Team JustTheTip:

PG - Kyle Lowry / Derrick Rose
SG - Victor Oladipo / Gary Harris
SF - Giannis Antetokounmpo / Aaron Gordon
PF - Anthony Davis / Marvin Williams
C - Pau Gasol / Jahlil Okafor

ONE LOVE's Case:

Offensive Philosophy

This team is a well-balanced offensive team. Starting with Kyrie Irving at the Point, fresh off the Championship run with the Cavs averaging: 25 points, 4.7assists and shooting 44% from 3's during the 2016 playoffs.

In the wings, we have arguably the best slashers in the NBA with the dynamic duo of Dwayne Wade (19 points, 4.7 assists) and DeRozan (23.5 points, 4 asssits).

In the middle, the ever reliable scoring machine LaMarcus Aldridge is paired with the experience of Andrew Bogut who is probably the best passing big man in the NBA today passing to Wade and DeRozan cutting to the basket is deadly.

In the 2nd unit, scorers galore starting with the dynamic Isaiah Thomas (22.2 points, 6.2 assists) running the point, flanked with proven scorers in Wesley Matthews and Joe Johnson.

KyrieFloater3.gif

fjhglm9.gif

tumblr_n40rv2evhq1s3gys4o1_400.gif

Defensive Philosophy

Defensively this team is anchored by Andrew Bogut who in 2016 was the 3rd Best Post Defender in the NBA (DFG%, 50 games or more). Rudy Gobert ranked #1

Bogut, Aldridge, West and Chandler form a core of tough, experience post players who would not budge against anyone.

Dwayne Wade, DeMar DeRozan, Wesley Matthews and Joe Johnson are all solid wing defenders as well.

Andrew-Bogut-Blocks-DeMarcus-Cousins.jpg

Match-up With JustTheTip

- PG: Kyrie Irving > Kyle Lowery

- Wings: Wade/DeRozan >> Oladipo/Giannis

- 2nd Unit: Thomas/Matthews/Johnson/West/Chandler > Rose/Harris/Gordon/Williams/Okafor

JustTheTip has put together a solid team. In the post, the Aldridge/Bogut combination is equal to the Davis/Gasol combination, so that match-up is a wash.

At the point Kyrie/Isaiah pair is superior to Lowery/Rose, and will dominate the match-up.

The tipping point in this series will be the dominance of the experienced and dynamic Wade/DeRozan combo offensively in the playoff situation over Oladipo/Giannis. Giannis averaged 11 points in 2015 playoff, and Oldadipo has never made it to the playoff.

In summary, the front court is pretty equal, but the experience of Wade/DeRozan over Oladipo/Giannis will likely push my team over the top, translating to a 4-3 series win.

giphy.gif

JustTheTip's Case:

Starters:

Kyle Lowry: coming off a career year where he averaged 21/5/6 on 43% and 39% from deep on 7 attempts a game, he's a great point to head this team. With the ability to penetrate, shoot, dish, finish and defend, he can do it all. No way Irving or IT can defend him, but he can defend them.

Victor Oladipo: Standing at 6'4 with a 6'9 wingspan, Dipo is a physical presence. As a starter he averaged 17/5/4 on 45%/37% shooting, while playing good defense. He should thrive playing next to RW, actually having a decent coach. Again, like Lowry, he can shoot, penetrate, dish, and defend. Not sure if he'll be playing DeRozan or Wade, but he'll give either one all they can handle.

Giannis Antetokounpo: Nobody can spell his name, but you all know who he is. 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan and ATHLETIC. Post all star he put up 19/9/7 on 51% shooting. He's capable of playing anywhere from PG to C. His ability to take a rebound and get downcourt in a hurry and make a play is dangerous, and vital to this team. His ability to cut to the basket will be huge with AD and Pau Gasol as the big men. I don't know who OL has to put on him. DeRozan? Wade? Joe Johnson? It doesn't matter. Giannis swallows all of them up, and they can't guard him. Enjoy the PnR with Giannis and AD/Gasol.

Anthony Davis: Stud. Can do it all. I don't need to post numbers for you, but I will. 24/10/2/2 while shooting 50/32. And he's 24. His playoff numbers are even better at 31/11/2/3. Aldridge is good, but he's not AD good. Anything Aldridge does, AD does better. Put him on a team where everybody passes well, and we're in business.

Pau Gasol: He's old, but still effective. Last year he put up 16/11/4/2. Pretty great numbers. He's still a great offensive player, and good enough on defense. Even if he doesn't score, and he will score, his passing makes everybody on this team better. With the slashers I have, Pau is very dangerous.

Bench:

DRose: He actually was really good post all star break. 17/3/5 on 47/37% splits. He'll be a nice scoring relief off the bench.

Gary Harris: He's a dog. Good shooter, good defender, makes things happen.

Aaron Gordon: he's limited offensively yet, but he can make a defensive impact. He can guard anybody on the court, and do it well.

Marvin Williams: steady vet.
Plays solid defense, stretches the floor, makes big shots.

Jah Okafor: The guy can flat out score. His defensive shortcomings are reduced by him coming off the bench and going against backup bigs.

Strategy: 1) Get Buckets
2) Don't let you get buckets
3) Win.

OL usually does really well in these competitions. I don't think he'll do as well in this one.

Just too many ball dominant players in OL's line-up.

Last edited:
Irving is a horrendous defender, Wade is bad, DeRozan can't check Giannis, Aldridge is average at best, and Bogut is good (but still limited).

OL doesn't have a chance.

How interesting that a poster who has posted once in 4 years decided to randomly partake of the polls and vote for OL.

Not suspicious at all.

Love Bern's starting lineup, but his bench really gives me pause.

I don't think it's that bad. DRose had a good 2nd half, he's a pretty good 6th man type in this scenario. GHarris is a really nice player. Better than Alec Burks for example. Gordon is super versatile, can handle, cut, but most importantly, defend. Marvin Williams is a spacer, plays solid defense. Really good backup. And then I have a guy who averaged something like 18/8 as a rookie. Big guy can score. My bench is fine.

Davis was on the path to MVP but took an unhealthy step back last year. If it weren't for that I would say JTT is the clear victor here. Davis really needs to get out of NO. That, and LMA is one of the most overrated players in the NBA so OL loses points there.

Giannis is overrated. He's an average starter at best.
Victor OliWHO?

OL's team is full of old men plenty past their prime.

Bot teams suck so I'll flip a coin. Who wants to call heads or tails?

I don't like the fit or chemistry of one loves team but I think he has a pretty good lead in overall talent level top to bottom.
One love gets my vote.

I don't like the fit or chemistry of one loves team but I think he has a pretty good lead in overall talent level top to bottom.
One love gets my vote.

Ummm...what?

He doesn't have anybody that's close to as good as AD.

He has 4 guys who need the ball to contribute, I mean, his team doesn't fit at all.

Lowry and Irving are pretty even. Irving is essentially a small SG, Lowry can actually play PG and play defense, Irving can't do either.

Oladipo and Wade are pretty even. Wade can't shoot from outside, is lazy, and is awful on defense.

DeRozan is probably better than Giannis overall, but Giannis is an awful matchup for him. Putting a guy with a 7'3 wingspan on a non-shooter? I mean, DeRozan wouldn't be able to get around him.

AD is obviously better than Aldridge.

Pau is better than Bogut.

His bench is better, but not by much. And who cares? This is the NBA, where star power matters. I have it, he doesn't. My top talent is easily much better than his. Easily.

OL bases his votes on who votes for him. Real classy.

He voted for those who voted for him, and against those who voted against him. He did not vote in matchups where the contenders haven't yet voted on his matchup, as he's still waiting.

I'm sure that will change now that I pointed it out. But it's a real douche thing to do.

Ummm...what?

He has 4 guys who need the ball to contribute, I mean, his team doesn't fit at all.

Lowry and Irving are pretty even. Irving is essentially a small SG, Lowry can actually play PG and play defense, Irving can't do either.

Oladipo and Wade are pretty even. Wade can't shoot from outside, is lazy, and is awful on defense.

DeRozan is probably better than Giannis overall, but Giannis is an awful matchup for him. Putting a guy with a 7'3 wingspan on a non-shooter? I mean, DeRozan wouldn't be able to get around him.

His bench is better, but not by much. And who cares? This is the NBA, where star power matters. I have it, he doesn't. My top talent is easily much better than his. Easily.

Derozan scored just fine on the Bucks when he played against them. Giannis isnt a lock down defender. He is just a guy who is really long.

You have porous interior defense too. Gasol is the "laziest" defender out of both teams and Anthony Davis is always late on help defense which would be expounded by him having to check Aldridge.

He voted for those who voted for him, and against those who voted against him. He did not vote in matchups where the contenders haven't yet voted on his matchup, as he's still waiting.

I'm sure that will change now that I pointed it out. But it's a real douche thing to do.

He also always seems to get random posters who never post to vote for him. Highly suspicious activity.

JTT has the best starting lineup in this whole competition.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Derozan scored just fine on the Bucks when he played against them. Giannis isnt a lock down defender. He is just a guy who is really long.

He wasn't guarded by Giannis tho.

I agree Giannis isn't a lockdown defender, but his strengths on defense matchup really well with what DeRozan likes to do. Plus, he can't defend Giannis.

And you really want to act like Lowry is better than Irving after Irving outplayed him in their head-to-head playoff series?

Ummm...what?

I agree about AD