What's new

WTF happened to rap?

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
Whats this new garbage that has become rap? Everything I hear in media, at basketball games, etc. WTF is it? What happened to the good old days, where you had acts like 2 Live Crew, Naughty By Nature, Ice Cube, Dre, Snoop, Tupac, The Fugees, Warren G. How did rap turn into this current incarnation? What’s with all the staccato nonsense?

#MakeRapGreatAgain

There are still a good number of rap artists I enjoy, but I agree with OP that popular rap is much less interesting than it was twenty or thirty years ago.

Run The Jewels and Vince Staples are two I've been into a lot lately.

Last edited:
Whats this new garbage that has become rap? Everything I hear in media, at basketball games, etc. WTF is it? What happened to the good old days, where you had acts like 2 Live Crew, Naughty By Nature, Ice Cube, Dre, Snoop, Tupac, The Fugees, Warren G. How did rap turn into this current incarnation? What’s with all the staccato nonsense?

#MakeRapGreatAgain

There is some new stuff I like... but like as we get a little older the music changes and that’s okay... it’s just part of the aging process to think things were always better back in your day.

Rap sucks.

Country is much better and you don’t have to worry about the swearing that’s so prevalent in rap when you’re driving with kids.

Rap sucks.

Country is much better and you don’t have to worry about the swearing that’s so prevalent in rap when you’re driving with kids.
I don’t know anything about the profanity in today’s rap. I’m content with Ice Cube.

I don’t know anything about the profanity in today’s rap. I’m content with Ice Cube.

All of the top rap songs today are heavy laden in profanity that just 10 years ago would’ve been deemed inappropriate. I used to listen to some rap back in the day 10-15 years ago. Then I became a dad and sort of stopped. But recently I tried to listen to it and it’s just so sick and offensive (without really good beats) that it’s just a bore. I don’t turn on music to listen to F bomb tirades and disgusting sexual innuendo. And I’m not that old, I’m not naive enough to claim that rap has always been free from profanity and sex. But today’s stuff is pretty shocking.

Look, you're my guy, but this take...

I think perhaps that rap has even taken a turn for the high ground in lyrics. From what I hear, the lyrics of Hip Hop have also been taking on some good conservative politic content. "Up Like Trump"......

I like all good music. New and old. If it jams it jams. If it sucks it sucks. I dont have have any preconceived notions on any music. I think you really miss out if you let that happen to your thinking.

I found in life that liking all music helped cross the boundaries of hanging out with different types of people, and different groups. I was never the type to have a certain type of music or style. But often a lot of the people I knew did.

Now I clown around when I hang around with the Underground.
Girls used to frown n look down when I come around,
Gas me when they pass me, used to diss me,
Harass me, now they ask me if they can kiss me...

-Tupac

As Theodore Sturgeon said, 90% of everything is crap. That includes 90% of the rap from 20 years ago, most of which has been forgotten in favor of the 10% that was worth remembering.
So what’s the 10% worth remembering now? Could you direct me to it? TIA.

Rap sucks.

This. I curse enough as it is. My kids don’t need to hear it in their music too.