What's new

Its Not About Tanking

gomretat

I keep reading threads about the Jazz wanting to tank next year and I don't think that is the issue. We have 2 young bigs who were both drafted number 3 in the draft. We have 2 number 9 picks who are still young. And we have a number 12 pick. How many high draft picks do we need to help us win? Turning it over the young uns next year should be about seeing what they are made of and how far they can go so we understand what and who to go after to make us contenders and then champions. It is time for these high draft picks to put up or shut up. Adding vets who will add to our ability to win without hurting us from a salary flexibility standpoint is simply the right thing to do. I get the draft next year is supposed to be a strong one but it is time to win some games. If we end up in the lottery so be it but that should not be the goal.

Sorry but the Spurs would not have their championship banners if they hadn't tanked the year Tim Duncan was available. The purpose of this coming season should be developing our young guys and take whatever the results are but hoping that we get a shot at the big prize (Wiggins or Parker).

Last edited:
Sorry but the Spurs would not have their championship banner if they hadn't tanked the year Tim Duncan was available. The purpose of this coming season should be developing our young guys and whatever the result is but hoping that we get a shot at the big prize (Wiggins or Parker).

Comparing a future HOFer and consensus #1 Duncan to this situation? Depression.

Adding vets just to sustain mediocrity is retarded, and ethically worse than tanking, because at the deepest level you are not even in thr conversation with those who are truly competing.

Bringing on vets takes minutes away from are young guys, who haven't been developed yet.

Right now we have:

Hayward, Favors, Burks, Burke, Evans, Marvin, McNeal (option), Murphy (option), Gobert (looks likely).

We should bring on players like Tinsley, Caroll, and the like who compliment the young guys, but don't take huge minutes.

Bringing in mid level vets will do nothing for us in the long run. It will just teach the young guys to defer to the old guys, and not build a team themselves. And for what, a meaningless first round sweep in the playoffs?

Play the young guys a lot, so they develop, and so we figure out if they are a team, and if they're not, atleast we built some trade value into them. By playing the young guys next year, we may get into the lottery, and yhat's a win/win, honestly.

Once Wiggins, Parker, Randle enter the league, the NBA will only be that much harder. How can a team that struggles to get into the playoffs succeed then? There is no way we can. Our win now philosophy should really be coined the "lose forever" philosophy.

Tanking might hit an all time high this year. Teams are really going to go into tank mode this upcoming year. I dont think we will keep up with the real tankers. Although I would like the high pick.

The first few days of free agency are proof to me we are tanking. We haven't even tried it seems which I am ecstatic about. It goes both ways as koc has said.....sometimes no moves are the best moves.

So many teams are going to be tanking that the Heat will win 70 games and the Jazz will sneak into the play-offs playing the young-ins.

The first few days of free agency are proof to me we are tanking. We haven't even tried it seems which I am ecstatic about. It goes both ways as koc has said.....sometimes no moves are the best moves.

Well KOC said in an interview that you typically have to overpay for deals done within the first 2-3 days of the FA signing period...

Wouldn't be surprised if it's right near the end of the week that we get something going... (if any)

I think there's a chance 1-2 of our core emerge as stars and put us into contention. But a top pick in 2014 on top of what we already have would guarantee a contending Jazz team. At least, it would be as close to a guarantee as you can get short of signing a free agent like LeBron.

The plan should be to give The Five MAJOR burn this upcoming season. It'll force them to develop; give us a better idea of where they are in their development and what their true potential is; show us how much they're worth after their rookie contracts expire; and it'll either get us a great pick, or maybe they prove to be all we hope they are and make it to the playoffs. Either way, we're in great shape. And it'll be insanely fun to watch.

It's what we've all been saying we should do for what seems like eternity. PLEASE, let the youth movement finally begin, Lindsey.

I think there's a chance 1-2 of our core emerge as stars and put us into contention. But a top pick in 2014 on top of what we already have would guarantee a contending Jazz team. At least, it would be as close to a guarantee as you can get short of signing a free agent like LeBron.

The plan should be to give The Five MAJOR burn this upcoming season. It'll force them to develop; give us a better idea of where they are in their development and what their true potential is; show us how much they're worth after their rookie contracts expire; and it'll either get us a great pick, or maybe they prove to be all we hope they are and make it to the playoffs. Either way, we're in great shape. And it'll be insanely fun to watch.

It's what we've all been saying we should do for what seems like eternity. PLEASE, let the youth movement finally begin, Lindsey.

If additional talent emerged in the '14 draft like the '13 draft (Oladipo, Burke, MCW, Adams, etc) then there will certainly be decent players left if we're picking around #16.

All we really need is a slashing, defensive SF who can shoot a bit. We may be able to give that pick away, take on a few contracts and grab someone like Harrison Barnes....

I'm really not to worried where we finish as long as we have a full year of "GO HARD YOUNG THANG" attitude.

If additional talent emerged in the '14 draft like the '13 draft (Oladipo, Burke, MCW, Adams, etc) then there will certainly be decent players left if we're picking around #16.

All we really need is a slashing, defensive SF who can shoot a bit. We may be able to give that pick away, take on a few contracts and grab someone like Harrison Barnes....

I'm really not to worried where we finish as long as we have a full year of "GO HARD YOUNG THANG" attitude.

Exactly. Go young and let the chips fall where they may.

Currently on DX #15 would get us Willie Cauley-Stein and #16 would get us Gary Harris.

Both are potential SOLID starters in the league at the minimum.

So not taking into account additional "surprise" talents entering the draft, we'll still get solid players.

Comparing a future HOFer and consensus #1 Duncan to this situation? Depression.

Well Wiggins is a consensus #1 so yes I am comparing them. I am sure that the Spurs never imagined they would end up with Duncan. No I am happy. Thanks

Currently on DX #15 would get us Willie Cauley-Stein and #16 would get us Gary Harris.

Both are potential SOLID starters in the league at the minimum.

So not taking into account additional "surprise" talents entering the draft, we'll still get solid players.
My bet is WCS rises and Harris stays about where he is.

Regardless, we'll get a fringe starter as worst case scenario.

To start last season I guessed we'd have the #14.
This coming season I'll say 11.

My bet is WCS rises and Harris stays about where he is.

Regardless, we'll get a fringe starter as worst case scenario.

To start last season I guessed we'd have the #14.
This coming season I'll say 11.

Sometimes your predictions pissed me off.

For the record, if the Jazz miss out on Wiggins, Parker, Randle or An Harrison then my vote would be to pursue Exum.