What's new

Ahearn

homeytennis

I know there's no room at the inn for him, but Blake had a nice game today and shot it like he's capable of. Hopefully a European team or another NBA team took notice.

He can hit his shots, great FT shooter, but still can't run an offense at a high level.

I'll pass.

The point of having an Ahearn on the team is to bring him in when you need to spread the floor with shooters or you need someone to shoot FT's.
Agree. Championship teams always have a few role players. When the other team needs to foul, wouldn't it be great to have the ball being inbounded to Mo, Alec or Blake? Or when the Jazz need a 3, you try to free up Mo or Blake, or even Marvin Williams.

The problem with Ahearn is that's all he's going to give you. So if you need a 3, a stop on the other end and then a 3, it's not going to happen. The other team is just going to go right at Ahearn and get a foul or an easy bucket.

Maybe 35 - 40 years ago, guys like Jimmer and Ahern (too slow/too small guys with an above average shot) belonged in the NBA, but nowadays guys need to be bigger, stronger, and faster. Ahern's gone.

With that said, Jimmer will probably get signed by the Jazz on the cheap in 2-3 years when his rookie contract is up to sell a few more season tickets.

Agree. Championship teams always have a few role players. When the other team needs to foul, wouldn't it be great to have the ball being inbounded to Mo, Alec or Blake? Or when the Jazz need a 3, you try to free up Mo or Blake, or even Marvin Williams.

The problem with Ahearn is that's all he's going to give you. So if you need a 3, a stop on the other end and then a 3, it's not going to happen. The other team is just going to go right at Ahearn and get a foul or an easy bucket.

Yeah, but if you can substitute based on offense/defensive possessions (easy to do if you are in must foul situations) he can be useful. He is a ridiculously good FT shooter too, so in must foul situations for other teams, he is a great player to have. You can always hide a player defensively for small stretches, depending on the matchups.

Doesn't annoy me but maybe he was a breech birth baby? What annoys me is that he is too slow to be a point guard in the NBA. But I hope he can carve out a career in Europe. I think most of us would like that.

I think he'll always be in that 12th/13th man-to-DLeague callup range. Just doesn't have the requisite speed or quickness to get into the paint or defend at even a competent NBA-level, and doesn't have the natural PG ability to compensate in that area.

I was advocating him for someone else, not the Jazz.
I would advocate the Lakers bring him in to be their starter.

Last edited: