What's new

What to do in Newark for 4 hours and 37 minutes

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
So in January we were going to Costa Rica and on the way back we were initially connecting through Houston. The flights have now changed where we are connecting through Newark (horrible change) and have a massive layover. I presume this will probably change again before we actually go, but we were looking at maybe taking advantage of this and doing things that we otherwise wouldn't have done. I did see that from the Newark Airport to Liberty Park where you can see the Statue of Liberty is only like an 18 minute drive. We'll have 5 kids with us and I think that'd be a good experience because they've never seen it and we otherwise wouldn't be planning any trips to NYC any time soon. Traffic appears to be too bad to actually go in to NYC otherwise that would have been cool and would have been just the right dose of that for our family size. So what else can be done or food recommendations somewhere in the Newark area?

What to do when in Newark?

~Leave
~Run fast
~Pray

Seriously, there’s some really good eats in parts of it, the Ironbound section as one example but in general, Newark sucks and is a dump. As far as what to do, you could do the Statue of Liberty I guess but how? How old are your kids? Are you renting a car? Getting an Uber? Taking a dump of a taxi? Seems like a lot of effort to go see it. I live here and have never really been seen it up close and don’t care to. Most importantly, what time of day is this? Driving can be horrendous up there. Leaving to go see this whore and getting back should be fine but could become an issue…and you’ll have to go through airport security all over again, no?