What's new

What to do about free throws?

There are a million ways to implement a penalty-box situation. Don't get stuck in how one single off-the-top-of-my-head idea couldn't work. Make it just until the next dead ball, without any mandatory time in the penalty box. Make it the next out of bounds play after that one minute. Make it for 4 possessions then the next out of bounds play they sub in. Just make the team sub someone in and that particular player can't play for 2 minutes of game time. Allow the other team to pick a player to bench for one minute of game time with a sub during that time allowed. Tons of ways to implement something like this. This is the frustrating thing with Internet discussions, people get stuck on one single very very narrow line of thought without think outside that to see if something else similar might be worth discussing. Tons of posts to say "nuh-uh" with no real discussion.

I thought we were having a fluid discussion, so sorry if you felt like I was being narrow minded.

There is probably a way to make your idea work, but I was just communicating that I had a similar idea and where I got stuck is how do you sub them back in within a reasonable amount of time and without creating a lot of chaos. If you just let them in at an exact time then the teams would likely be in the middle of a possession and that would be chaotic. If you make sure it is during a dead ball, etc. then the amount of time would be varying. Possessions are fluid and could be tricky as well.

There could be a way to make it work, but in my limited amount of time thinking about it, it seems problematic.

My main takeaways:
  1. Allow more personal fouls before reaching bonus
  2. Tell refs to call less fouls
  3. Make the FT process quicker through shortening downtime where basically nothing is happening

This all would help. I would still like to see some league try something other than free throws though.

This all would help. I would still like to see some league try something other than free throws though.
Ehh, dont see that happening. FT's just make too much sense in the context of the game. I just dont think we should be using non-shooting fouls to shoot FT's. Maybe make going over the bonus something else (full shot clock reset, maybe choice of where you get to inbound the basketball), but a shooting foul should always results in FT's.

Last edited:
The G League shoots one free throw for 2 pts. That would cut some time down. Basketball is pretty fast paced so the free throws allows these guys to catch their breath a bit.

I think you leave it as is and just shrink the screen while they shoot to show some ads. Then shorten the timeout/ad time?

I don't see it as a big issue.

The G League shoots one free throw for 2 pts. That would cut some time down. Basketball is pretty fast paced so the free throws allows these guys to catch their breath a bit.

I think you leave it as is and just shrink the screen while they shoot to show some ads. Then shorten the timeout/ad time?

I don't see it as a big issue.

I like the idea of showing adds during free throws and the cutting out the mandatory commercial breaks.

I still want to see some idea where we aren't watching basketball practice during the game, or in other words defense is still part of the game.

I like the idea of showing adds during free throws and the cutting out the mandatory commercial breaks.

I still want to see some idea where we aren't watching basketball practice during the game, or in other words defense is still part of the game.
Ehh, I hate that idea. I like watching some dudes shoot FT's. Like if Walker is the line I need to see how he is progressing as a FT shooter.

Ehh, I hate that idea. I like watching some dudes shoot FT's. Like if Walker is the line I need to see how he is progressing as a FT shooter.

I'm pretty sure the idea is for the free throws to play in the background while the add plays.

Different strokes though I guess. I wouldn't mind never seeing a non crunch time free throw again in my life.

Im confused because you would still have to FF through the ad?

The idea, as I understood it would reduce ads in total because you would get rid of the TV time outs

To be clear, not my favorite idea, I would rather figure out a way to get rid of non clutch free throws all together.

i haven't read through the thread, so if somebody has mentioned it, my apologies, but it's an easy answer. 1 shot per trip to the line (g league already does it) - if you make it, you get two points for a two shot foul and three points for a three shot foul. it is the simplest solution to institute without changing the game. it speeds things up dramatically, but won't change scoring in any way.

if you miss it's more punitive, if you make it's more rewarding - but it will all even out over the course of a game and season.

i haven't read through the thread, so if somebody has mentioned it, my apologies, but it's an easy answer. 1 shot per trip to the line (g league already does it) - if you make it, you get two points for a two shot foul and three points for a three shot foul. it is the simplest solution to institute without changing the game. it speeds things up dramatically, but won't change scoring in any way.

if you miss it's more punitive, if you make it's more rewarding - but it will all even out over the course of a game and season.
Since Kessler tends to only hit his 2nd FT, his percentage would drop to 20%.

Has anybody watched enough GLeague to say if the one free throw is working? I only watched the one game this year and didn't really notice a difference.

I still think 1 non clutch free throw is still 1 free throw too many.

The league's best players supplement their scores based on FTs. They aren't going to change it. Players appreciate it because it is basically a timeout and gives them a chance to recover.

I'd prefer to see a shorter half time, and require FT's to be taken faster. Perhaps have a 5 second timer start once the player receives the ball.
Shorter half time? How am I supposed to take a piss and buy a beer during half time if it's even shorter than it already is?

Has anybody watched enough GLeague to say if the one free throw is working? I only watched the one game this year and didn't really notice a difference.

I still think 1 non clutch free throw is still 1 free throw too many.
you don't notice a difference because there is no difference - literally the only thing it does is speed up each boring trip to the line. FT percentages stay the same, scoring stays the same, etc.

you don't notice a difference because there is no difference - literally the only thing it does is speed up each boring trip to the line. FT percentages stay the same, scoring stays the same, etc.
I meant do you notice a difference from a fan experience. Does it feel like the game is quicker? Is it noticeable?