What's new

What salary would you give to Gordon Hayward for the next season?

• 35M or more

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • 32-34M

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 29-31M

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • 26-28M

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • 23-25M

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 20-22M

• 19M or less

• There's no need to keep Gordon Hayward

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Piso

Contract 2017-18
Gobert.......21,224,719
Favors.......12,000,000
Burks........10,595,506
Johnson......10,505,000
Diaw..........7,500,000..Unguaranteed
Exum..........4,992,384
Lyles.........2,441,400
Hood..........2,386,864
Neto..........1,014,746
Bolomboy..905,249
Total :......73,565,868

Free agency :
Hayward, Hill, Ingles, Mack, Withey

Possible Strategy (salary cap 101M - luxury tax 121M)
Waive Diaw, trade Burks for nothing (+eventually draft pick) : 73.5-18= 55.5M
Sign Hayward + Ingles : 35-40M
Sign 5 players (10M for salary cap - 30M for luxury cap) : Hill ? Mack ? Withey ?

I think Hayward's numbers are pretty firm considering he's a max player... right?

If the leak from a week or two ago of the All-NBA teams where Hayward was NOT on one, sounds like that narrows his options. I don't follow this closely but the KSL article from late last year helps me understand.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=42729511&nid=304

I think Hayward's numbers are pretty firm considering he's a max player... right?

If the leak from a week or two ago of the All-NBA teams where Hayward was NOT on one, sounds like that narrows his options. I don't follow this closely but the KSL article from late last year helps me understand.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=42729511&nid=304

That leaked article was bogus, though. Can't remember who it was, but it came from a group of sports guys/journalists that were just making their own picks. Not official.

But yeah, if Hayward wants the max, that's what you give him. The only way it's less is if he decides to take a slight cut to help the team in regards to the cap/tax, so the team might afford better talent somewhere.

I'm hoping that Gordon realizes that he will need help to be competitive against teams like the Cavs or Warriors if he wants to be the main man of the team.. If he truly wants to "win" then he should be willing to take less than the max to make room for other players who can ease the burden..

Unless he is absolutely one of the top 5 players in the league, automatically taking the max just seems greedy for a player who 'wants to win'..I'm hoping he decides to 'be the man'..and stay whilst still giving enough flexibility to build a solid roster..

I think the Jazz need to be willing to offer the max and let him know that, but try to convince him that accepting less would be a sign of leadership from him. Obviously front office would have to convince him and show how they can get him the help he needs if he chooses that path.

Last edited:
All of it. No questions. He's earned it.
He hasn't earned the same max that guys like Harden, Green, and others get. He is a good player, and he deserves the max # other teams would give but not the number we can give. Hes not a 30-40% of the cap quality player. He is not a superstar.

But he will get every penny we can give if he stays....

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

He hasn't earned the same max that guys like Harden, Green, and others get.

1. That's not how it works, nor has it, and you know that.
2. GREEN? You choose a guy who doesn't make the max that Hayward will make, AND you compare a glue guy (a great one, but a glue guy) to the offensive hub/best scorer on the team?

1. That's not how it works, nor has it, and you know that.
2. GREEN? You choose a guy who doesn't make the max that Hayward will make, AND you compare a glue guy (a great one, but a glue guy) to the offensive hub/best scorer on the team?

And he picked Harden, the dude who gave up in game 6.

I'm hoping that Gordon realizes that he will need help to be competitive against teams like the Cavs or Warriors if he wants to be the main man of the team.. If he truly wants to "win" then he should be willing to take less than the max to make room for other players who can ease the burden..

Unless he is absolutely one of the top 5 players in the league, automatically taking the max just seems greedy for a player who 'wants to win'..I'm hoping he decides to 'be the man'..and stay whilst still giving enough flexibility to build a solid roster..

I think the Jazz need to be willing to offer the max and let him know that, but try to convince him that accepting less would be a sign of leadership from him. Obviously front office would have to convince him and show how they can get him the help he needs if he chooses that path.

Why should he take a pay cut? We've operated at the damned salary floor for three years and he's supposed to take a pay cut if he really wants to win.. eff that. If they started the conversation that way and I was gordon I'd be out so quick. How about you pay the effing luxury tax if you want to keep me and win... why should millionaires give more money to billionaires?

He hasn't earned the same max that guys like Harden, Green, and others get. He is a good player, and he deserves the max # other teams would give but not the number we can give. Hes not a 30-40% of the cap quality player. He is not a superstar.

But he will get every penny we can give if he stays....

What is a superstar? Does he need a shoe or something. Dude is a top 20 player entering his prime. He gets everything within the team concept not by having everything built around him and being a stat whore. He's worth the max... this thread is so dumb.

Why should he take a pay cut? We've operated at the damned salary floor for three years and he's supposed to take a pay cut if he really wants to win.. eff that. If they started the conversation that way and I was gordon I'd be out so quick. How about you pay the effing luxury tax if you want to keep me and win... why should millionaires give more money to billionaires?

Because that will be the only way he has a chance of getting a championship ring as the top dog, whether it is on this team or another.

On a side note, good thing for the Heat and Cavs that Lebron was open to a pay cut when it came time for it back when it was needed...

Last edited:
Pretty simple :
- you tell him he is with Gobert the foundation piece of this team, he is the go to scorer, he is the one shouldering the biggest load on O, you need him and value him massively.
- you offer him the full max he is entitled too.
- you share with him your strategy to build the best team possible, what will be possible or not based on him signing for the max
- If he wants to help by getting a pay cut, great, if he doesn't and signs for all the money, great. If he leaves well bugger.

My point about Hayward was simply this - the finances in the NBA are messed up. Gordo is such a good player, but he isn't a superstar. Superstars are mega commercial magnets like CP3 and Griffen or incredible unicorns like Kawhi and Westbrook. Megastars are guys like LBJ, Durant and Curry.

Hayward deserves the max deal because that is how the market is dictated. However, his cost per team success coupled with national exposure just isnt the same as other franchise cornerstone max guys. I expect and hope we pay whatever it takes to keep him. This is no shot at Gordon, I'm just making a point.