What's new

What is Critical Race Theory?

I think mockery is it's own thing. There is real appropriation but it isn't found in a taco.
Mockery is something else entirely. But just saying, hey I like my hair in tight braids isn't "cultural appropriation". Black face, on the other hand, is an entirely different thing.

Mockery is something else entirely. But just saying, hey I like my hair in tight braids isn't "cultural appropriation". Black face, on the other hand, is an entirely different thing.

I agree you on the cultural appropriation thing. My favorite types of music are rap and reggae. I want dreadlocks. Sorry i guess?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

The only thing on the list that bugs me is cultural appropriation. That's such a load of crap. Without cultural appropriation throughout human history there would be no culture, like at all. So much for us being a melting pot.
Making jerked chicken, if it's called cultural appropriation at all, doesn't seem to be an issue. Minstrels shows are terrible. There are degrees of cultural appropriation in between them. Many of the items under the line can be laudatory with good intentions, but are used as cover by those who are too lazy, self-righteous, or mean-spirited to change.

Making jerked chicken, if it's called cultural appropriation at all, doesn't seem to be an issue. Minstrels shows are terrible. There are degrees of cultural appropriation in between them. Many of the items under the line can be laudatory with good intentions, but are used as cover by those who are too lazy, self-righteous, or mean-spirited to change.

I think that is ascribing intent to a vast swath of people who have no such intent, which is my biggest problem with cultural appropriation. I think those

who are too lazy, self-righteous, or mean-spirited to change

are not the majority of the people. Most people who are mean-spirited and self-righteous tend to openly mock those cultures, and even become militant about it. But the lazy aspect applies to literally every one of us at some point or another. Black face and minstrel shows and what-have-you rightly get put down, but that is indicative of the tipping point. Most things the cultural appropriation watch-dogs go after are nowhere near that level of offensive, but we are all conditioned to look for offense wherever we can find it. And if you are looking to be offended you will inevitably find something to be offended about. I mean look at the latest hub-bub going after people for stuff they did 20, 30, and even 50 years ago, that could be viewed to be offensive in some way. Hell for some people even just where they stood in a picture is enough to say that the entire intervening 50 years of progress and change for that person is meaningless, because he stood in the wrong spot when he was young and dumb. We generally do a very poor job of giving kids the tools they need to handle difficult interpersonal situations, including offensive situations as adults, where the best approach is almost always open communication. Instead we let social media teach our kids (and recondition our "adults") that if you get offended by anything the socially-acceptable course of action is online ridicule and derision, which soon becomes dehumanizing even in our face-to-face interactions. When all you have is a hammer...

There is a difference between mockery (intent - black face, minstrel shows - granted even sometimes unintentionally) and just seeing something on tiktok that looks cool to you so you give it a try. It can be a fuzzy line sure, but to rally all of social media to take someone down every time a white girl sends a picture of herself wearing an asian-culture dress, or getting corn-rows is ridiculous and severely divisive. Imagine how inclusionary it would be to get more "you go girl" than "GTFO with that hate girl". Yes offensive things happen all the time due to people generally being clueless and lazy, but deriding them and, essentially bullying them about it isn't the answer. Education is the answer, but in an accepting and inclusive way. Of course, that is another challenge because we have been so busy teaching our kids how to fight back at anything offensive, instead of how to constructively deal with these difficult situations.

Btw, literally this morning a co worker made a comment on my long hair (its quite long right now as i haven't cut it since june iirc) and i mentioned that I would like to have dreadlocks and he knows someone who actually does dreads for people (they also own a tie dye shop/pipe bong store lol) so if the price isn't too steep (not more than $100) then there is a good chance I will finally have dreadlocks soon.

I tried growing dreads organically back when I was like 19 years old but after almost a year i barely had a couple of not very good "locks" and didn't have the patience to continue growing them. Now I can go the easy route and just have someone "install" them using crochet needles or some ****. Pretty cool.

Btw, literally this morning a co worker made a comment on my long hair (its quite long right now as i haven't cut it since june iirc) and i mentioned that I would like to have dreadlocks and he knows someone who actually does dreads for people (they also own a tie dye shop/pipe bong store lol) so if the price isn't too steep (not more than $100) then there is a good chance I will finally have dreadlocks soon.

I tried growing dreads organically back when I was like 19 years old but after almost a year i barely had a couple of not very good "locks" and didn't have the patience to continue growing them. Now I can go the easy route and just have someone "install" them using crochet needles or some ****. Pretty cool.
I can't imagine you with really long hair, or dreadlocks. You should post a picture if you do it and if you feel like posting a picture of yourself.

But the lazy aspect applies to literally every one of us at some point or another.
I agree that is where most of the issues lie.

I mean look at the latest hub-bub going after people for stuff they did 20, 30, and even 50 years ago, that could be viewed to be offensive in some way.
This doesn't happen in a vacuum. No one is looking into what I said 20 or 30 years, or going through my high-school yearbook pictures. Think about the hours of work it takes to track down the photos or read through a tweet timeline. That only happens when someone is motivated by something.

Hell for some people even just where they stood in a picture is enough to say that the entire intervening 50 years of progress and change for that person is meaningless, because he stood in the wrong spot when he was young and dumb.
Generally, people that have made 50 years of progress, or even 10, don't suffer very much. Even those that have made no progress only get delayed a while (Louis CK just sold out Madison Square Garden, and Bill Cosby is headlining a tour this year).

We generally do a very poor job of giving kids the tools they need to handle difficult interpersonal situations, including offensive situations as adults, where the best approach is almost always open communication. Instead we let social media teach our kids (and recondition our "adults") that if you get offended by anything the socially-acceptable course of action is online ridicule and derision, which soon becomes dehumanizing even in our face-to-face interactions. When all you have is a hammer...
Those damn kids just won't get off your lawn.

Human nature hasn't changed. Kids still interact with other personally more than electronically, overall. They're still learning the skills they've always learned.

It can be a fuzzy line sure, but to rally all of social media to take someone down every time a white girl sends a picture of herself wearing an asian-culture dress, or getting corn-rows is ridiculous and severely divisive. Imagine how inclusionary it would be to get more "you go girl" than "GTFO with that hate girl".
Context matters here. For example, is the dress aspirational (modern royalty), or satirical (Cultural Revolution gear)? Has anyone suffered for being criticized over corn rows?

Yes offensive things happen all the time due to people generally being clueless and lazy, but deriding them and, essentially bullying them about it isn't the answer. Education is the answer, but in an accepting and inclusive way. Of course, that is another challenge because we have been so busy teaching our kids how to fight back at anything offensive, instead of how to constructively deal with these difficult situations.
Sometimes you need to be strident to educate, because otherwise people won't care. I agree stridency can be overdone and is occasionally misplaced.

For the most part I think we are in agreement, it is in the severity and nuance where we differ somewhat. I wasn't trying to imply this is a huge issue that everyone deals with, rather that it is just one that gets under my skin because it is fully made up for the express purpose of being offended. In reality it kind of had its peak and seems to be less of an issue now than a few years ago.

Anyway, I do disagree with this somewhat...

Human nature hasn't changed. Kids still interact with other personally more than electronically, overall. They're still learning the skills they've always learned.

No doubt every generation had to learn how to deal with other people. That should be taken as a given, and so this came across a little condescending. But I think you are discounting the fact that social media has fundamentally changed the way we interact with each other, including face to face interactions. Yes humans have always been bad to each other in one way or another, but studies looking at things like feelings of isolation, loneliness and depression are showing that the upcoming generations, raised nearly entirely on social media, are exhibiting markedly worse outcomes in these areas than previous generations. I think we cannot discount the power of anonymity and confirmation bias, as well as the quick and easy medium for bullying that social media propagates. It has changed the way younger generations interact with each other, and not just in the digital world, but in face to face interactions. It has also tracked almost exactly along with major societal issues like mass shootings. It is hard to deny the impact on society as a whole, and the younger generation in particular.

I can't imagine you with really long hair, or dreadlocks. You should post a picture if you do it and if you feel like posting a picture of yourself.
I will. My wife is against the dreadlocks. So idk if it will happen. My hair is pretty long right now though. If I get a chance I will take a picture and post it.

I will. My wife is against the dreadlocks. So idk if it will happen. My hair is pretty long right now though. If I get a chance I will take a picture and post it.
I have wondered why Kelly Olynyk wears his hair the way it is, and I've probably made a comment or two that it isn't flattering to him. Then they mention that he grows his hair out every year and then cuts it off in the spring to donate to a children's organization.

And once again I'm reminded that judging people on anything, especially without the full story, is a mistake.

So I won't judge you for dreadlocks, even if I don't care for them. Whatever makes you happy is the right thing for you.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app

Be ready for dred-stink. My sons did them for a while and it could get, uh, ripe. Takes more than people think to actually take care of it.

Be ready for dred-stink. My sons did them for a while and it could get, uh, ripe. Takes more than people think to actually take care of it.

Well im gonna have them installed rather than grown organically. So i will continue to wash my hair like I always do. Wont brush it though.

Well im gonna have them installed rather than grown organically. So i will continue to wash my hair like I always do. Wont brush it though.

Yeah maybe that's better. I know one of my sons has some hygiene issues so we expected it there but the other one is meticulous and he did everything he was supposed to but occasionally it still got somewhat malodorous.

Yeah maybe that's better. I know one of my sons has some hygiene issues so we expected it there but the other one is meticulous and he did everything he was supposed to but occasionally it still got somewhat malodorous.

The other thing. I would be SHOCKED if i had them for very long. Like no way i go more than a year. This is just a mid life crisis bucket list thing i wanna do for a minute…… if the wife even lets me in the first place which is a big if.

My hair. Shorter than I realized. Probably not long enough to do any decent dreadsIMG_20230208_182849.jpg

And speaking of cultural appropriation.... This is the shirt I'm wearing currently.
It says super barrio bros and has a picture of Cheech and Chong as Mario and Luigi. Hispanic fellas appropriating in some Italian dudes laneIMG_20230208_182942.jpg