, which I think he'll eventually be fine in that role if we end up going there.

Way, Way, Too early.

I already said this in the game thread, but he just looks uncomfortable right now. It could be a lot of things. He'll have time this year to either figure it out or for the team to put him in better positions to succeed.

He very probably is just a 6th man type of player, which I think he'll eventually be fine in that role if we end up going there.
Yeah, too early, but I'm not seeing lottery talent.

Will Hardy has a monumental development task with a lot of players on this team.

Sexton is the ****... just wait.

I actually don't care if he is amazing or not. He is a Bonafide NBA scorer. We pay him like a high level 6th man... so if he becomes more its the icing on the cake.

That said... holy ****... he missed all of last year give him a minute.

Sexton is the ****... just wait.

I actually don't care if he is amazing or not. He is a Bonafide NBA scorer. We pay him like a high level 6th man... so if he becomes more its the icing on the cake.

That said... holy ****... he missed all of last year give him a minute.
I'm giving him time. Not like I'm in some hurry to only player good players or find out right away, but I'm staking my early claim to "I dont believe in Sexton".

I'm giving him time. Not like I'm in some hurry to only player good players or find out right away, but I'm staking my early claim to "I dont believe in Sexton".
Depends on what you mean by not believing in him... not believing he's a sixth man that can help you win is different than not believing he can be a starter scoring 25 a night on a good team. I'm somewhere in between.

I like his high effort on defense but yeah he is small and doesn't know what he is doing. I think he struggle toggling between passing and scoring too... which just kinda strikes me as low BBIQ or just not as fast with the processing of what is going on. You can see it happen with JC too... he struggles when he tries to toggle between scoring and passing... Don had some of this too.... and none of those guys are your cup of tea iirc.... so this take makes sense. I won't needle you for reals on this one but when he scorers 40 in a game we will bump and pound this thread harder than @Hearsky 's mom.

After watching last night, I wish we could cut a bunch of guys and go dumpster diving with guys that are showing up on the waiver wire. The waived guys couldn't be worse.

So far, he looks quite small and lacking in athleticism, which makes him unable to get much done. He was overmatched going against bigger guards like Joshua Primo last night. He's not much of a defender either right now.

I was just trying to be positive in the moment but the reality is the Knicks package was better for us now and for the future.
I do think Lauri is a better player than I expected. Seeing some of the benefits of his post stuff and have been impressed at how well he moves. I think he goes 20/10 this year and becomes a future piece or a good trade asset.