What's new

My argument for the death penalty...

prodigy

Execution by Firing Squad

Utah's the only state that uses this form of execution. Which begs the question why more states don't use it, from what I've read it is the most humane way for people to go out. You'd think Texas would be in on this but you gotta wonder...

Utah's the only state that uses this form of execution. Which begs the question why more states don't use it, from what I've read it is the most humane way for people to go out. You'd think Texas would be in on this but you gotta wonder...

Utah will no longer allow execution by firing squad to criminals convicted after 2004. After that, all must die by lethal injection by default.

I would hate to be on the firing squad. It is one thing to give a guy IV drugs, but a completely different matter to aim a gun at someone and pull the trigger. I know they rig it so that not all of the guns have live rounds, but still . . . tough to live with.

I would hate to be on the firing squad. It is one thing to give a guy IV drugs, but a completely different matter to aim a gun at someone and pull the trigger. I know they rig it so that not all of the guns have live rounds, but still . . . tough to live with.

I don't know. I understand that in one case you actually see the traumatic injury and blood and in the other it is as though the person just lost consciousness, but I don't hink I would differentiate one as being worse than the other if I was the one performing the act.

Well the problem is that it really isn't all that humane of an execution. It's not uncommon for the victim to survive for multiple minutes after being shot. Since the bullets go into the heart and not the brain the victims offer suffer greatly from the gunshot wounds.

it's a bit of a conundrum and ethical debate on both sides - the advantage of a firing squad (so I've heard) is that since there are generally from 5-7 people on the firing squad, technically nobody really knows which executioner fired the fatal bullet

also, one problem with lethal injection is that many states technically require the injection to be administered by a physician, and yet many physicians feel it is a violation of the oaths they take as a physician to "first do no harm" - they can certify the death has taken place, but they can't actually take any action to contribute to cause the death. I think the official AMA policy is to discourage doctors from performing capital punishment.

"Humane" execution is an oxymoron, forget the fact if it is a firing squad or lethal injection. It is sad that
America can be uncivilized enough to still have capital punishment. More so, when you hear stories like that of that black guy who was jailed for 27 years for a crime he didnt commit and was then later released in Cleveland.
He was treated to a courtside seat by Lebron. No one gave a damn about him. His whole life was ruined by the judiciary system. You wonder how many innocent guys out there were lethally injected with.

Well the problem is that it really isn't all that humane of an execution. It's not uncommon for the victim to survive for multiple minutes after being shot. Since the bullets go into the heart and not the brain the victims offer suffer greatly from the gunshot wounds.
I don't know what's "uncommon", but I read an article in The Salt Lake Tribune on Sunday about it. A person that was executed by firing squad allowed his heart to be monitored during the whole process. His heart rate spiked to like 181 beats per minute right before the shots were fired. His heart stopped beating 16 seconds after the bullets entered his body. I think it all would depend on the person, the shooters, and were exactly the shots hit.
There were actually a couple of articles about it in the paper on Sunday that I read. The author talked to three of the five members of the last firing squad and explained what the process was and how they were selected. The members of the firing squad were all volunteers, IIRC. Of those three, one said he wouldn't do it again, but the other two said they would. None of them required the offered counseling. It said they were all religious, to one degree or another. The ones that talked said they viewed it as nothing more than carrying out an order, much like serving a search warrant. I actually found it extremely interesting. Is that morbid of me?

"Humane" execution is an oxymoron, forget the fact if it is a firing squad or lethal injection. It is sad that
America can be uncivilized enough to still have capital punishment. More so, when you hear stories like that of that black guy who was jailed for 27 years for a crime he didnt commit and was then later released in Cleveland.
He was treated to a courtside seat by Lebron. No one gave a damn about him. His whole life was ruined by the judiciary system. You wonder how many innocent guys out there were lethally injected with.

So what would you do with the garbage that killed the little 4 year old boy about a month ago? I'm sorry, but trash like that does not deserve to live. Another example is what happened up in Twin Falls Idaho a few years back. A father killed 3 of his children (to get back at his ex-wife). He made them eat rat poison and when that wasn't working fast enough he took a baseball bat to them. I know this because the kids were friends of my nephew's and niece's. It was basically the same story, the court ordered the mom (who feared for the safety of her children) to let the dad take them. Please explain to me how you can think that these monsters even deserve to live.

Gosh, that really sucks that they suffer. I wonder if they suffer as much as the people they killed/tortured.

It's not as if you are assigned to the firing squad. CNN.com had an interview with one of the executioners of John Taylor, the monster who murdered the girl in Washington Terrace. He is in law enforcement and volunteered for the firing squad. They trained so that it was done quickly and timely. These are expert marksmen who fired on command. There are two back-ups who take the place of one of the assigned executioners should they back out at the last minute.

https://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/09/utah.firing.squad/index.html?iref=allsearch

I used to question whether I suppored the death penalty or not, and then I think of little Ethan Stacy suffering at the hands of a monster, wondering where his dad was and why his mom wasn't helping, all while his mother did nothing, other than take pictures and lock him in his room while she ran off to get married. The Sloops will get off easier than little Ethan did. Gardner supports the death penalty, and don't forget that he was in that courtroom for murder charges when he took the gun. I won't shed a tear.

https://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2007/05/14/prl20514.htm

Organized medicine repeatedly has declared it unethical for doctors to participate in capital punishment. Still, some federal judges, politicians and prison officials largely have disregarded these ethical statements, saying doctor participation is necessary for lethal injection to withstand constitutional scrutiny.

The death penalty is on hold in 13 of the 38 states where it is allowed. In 11 of those states, the stays are related to questions over whether lethal injection protocols could sometimes leave the condemned conscious as paralytic and heart-stopping drugs are given.

In California, Missouri and North Carolina, federal judges have ordered prison officials to involve physicians to ensure the prisoner remains unconscious for the entire process.

While a small contingent of doctors says physician participation in executions can be ethical and humane, prison officials in those three states have said they cannot find doctors willing to aid. Most physicians are trying to ensure their profession steers clear of the execution chamber.

American Medical Association policy says physicians should not be present at executions in a professional capacity, take part in the execution process or offer "technical advice regarding execution." Physicians may certify death only after another individual has found the prisoner is dead.

Yet 15 states still require physician presence during executions; 17 states allow doctors to assist in the procedures. Only Illinois and Kentucky bar any kind of physician participation. A California Medical Assn.-led attempt to pass a similar law failed last year, but there have been other successes.

What about the pain and suffering the "victim's" victim(s) suffered?
I've had it up to HERE with all the bullsh$# about pain and suffering inflicted upon a condemned murderer. You know what? If you don't want to die by lethal injection, firing squad, electric chair, etc., there's an easy solution: DON'T COMMIT FIRST-DEGREE MURDER.

I do not condone torture. But any forced death is going to inflict some pain. I think the US has done a great job of minimizing that. We no longer hang people. The guillotine is not used. But bloody hell, it takes quite a lot to sentence someone to death: violent, pre-meditated murder. There is only so far you can go in minimizing suffering. And certainly the convicted murderer had no concern for how much his victim suffered.

Here in CA, the murderer of an 8-yr girl just got sentenced to life. Abused the little girl and then stuffed her victim in a suitcase and tossed it into an irrigation pond like yesterday's trash. What the "F" is wrong with this country? The woman who did it should be executed. Let's hope one of the inmates does the job the bleeding heart prosecutor and judge were too timid to do.

Last edited:
A California Medical Assn.-led attempt to pass a similar law failed last year, but there have been other successes.

"Sucesses?" Zup wit dat?

Kinda reminds me of the time 3 PC-lovin bleedin-heart libz found a woman in a ditch, raped, mutilated, and barely breathin. One screams: "HOLY CRAP! WE GOTTA FIND THE GUY WHO DID THIS!"

The other two say: "Yeah, he needs our help."

I do not condone torture. But any forced death is going to inflict some pain. I think the US has done a great job of minimizing that.

...the stays are related to questions over whether lethal injection protocols could sometimes leave the condemned conscious as paralytic and heart-stopping drugs are given...federal judges have ordered prison officials to involve physicians to ensure the prisoner remains unconscious for the entire process.

And you don't think actually bein conscious when they inject ya aint pure, unmitigated TORTURE!?

The age old moral question with the death penalty will always hold: If only one innocent person is killed to ensure the 'just' killings of every other guilty murderer, is that an acceptable cost? And by extension, are you willing to sacrifice your own kid to be that one innocent person to ensure all that justice? Because innocent people have been killed. The legal justice system is anything but infallible. No one has ever been able to answer this question satisfactorily. That's because it's always someone else's innocent kid getting killed. Locking someone up for life is punishment enough, and its the cost of doing business in civilized society.

All the best nations execute their citizens.

1 People's Republic of China Officially not released. At least 1700[44] - 5000[45]
2 Iran At least 388
3 Iraq At least 120
4 Saudi Arabia At least 69
5 United States 52
6 Yemen At least 30
7 Sudan At least 9
8 Vietnam At least 9
9 Syria At least 8
10 Japan 7
11 Egypt At least 5
12 Libya At least 4
13 Bangladesh 3
14 Thailand 2
15 Singapore At least 1
16 Botswana 1
17 Malaysia Unreleased
18 North Korea Unreleased

If only one innocent person is killed to ensure the 'just' killings of every other guilty murderer, is that an acceptable cost? Locking someone up for life is punishment enough

Is locking one innocent person up for life an acceptable cost? Nobuddy should ever be punished for anything, I figure, because, who knows, they could actually be innocent.

Edit: The question in this thread is about the means of execution, not the decision to execute, but....