What's new

We Need to Talk a Little Otto Porter

Tom Pitt

Hoy fellow Jazz fans or fellow members of the Jazzfanz online community.

A few things I need to get off my chest. Let's start with Otto Porter

Have you guys been paying attention to this guy since the trade? (If you pull up his player profile on ESPN dude looks insanely like Favors in the picture btw. A little uncanny.) If all I needed to do was give up Exum and Favors for Porter I would have because we need shot makers and that guy in Quin's system is a shot maker. Am I in the minority here?

Btw, in re Exum, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it aint a damn on mongoose. That said, let's consider for a moment a few thoughts:

1:Still waiting to see Dante hit a shot off the dribble in an NBA game. We're 5 years in...\

2-Dude is a bonafide defender in the playoffs. His defense can swing a playoff series BUT you need to score points to win that series and we can't score points.

Otto could get you buckets. I bet he averages close to 20 a game in Quin's system and you know he'd get the shots to get there. I mean half the time guys on the team are throwing the ball around the perimeter like it's a hot potato. And then tricky Ricky is shooting midrange 2's at the end of the hot clock. either that or Donovan is hoisting 3's from his mother in law's house.

I never thought I'd say this but I feel like it needs to be said but I also feel like a bad person for being about to say it it so let's see how this goes: Hey DL your on the clock. Also, did DL piss off like every other GM in the league except for Koby Altman, the Cavs GM. Nobody will make a deal with us.

When DL writes his biography, I'm a little worried the title will be Whiffing Away. As in at the deadline or in FA. I don't blame him at all for free agency non signings. That's to be suspected and if anything he has made Utah a more attractive place to play. We signed Joe Johnson which was a surprise as Smooth Jazz Joe Johnson had some clout around the league and he chose to come to UTAH! Obviously DL's most noteworthy moves have been the draft day acquisitions of Donovan and Rudy. If you take those away though, it's been a little rough, but certainly not worse than the Average GM. Burks and 2 second rounders for a 37 almost 38 knock down shooter didnt make a ton of sense to me. but I guess we're still watching that unfurl. I'm not really sure what to make of DL at this point. It's been good and meh.

I get why he didn't pursue a 31 year old point guard with a chubby injury history, I wouldn't have either but Otto certainly passes the eye test. and yeah his scoring numbers don't glitter but dude only takes like 11 shots a game. That's 2 more shots per game than what Stockton took for his career mind you. And he's doing it in a Wizard's locker room that's... well who the hell knows what's going on there. I've heard John Wall is an Epic D*** though.

Otto shoots 45% from 3. Are you kidding me? Quin can get Otto good looks from 3 and everyone knows that. At least more good looks than Scotti Brooks could. This would have helped Donovan too btw.

So if the price was Exum, Favors and a 1st. or Rubio included and we take another guy back to make the salaries work, I don't get why we didnt do it. It's not like we're gonna get someone in FA that is a real game changer anyway. This is Utah for heaven sakes.

And for all you Exum Defenders out there, I agree Exum should be defended to a certain degree. He has value. His talent is no doubt tantalizing. But he's never gonna be a shot maker. That is clear. We need shot makers. We need guys who can put the ball in the basket. Otto has some intrigue and upside about him in that sense. Donovan, Otto, and Rudy and the right cast of characters, with Quin Snyder scheming like a madman holding a Tommy gun for no other reason than he looks like he should be holding one. That team would have done some interesting things.

Last edited:
Hoy fellow Jazz fans or fellow members of the Jazzfanz online community.

A few things I need to get off my chest. Let's start with Otto Porter

Have you guys been paying attention to this guy since the trade? (If you pull up his player profile on ESPN dude looks insanely like Favors in the picture btw. A little uncanny.) If all I needed to do was give up Exum and Favors for Porter I would have because we need shot makers and that guy in Quin's system is a shot maker. Am I in the minority here?

Btw, in re Exum, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it aint a damn on mongoose. That said, let's consider for a moment a few thoughts:

1:Still waiting to see Dante hit a shot off the dribble in an NBA game. We're 5 years in...\

2-Dude is a bonafide defender in the playoffs. His defense can swing a playoff series BUT you need to score points to win that series and we can't score points.

Otto could get you buckets. I bet he averages close to 20 a game in Quin's system and you know he'd get the shots to get there. I mean half the time guys on the team are throwing the ball around the perimeter like it's a hot potato. And then tricky Ricky is shooting midrange 2's at the end of the hot clock. either that or Donovan is hoisting 3's from his mother in law's house.

I never thought I'd say this but I feel like it needs to be said but I also feel like a bad person for being about to say it it so let's see how this goes: Hey DL your on the clock. Also, did DL piss off like every other GM in the league except for Koby Altman, the Cavs GM. Nobody will make a deal with us.

When DL writes his biography, I'm a little worried the title will be Whiffing Away. As in at the deadline or in FA. I don't blame him at all for free agency non signings. That's to be suspected and if anything he has made Utah a more attractive place to play. We signed Joe Johnson which was a surprise as Smooth Jazz Joe Johnson had some clout around the league and he chose to come to UTAH! Obviously DL's most noteworthy moves have been the draft day acquisitions of Donovan and Rudy. If you take those away though, it's been a little rough, but certainly not worse than the Average GM. Burks and 2 second rounders for a 37 almost 38 knock down shooter didnt make a ton of sense to me. but I guess we're still watching that unfurl. I'm not really sure what to make of DL at this point. It's been good and meh.

That sounded better in my head. I get why he didn't pursue a 31 year old point guard with a chubby injury history, I wouldn't have either but Otto certainly passes the eye test. and yeah his scoring numbers don't glitter but dude only takes like 11 shots a game. That's 2 more shots per game than what Stockton took for his career mind you. And he's doing it in a Wizard's locker room that's... well when the hell knows what's going on there. I've heard John Wall is an Epic D*** though.

Otto shoots 45% from 3. Are you kidding me? Quin can get Otto good looks from 3 and every knows that. At least more good looks than Scotti Brooks could. This would have helped Donovan too btw.

So if the price was Exum, Favors and a 1st. or Rubio included and we take another guy back to make the salaries work, I don't get why we didnt do it. It's not like we're gonna get someone in FA that is a real game changer anyway. This is Utah for heaven sakes.

And for all you Exum Defenders out there, I agree Exum should be defended to a certain degree. He has value. His talent is no doubt tantalizing. But he's never gonna be a shot maker. That is clear. We need shot makers. We need guys who can put the ball in the basket. Otto has some intrigue and upside about him in that sense. Donovan, Otto, and Rudy and the right cast of characters, with Quin Snyder scheming like a madman holding a Tommy gun for no other reason than he looks like he should be holding one. That team would have done some interesting things.

Fast forward to 32 seconds. So he does hit one every five years.

Otto is not what we need. We need a shot creator or two. Otto can't create. So I don't really care that we didn't get him. I'm not even sure we could have gotten him anyway. I don't think that Washington planned on moving him but Chicago happened to call with an offer they loved because that trade happened outta nowhere and in a hurry. Washington must be extremely high on Portis or Parker or both.

I wonder if DL can download an app that’ll help him be in the right place at the right time whenever the idiots in DC lose their minds.

I don’t think any of this has to do with Exum. Also, has Porter been great? I’m not going to look it up.

We probably didn't have the pieces the Wizards wanted. Exum is a bad fit next to Wall though, neither can space the floor reliably. The Wiz could easily think he had negative value at 11m a year, he is no longer on that cheap rookie contract.

We probably didn't have the pieces the Wizards wanted.

I just logged in to post this. People just assume real life is NBA2K and you can just wheel and deal with no constraints but matching salaries. You just can't know what happened. Maybe the Wizards are super high on Portis' basketball ability. Or maybe they like his right hook and figured he'd put fear in that dysfunctional locker room. Maybe they're like masochistic teachers with over-inflated ego and they love rebuild projects and figure they can be the ones to unlock the potential that made Parker the second pick. Maybe Porter gave them a list of destinations and it didn't include SLC. Maybe they don't think much of Derrick or Dante.

It's just not as simple as "we had 24 million in salary to send back, wtf DL?"

We were interested but the asking price was too high according to several reports. And we were mostly offering assets they didn't want (expirings, picks).

As I always say, it takes two to tango. Perhaps the Wizz were higher on the young Bulls players and we never really stood a chance. We only have Exum, Bradley, Allen, Royce. So why cry over spilled milk. It's not even like Conley's trade where we had an idea of the pieces involved.

Here is what I have pieced together listening to Larsens, Locke, and others...

Washington wanted Parker and Portis.. they did not want picks... since they preferred young players and aren't smart enough to maybe route the picks to other players for young players... they took Chicago's package.

The Wizards are like Homer Simpson when he dropped a peanut into the couch... then goes digging for the peanut and pulls out $20 and let's out a disapproving groan before his subconscious tells him "$20 can buy many peanuts"... the then woohoo's. The Wiz are Homer without a subconscious.