What's new

Anyone have an experience with tankless water heaters?

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
My hot water heater is 16 years old and I recently discovered that it's leaking. I was looking into replacements and found out that you can get a $500 rebate from the gas company by going with a tankless water heater. That will make the switch much cheaper than just replacing my current 40g water heater with a new 40g water heater.

Through a little research I found a brand that seems to be really highly regarded and via the reviews there were way fewer horror stories and many more very satisfied customers than most of the other brands. Takagi is a Japanese made tankless water heater and I figure this is a technology right up their alley.

So my plan is to install this myself. I understand there are a few requirements that are different from a NG water heater tank vs a tankless unit, specifically exhaust and diameter of the gas line running to it. Also, the temp of incoming water is a concern and really reduces the gpm performance.

So anyone go tankless? Anyone install it their self?

Tankless-Water-Heater-water-heater-Paramus-nj.jpg

As long as you get one with enough heat to support the number of faucets you want to use at once, they are awesomeo 5000. Mine is 9.5 gpm. Did not install myself. We used about the same amount of gas (sold that house).

Depending on location, one with heat pump technology could be awesome. Had on in Cali. Cooled down my garage in summer and saved a lot on my utility bill.

My hot water heater is 16 years old and I recently discovered that it's leaking. I was looking into replacements and found out that you can get a $500 rebate from the gas company by going with a tankless water heater. That will make the switch much cheaper than just replacing my current 40g water heater with a new 40g water heater.

Through a little research I found a brand that seems to be really highly regarded and via the reviews there were way fewer horror stories and many more very satisfied customers than most of the other brands. Takagi is a Japanese made tankless water heater and I figure this is a technology right up their alley.

So my plan is to install this myself. I understand there are a few requirements that are different from a NG water heater tank vs a tankless unit, specifically exhaust and diameter of the gas line running to it. Also, the temp of incoming water is a concern and really reduces the gpm performance.

So anyone go tankless? Anyone install it their self?

Tankless-Water-Heater-water-heater-Paramus-nj.jpg

If it magically gets you a bike and shelf full of gear, do it!

My cousin had one in California. Worked well. I'd definitely consider it if I were in the market for a new water heater.

I have been tankless for about 7 or 8 years. LOVE it.
Never run out of hot water, more efficient, takes up less room..

Why? I've been contemplating getting one, but they're just too expensive.

They cook waaaay too fast and near impossible to control the cook time like you can with gas.
Only thing I liked about it is I could boil water hellafast. Unless they have made huge strides, don't even consider it. Ask any chef.

Look into solar. I haven't checked into it for about 8 years, but back then it was just about the only alternative energy option that had a great payback period. I imagine it's even better today.

My next water heater will be tank less.
Other than initial cost, I don't see how it wouldn't be better. But just FYI, it requires power.

Sent from my SM-G386T using JazzFanz mobile app

My next water heater will be tank less.
Other than initial cost, I don't see how it wouldn't be better. But just FYI, it requires power.

Sent from my SM-G386T using JazzFanz mobile app
I've got an outlet nearby.

The unit I was looking at can do 6.6gpm and can be had for $507. The rebate will cover all but $7. I'm sure there will be odds and ends, like exhaust ducting and some shutoff valves, but at that price it'll pay itself off in a couple months.

But with the rebate I think I'm going to go with a beefier unit that can handle cold incoming water better. It's just shy of $800.

If it magically gets you a bike and shelf full of gear, do it!
Ha-ha, in my case the water heater is in the same room where I store all my empty beer bottles. So even better really. My wife is gonna be pumped that I have room for even more beer stuff.

If you install it yourself, and don't have experience running gas lines, have a licensed plumber do that part. If the unit calls for a dedicated circuit, have bigb install one.

If you install it yourself, and don't have experience running gas lines, have a licensed plumber do that part. If the unit calls for a dedicated circuit, have bigb install one.
It shouldn't need to be a dedicated circuit. I'm not sure, but it's probably just for an ignitor. Wouldn't frae hardly any power.

I've got an outlet nearby.

The unit I was looking at can do 6.6gpm and can be had for $507. The rebate will cover all but $7. I'm sure there will be odds and ends, like exhaust ducting and some shutoff valves, but at that price it'll pay itself off in a couple months.

But with the rebate I think I'm going to go with a beefier unit that can handle cold incoming water better. It's just shy of $800.
When I replaced my 40 gallon tank I think it was over $300. So to find a tank less for that price is practically a no-brainer.