What's new

What’s the biggest mistakes the Jazz FO has ever made?

What’s the biggest mistakes the Jazz FO has ever made?

• Trading Mike Conley to the T’Wolves

• We don’t make mistakes

Results are only viewable after voting.
I hated that trade with a passion but I still think we could have won a title after making that trade if DL didn't **** up the Dok pick and our MLE signings so badly over his final 3 years.
Making that trade means we can’t make those other mistakes. Had we not traded for Conley, I don’t think we make the Dok pick imo
I don't think they would have been as successful. Still damn good but Conley and NAW have been those elite glue guys that fill in the cracks. We see those types of guys playing key roles on most great teams.
Maybe but only by 2-4 picks so it’s marginal but you can pin that teams success squarely on Ants shoulders

I think the biggest mistake of the last decade was actually getting Conley in the first place. The front office spent quite a few assets on the over-the-hill small point guard, including Grayson Allen who would have fit so well going forward. At the Jazz Conley has been either hurt when it counted, or, when healthy, being a poor fit with Mitchell in the tiny no-defense backcourt. This doomed the Gobert-Mitchell Jazz teams. Finally, when the Jazz decided to blow the team, they, predictably, got very little value back by trading him.
Exactly we gained zero value for Conley, Bogdanovic, Vendo, NAW and others. That is stupid.

I think the biggest mistake of the last decade was actually getting Conley in the first place. The front office spent quite a few assets on the over-the-hill small point guard, including Grayson Allen who would have fit so well going forward. At the Jazz Conley has been either hurt when it counted, or, when healthy, being a poor fit with Mitchell in the tiny no-defense backcourt. This doomed the Gobert-Mitchell Jazz teams. Finally, when the Jazz decided to blow the team, they, predictably, got very little value back by trading him.
Yeah it was never a good idea to pair DM with a small PG and even worse when we acquire a non-defender in Bogey that same summer. Not to mention both ate a chunk into our salary space. Keeping Grayson, for example, would've been a much cheaper and better option than paying nearly 20mil a year for Bogey.

Yeah it was never a good idea to pair DM with a small PG and even worse when we acquire a non-defender in Bogey that same summer. Not to mention both ate a chunk into our salary space. Keeping Grayson, for example, would've been a much cheaper and better option than paying nearly 20mil a year for Bogey.
The Jazz decided to build a team by having Gobert being surrounded by four undersized for their position players, which is pure lunacy. The takeaway from bringing in Conley is to be patient and not jump on the first available trade deal. It's better to wait a year then lock the team in several years of unsolvable problems.

Bogey was way more problematic defensively than Conley. Bogey couldn't figure out how to rotate or help the helper. He had a few good individual defensive moments, but was a terrible team defender.
Bogey is the ultimate "tweener" who doesn't have a NBA position defensively. His best role is to put up empty stats on bad NBA teams but a luxury for good teams that have championship aspiration. Yes he has had some memorable moments for us but we would have been much better off keeping Grayson or spending the money on legit 3D wings.

Bogey is the ultimate "tweener" who doesn't have a NBA position defensively. His best role is to put up empty stats on bad NBA teams but a luxury for good teams that have championship aspiration. Yes he has had some memorable moments for us but we would have been much better off keeping Grayson or spending the money on legit 3D wings.

I wouldn't consider Bogey an empty stats guy. His offense was legit. He just wasn't going to work defensively for a team like we had. He would be fine in if he was surrounded by defenders.

I wouldn't consider Bogey an empty stats guy. His offense was legit. He just wasn't going to work defensively for a team like we had. He would be fine in if he was surrounded by defenders.
He's empty stats in the sense that he would score some points for you on one end then give up just as many points for you on the other end. Plus I think Bogey's offense is highly overrated. What's he good on offense other than shooting? Is he a good shot creator? Is he good at beating the defense with his dribble? Is he good on the post? Is he a good passer? Is he a good playmaker? He is bad defensively but his offense surely doesn't do enough to cover his defense shortcomings.

To me he's just a luxury shooter that we can easily substitute with someone like Grayson or even Niang. You never overpay for shooters.

I haven’t kept up with this thread, but I just want to make sure trading away the right to pick Magic Johnson is on here. Could we have had a trio of Magic, Malone, and Stockton?

Or could we have had Magic, Dominique Wilkins, we drafted then traded him away, and Malone and Stockton?

I haven’t kept up with this thread, but I just want to make sure trading away the right to pick Magic Johnson is on here. Could we have had a trio of Magic, Malone, and Stockton?

Or could we have had Magic, Dominique Wilkins, we drafted then traded him away, and Malone and Stockton?
We didn't trade away the right to Magic Johnson. They signed Gail Goodrich. Later the league decided to prevent FAs from leaving (big markets) they decided to take the Jazz #1 pick away. The Jazz were unaware of this when signing Gail. We got ****ed.

We didn't trade away the right to Magic Johnson. They signed Gail Goodrich. Later the league decided to prevent FAs from leaving (big markets) they decided to take the Jazz #1 pick away. The Jazz were unaware of this when signing Gail. We got ****ed.
Holy **** this really is a cursed franchise and makes me hate the lakers even more. I didn’t know that was possible