What's new

Official Round 1 Predictions: Jazz-V-Thunder

7StraightIsGreat

Is it official just because I titled it that way? I’ll let the mods decide.

Here’s my thoughts:

-While I think it’s pretty unanimous that we all love what has gone on with this team lately and that we’re only at the beginning of what looks to be a sustainable ascension towards future title contention, I see this series going OKC’s way and the Jazz learning some pretty tough lessons along the way. Lessons that they will use to tweak the roster and come back next season better and more ready to make a serious run.

-I honestly feel like the Portland game was going to dictate whether the Jazz made it out of the 1st round or not. OKC presents plenty of match-up problems as well as being the one team that has a better HC advantage than Utah. If the Jazz had ended up the 3 seed, I figured they could steal one game in OKC considering that I think OKC is too good to expect Utah to not give up one game at home. I still feel like OKC will get 1 game in SLC at some point in this series, which means that the Jazz will have to find a way to win 2 in OKC if they are to advance. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think that will happen.

-Official prediction: The Jazz play well in the series, but not good enough. The officiating will drive us crazy, I sense Rudy will have some foul trouble throughout the series, Donovan will have moments that make us salivate for the future and other moments where he looks like an NBA rookie taking his lumps in his first taste of playoff action.

OKC in 6

I'm pretty deflated after watching the Blazers dismantle the Jazz's offense for the second time.

But I'm still going to say Jazz in 6.

I'm curious to see what Donovan Mitchell does with Paul George guarding him. I expect him to struggle, which could be good motivation for his summer.

Jazz in 6! Pg never leaves Utah and signs to the minimum in the offseason to be part of something special.

I realize the Portland game was tough but we are on the backend of a back to back... they play a style that gives us issue and no one was making shots.

They were waiting for us at home, fresh and their guys shot well... we lost by 9... it happens.

The clips last year were better than this OKC team.

Give Quin a couple days to scheme and I have faith we figure this thing out.

If you can get this team on the ropes they go to RW chucking and everyone watching. He’s great but he has some limitations...

The optimist in me has us playing like a well-oiled machine and every player stepping up. But Westbrook and PG are on a tear at the moment, I just don't see them being denied.

We are fine guys. I kind of like starting on the road. I’m a tennis player and would always defer serve when I won the toss. Gives you a chance to break serve before they are warm and puts pressure on the other guy. Same theory applies here... win the first one while the teams are feeling things out and put the pressure on them.

I'm not going to make a prediction. I'm still too pissed we lost to Portland. I would have loved facing New Orleans.

OKC has depth. I'm amazed their record was what it was - they underachieved. If Crymelo and George shoot hot it's not going to end well, though Crymelo has been mediocre as of late and George has been chucking and so I hope that continues.

Westbrook is going to get his. He's a beast.

Mitchell needs to be huge this series. I don't know if OKC can guard him. Brewer used to be a great defender - hoping he's lost a step. Mitchell needs to drive to the damn basket in this series. Also, the key is getting Adams in foul trouble.

Grant is a dark horse - I worry about him burning us in the minutes he gets.

OKC is one of my least favorite teams (along with Cleveland and CS) and so I pray we crush them.

EDIT: I was told we would have played OKC even had we won. My bad!

Last edited:
It comes down to PG13 to me.
If Jazz contain him and not let him break out of his sustained slump (let's hope the Memphis game was just a 'fluke'), I reckon Jazz win.
I think Jazz can survive heavy usage Westbrook triple doubles and the occasional shooting burst from Melo. But PG13 being a beast on both sides of the ball might be the difference.
I am hoping Ingles gets a chance to 'unsettle' him

We are fine guys. I kind of like starting on the road. I’m a tennis player and would always defer serve when I won the toss. Gives you a chance to break serve before they are warm and puts pressure on the other guy. Same theory applies here... win the first one while the teams are feeling things out and put the pressure on them.

I kind of like the reverse psychology of a road series taking pressure off us.

I'm not going to make a prediction. I'm still too pissed we lost to Portland. I would have loved facing New Orleans.

OKC has depth. I'm amazed their record was what it was - they underachieved. If Crymelo and George shoot hot it's not going to end well, though Crymelo has been mediocre as of late and George has been chucking and so I hope that continues.

Westbrook is going to get his. He's a beast.

Mitchell needs to be huge this series. I don't know if OKC can guard him. Brewer used to be a great defender - hoping he's lost a step. Mitchell needs to drive to the damn basket in this series. Also, the key is getting Adams in foul trouble.

Grant and Roberson are dark horses - I worry about them burning us in the minutes they get.

OKC is one of my least favorite teams (along with Cleveland and CS) and so I pray we crush them.

We would have played OKC even if we won. I think we win in 6.