What's new

Gobert to Portland Trade Idea

Hmm. That is interesting. I didn’t realize that. I thought if you traded a player before their guarantee date the receiving team could then get the savings by not guaranteeing the deal.

Didn’t Memphis do that with Korver’s contract in the Conley trade?

I had been thinking Hernangomez’s non guaranteed contract was a trade chip for us, but maybe not…
We had all thought this too because we had Udoh, Jerebko and Sefalosha all on 2 year deals that weren’t guaranteed for the second year. We kept pitching hypotheticals thinking they were valuable, but ended up finding out that whatever year you’re traded in (or the “following year” if you’re traded in the summer) becomes fully guaranteed.

Memphis packaged Korver into a larger deal with Phoenix that had other salary and draft picks, then Phoenix waived him.

I think they’d rather retain Nurkic, Hart, #6, and the trade exception… as well as they keep their MLE and BAE.

Or they guarantee Bledsoe and send him to us in the trade… even if they aren’t planning to keep Nurkic waiving his bird rights means they can’t sign and trade him.

Yeah, they are in worse shape than I thought. Don’t know why they are avoiding the inevitable they should trade Lillard before it’s too late. Terrible asset management by them.