What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

So Holland has dropped significantly because he sucked as a shot creator and shooter. As a Holland guy, I think that’s fair…he was not great. OTOH, Matas has maintained his position because of his shot creating potential. Is it odd that Matas was just as bad as Holland despite having a lower usage? Matas is also 9 months older.

I think the film looks better for Matas….but I still don’t know why it’s his main selling point and the main criticism for Holland.

So Holland has dropped significantly because he sucked as a shot creator and shooter. As a Holland guy, I think that’s fair…he was not great. OTOH, Matas has maintained his position because of his shot creating potential. Is it odd that Matas was just as bad as Holland despite having a lower usage? Matas is also 9 months older.

I think the film looks better for Matas….but I still don’t know why it’s his main selling point and the main criticism for Holland.
Prolly racism? Shrug. Holland or Maya’s could go anywhere from like 2-10 and I wouldn’t be surprised.

Prolly racism? Shrug. Holland or Maya’s could go anywhere from like 2-10 and I wouldn’t be surprised.

It's really strange to me. Maybe the explanation will reveal itself through the film, but I don't understand why Matas gets a much more generous review of his play. I'm not even saying Matas doesn't deserve it, there are many reasons to be forgiving of a HS player who played on Ignite, but it seems like Holland is getting so much more criticism for his play. I had wondered if Holland maybe didn't have the intangibles and wanted to be a chucker, but even those who are critical of him will say his intangibles/motor are one of his biggest strengths.

It's really strange to me. Maybe the explanation will reveal itself through the film, but I don't understand why Matas gets a much more generous review of his play. I'm not even saying Matas doesn't deserve it, there are many reasons to be forgiving of a HS player who played on Ignite, but it seems like Holland is getting so much more criticism for his play. I had wondered if Holland maybe didn't have the intangibles and wanted to be a chucker, but even those who are critical of him will say his intangibles/motor are one of his biggest strengths.
His passing is pretty good to it seems which is what kinda made me raise my eyebrow as to why everyone is so down on him compared to where he started out the year.

Some draft followers have Holland pretty high on their boards. It's not clear if he really dropped. However, Holland may ultimately be a complementary player--an off-ball slasher and defensive playmaker, rather than an initiator or go-to scorer. That might dampen his draft stock for some people.

A lot I agree with on Wasserman. Like that he has guys like KJ Simpson/Jalen Bridges/Dadiet/Sandfort higher than most I see.

Another player I'm interested in at 32 (if the Jazz stay there) is Jamal Shead. Kind of crazy that only a handful of years ago Davion Mitchell was a lottery pick and Shead is at least the exact same level as a prospect minus having an outlier fluke shooting season.

Outside of that, I think Shead is equal as a prospect or better. He has a longer wingspan and is a better floor general while offering even better defense.

Some draft followers have Holland pretty high on their boards. It's not clear if he really dropped. However, Holland may ultimately be a complementary player--an off-ball slasher and defensive playmaker, rather than an initiator or go-to scorer. That might dampen his draft stock for some people.
It comes down to what you tend to value.

If you value explosive athleticism you are going to value Holland.

I dont think I'm a fan, but if you told me he was DA's #1 prospect, I wouldn't be shocked. You can draw some parallels between him and Jaylen Brown.

He's definitely someone where the measurements are going to be a big factor to me. If he comes out shorter than expected w/ a mediocre wingspan and weight, I dont see him moving much for me (which would be probably in the 3rd tier of this draft in the 8-ish to 15-ish range). If he's actually a legit 6'8 in shoes w/ a 7' wingspan, I could see him getting into the 2nd tier (3-7 kind of range)

I'm thinking Holland is this year's draft version of the Thomson twins. Similar height. Great athlete. Already a solid strong body. Very good scorer, rebounder, defender, steals, and court awareness. The biggest differences to me are that Holland is younger, shows signs of being a better shooter, and has less point guard skills. I like him.

Last edited:
I'm thinking Holland is this year's draft version of the Thomson twins. Similar height. Great athlete. Already a solid strong body. Very good scorer, rebounder, defender, steals, and court awareness. The biggest differences to me are that Holland is younger, shows signs of betting a bit better shooter, and has less point guard skills. I like him.
I like him too but would have some concerns with a Kessler/Lauri/Holland frontcourt and it would potentially be the 2nd year draft in a row where they pick a guy in the top 8-9 who cannot create their own shot. They would seriously lack any playmaking/shot creation ability. Adding Hendricks to the mix doesn't solve that issue. Of course the Jazz are still in a spot where they just need to add talent/BPA and not worry so much about fit esp in this draft.

I like him too but would have some concerns with a Kessler/Lauri/Holland frontcourt and it would potentially be the 2nd year draft in a row where they pick a guy in the top 8-9 who cannot create their own shot. They would seriously lack any playmaking/shot creation ability. Adding Hendricks to the mix doesn't solve that issue. Of course the Jazz are still in a spot where they just need to add talent/BPA and not worry so much about fit esp in this draft.
No rookke you draft is going to come in and be able to create their own shot to the extent it actually helps you win games.