What's new

What does Donovans season actually look like?

oneye

2018 Award Winner
We all love Donovan, we all want to see him be the most successful guy ever, but listening to Locked on Jazz today, I think Locke has some valid points on Donovan. He had such an amazing season last year for a rookie, blew away expectations, and did something very....VERY few players have ever done their rookie year. I think we all (including myself) feel like he is going to take another big jump this season, but I mean that would have to be a tough jump on top of a tough jump he made last season.

I know Donovan is going to be very good. I'm all but certain he is going to be a superstar and I think could even average near 30 ppg some season during his career, I think he has chances at MVP at some point within the next 6 seasons.

I'm simply talking about season 2, realistically what do you actually predict it's going to look like through a not-homer lenses. My homer lenses say he will drastically improve from 3, average 25,4,4.

Looking at the tiny sample size of pre-season, along with last season and most of his career through non-homer lenses, I think the 3 is still going to be something where he has some good nights, and some bad nights and may end up improving his percentage from 3 minimally at least this season. He hasn't shot it all that well in preseason, which yes it's preseason, but those looks should actually be better in preseason when teams aren't playing full throttle. Like I said, love Donovan, think he's a super-star, think he will still improve drastically on a lot of things, but I also wonder if season 2 takes as big of a jump as we are hoping or some are pumping. That doesn't mean a sophomore slump or anything, I don't think pressure gets to him, and I think he will take a step forward, I just wonder how big that step ends up being. The first stretch of the Jazz schedule has a lot of road games and is a pretty tough schedule. This team, and Donovan will be tested again. I think they'll do fine, I just hope we all can be okay, including himself, if Donovan has rough stretches and bad games still during this season. He's a superstar, but to take a giant step again this season would mean he's just ridiculous. Through non-homer lenses I would say 22,3,3 is realistic and just slightly upping his 3 point %.

Last edited:
I think he does something like 23.5 p, 4.5 A, and 4 R on 44/37/82 shooting. I think there will be improvements with him getting to the FT line and slight shooting improvements, but that he will still have some improvement to make on efficiency. If we had a less congested court I think he could push 25 a game.

I could see some here being slightly disappointed given he had such a meteoric rise during his rookie year. I think there will be steady improvement but it might be more nuanced... better playmaker, better defender, less turnovers, better efficiency... but the raw numbers may not differ much from his prior season per-36.

Through non-homer lenses I would say 22,3,3 is realistic and just slightly upping his 3 point %
I get the tempered expectations. But he got more assists and rebounds than that last year, and once he settled into the offense about 10 games in it felt like he was getting about 25 a game on average. Once he started taking off his PPG was super low and he was constantly raising it, but there should be no learning curve this year, so he can start well and hopefully keep it consistent.

Last year was amazing, just doing the same or maybe even a bit worse than last year might be a reasonable expectation. But I really don’t see much that seems like an anomaly from last year (example: Tatum hit 43% from 3 last year which is a ridiculous number). Maybe his insane finishes at the rim? But at some point you just have to admit the guy is great at that, the skill won’t disappear. Defenses were keyed on him for over half the season last year, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Idk, realistic expectations are good. And I think this year efficiency will be better than raw numbers. But I have every confidence in the kid continuing to get better. I’m buying Mitchell stock. Lots of it.

I get the tempered expectations. But he got more assists and rebounds than that last year, and once he settled into the offense about 10 games in it felt like he was getting about 25 a game on average. Once he started taking off his PPG was super low and he was constantly raising it, but there should be no learning curve this year, so he can start well and hopefully keep it consistent.

Last year was amazing, just doing the same or maybe even a bit worse than last year might be a reasonable expectation. But I really don’t see much that seems like an anomaly from last year (example: Tatum hit 43% from 3 last year which is a ridiculous number). Maybe his insane finishes at the rim? But at some point you just have to admit the guy is great at that, the skill won’t disappear. Defenses were keyed on him for over half the season last year, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Idk, realistic expectations are good. And I think this year efficiency will be better than raw numbers. But I have every confidence in the kid continuing to get better. I’m buying Mitchell stock. Lots of it.
Agreed, Mitchell stock is only going to get more valuable. I think we will certainly get the Donovan from the second half of last season, I’m just saying I think some expect a mammoth jump from that and I think it may be more gradual than some expect. You’re probably right in the fact he’ll average more assists and rebounds than I predicted there.

His rookie year was sensational and unique, I don't remember anything like it. He outplayed the reigning MVP and knocked him out. He experienced so much on and off the court in a relatively short time. There is much more to do and I'm sure with his work ethic, determination and intelligence he'll keep moving. It's just when he arrives there too fast I hope he does not end up a Martin Eden. Dude also seems to have a superior real life IQ and you know, one needs to be a bit less brainy to be able to keep locked in for 100 freaking games every year. First world problems, yes, and we have the coaches that would be able to address such potential ontological issues but it's a valid concern nonetheless.

Take last season and knock the first two months off of his statistical average. I expect that to be the floor.

I think He'll improve on his drive and kick, draw more defenders to open things up for the three and make those around him better. More than anything I'm with tfivas, I hope he can stay healthy.

If I'm being realistic I see something like
23 PPG
44.5% FG
35.5% 3FG
85% FT
4.5 RPG
4.5 APG
1.5 SPG
2.0 TOPG
0.3 BPG

That would be improvement in almost everything. But after last year I'm not going to put any limits on what he could do. He's a special talent.

25+, 5 and 5. He will also cure cancer and reverse global warming. All NBA second team and will also help old ladies with their groceries. He may also be elected governor of Utah for life. (not sure if its and election year, don't think it really matters)

23 PPG
44.5% FG
35.5% 3FG
85% FT
4.5 RPG
4.5 APG
1.5 SPG
2.0 TOPG
0.3 BPG

That would be improvement in almost everything. But after last year I'm not going to put any limits on what he could do. He's a special talent.

I find most of that realistic, however he will realistically average more like 27 points per game IMO. But, to be honest I’d rather see him average 20 points and 7-8 assists then 27 and 4

35.5% 3FG
About Donovan's 3-point percentage: it wasn't actually as good as it appeared, so we should adjust our expectations (and assessments) accordingly.

Up to Nov 22 (game 19), his 3-pt% was only 31.8% (34/107). He then had an insane shooting stretch over the next 6 games up to Dec 5, never shooting under 40% in any game and 49.1% overall, and on a high volume (27/55). After this hot streak, his shooting percentage from deep had vaulted up to 37.7%.

Unfortunately, that was his peak. His shooting percentage trended down from that point until almost the end of the season. It recovered slightly during one three-game hot streak (13/21) late in January, but those gains were more than undone by a cold streak from mid-March, going 9/44 (20%) over five games, including back-to-back 1/8 and 1/10 stinkers. This is where the downwards trend ended, at 33.5%; his last 9 games lifted him up slightly to his final 34% mark. However, if you take out his 6-game hot streak in December, his 3-pt% over his other 73 games was 32.3%. Also, overall from the end of this streak to the end of the season, it was 32.5%.

In short, other than a 6-game stretch, he shot around the 32% mark from deep. When predicting/assessing his improvement from last year to this, it would be more reasonable to set the baseline using this figure.

i

About Donovan's 3-point percentage: it wasn't actually as good as it appeared, so we should adjust our expectations (and assessments) accordingly.

Up to Nov 22 (game 19), his 3-pt% was only 31.8% (34/107). He then had an insane shooting stretch over the next 6 games up to Dec 5, never shooting under 40% in any game and 49.1% overall, and on a high volume (27/55). After this hot streak, his shooting percentage from deep had vaulted up to 37.7%.

Unfortunately, that was his peak. His shooting percentage trended down from that point until almost the end of the season. It recovered slightly during one three-game hot streak (13/21) late in January, but those gains were more than undone by a cold streak from mid-March, going 9/44 (20%) over five games, including back-to-back 1/8 and 1/10 stinkers. This is where the downwards trend ended, at 33.5%; his last 9 games lifted him up slightly to his final 34% mark. However, if you take out his 6-game hot streak in December, his 3-pt% over his other 73 games was 32.3%. Also, overall from the end of this streak to the end of the season, it was 32.5%.

In short, other than a 6-game stretch, he shot around the 32% mark from deep. When predicting/assessing his improvement from last year to this, it would be more reasonable to set the baseline using this figure.
But his shooting form is perfect. And he can take, and is capable of making, every kind of shot. He already looks better this preseason shooting. Pitino said he improved his shot more than any player he had ever seen, and that process is still ongoing. He’s still the scapegoat on offense so he’ll have to take bad shots sometimes, efficiency won’t be great. But if he becomes a significantly better three point shooter I won’t be surprised at all. Especially spot up, I always feel like those are going in.

But his shooting form is perfect. And he can take, and is capable of making, every kind of shot. He already looks better this preseason shooting. Pitino said he improved his shot more than any player he had ever seen, and that process is still ongoing. He’s still the scapegoat on offense so he’ll have to take bad shots sometimes, efficiency won’t be great. But if he becomes a significantly better three point shooter I won’t be surprised at all. Especially spot up, I always feel like those are going in.
This