What's new

Ryan Anderson

Jingled

2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
The Rockets have waived Ryan Anderson. I don't know how much he has left in the tank but the Jazz have the second worst bench in the league, averaging just 26.7 points a game on 40% shooting and 31% from 3. In November we're only averaging 23.4 points a game on 38.6% shooting and 27% from 3. There's no way around it, our bench desperately needs more scoring and shooting. He has to be better than Niang and might very well be better than Jeff Green too. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and he takes a roster spot from one of our scrubs at the end of the bench that's never going to see playing time anyway. Best case scenario, he gives our bench a much needed boost.

Last edited:
The Rockets have waived Ryan Anderson. I don't know how much he has left in the tank but the Jazz have the second worst bench in the league, averaging just 26.7 points a game on 40% shooting and 31% from 3. In November we're only averaging 23.4 points a game on 38.6% shooting and 27% from 3. There's no way around it, our bench desperately needs more scoring and shooting. He has to be better than Niang and might very well be better than better than Jeff Green too. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and he takes a roster spot from one of our scrubs at the end of the bench that are never going to see playing time anyway. Best case scenario, he gives our bench a much needed boost.
With what money?

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app

I’d be all over this though. It would require waiving someone, which would be a no-go for DL, and he’d likely get the Steve Novak treatment, but I’d rather see him get Niang’s minutes and at least a couple of Jeff Green’s.

Also, he’s averaging 18 rebounds per 36 this year.

On a more serious note, he’s a better rebounder than anyone we have who’s not Gobert, Davis, or Bradley. Obviously that’s not saying much because he’s not a good rebounder, but he’s better than other guys.

It is weird, he was bad last year, but decent prior to that. He is only 31, I'm surprised his offense dropped off so much. Agree he is likely done, but I think I'd still take him of Niang, LOL.

I can’t decide if he’s fully washed or hit a series of bad fits. Suns sucked so fast it became all about development... he was never a fit for what Miami does. Cap circumstances in Houston are tenuous. They are right at the tax and trying to dip under... his deal had low guarantees.

im just not sure on him... if we didn’t have Jeff Green then maybe... think he’d be a lateral move... but there might be something there. Don’t think it’s worth the money or trouble to give him a try. Think I’m more worried about backup center if Ed is out too long and Tony continues to struggle.

It's interesting when guys have a couple years where they don't play or drop off people's radar, we assume they're done. I've been a huge Dwight hater for a long time, but when people finally caught up to where I was, he became underrated and people assumed he couldn't contribute meaningfully to a basketball team. I think he's proving that wrong (for now). Ryan isn't Dwight, and that's not my point, but the dude is 31. His game was never based around athleticism, so his decline isn't as big. You could point to his defense, I'm sure, and the fact that he got beat out by PJ Tucker probably because of it, but we're talking about a guy who would take Niang's minutes and some of Green's. Basically playing a poor man's Korver role. I'm all for it. AND I'm all for getting another center. But he'd be a decent guy to run with Davis. At least he'd spread the floor a bit for Mudiay, if we're continuing down that path, and if Mudiay had awareness for a kick-out.

The numbers that our bench is putting up in November aren't a true reflection of how good/bad our bench is. Joe is in a slump that he will eventually come out of. Mudiay missed several games. Davis was out. Exum was out. Of course the bench numbers were bad. I think our bench is fine.

We could use one more bench piece in an ideal world. A PF who was consistent offensive weapon would be delightful.

Pass on Ryan Anderson tho. He ain't it.

The numbers that our bench is putting up in November aren't a true reflection of how good/bad our bench is. Joe is in a slump that he will eventually come out of. Mudiay missed several games. Davis was out. Exum was out. Of course the bench numbers were bad. I think our bench is fine.

We could use one more bench piece in an ideal world. A PF who was consistent offensive weapon would be delightful.

Pass on Ryan Anderson tho. He ain't it.

Joe slumping has really sucked the life out of that unit... Locke had a good point though... he's rolling with no passers. Mudiay - No, Green - Nah, Bradley - Nope... so it might not be the best fit for him. The other issue might be the big screen setters. Davis can't catch and finish, Bradley doesn't set great picks and is not the smartest basketball player... so I'm not sure he's in a great situation to succeed.

I agree on Anderson... I think the long-term issue that we need to solve is backup center. Locke talked about running Green there so Dante could take up Jeff's wing minutes. So our third year center... break-glass in case of emergency guy... might not be good enough to play 12 minutes a night... good thing we picked up that option.

If the locker room stuff is not an issue I'd say go get Joakim Noah. I'm not sure he's an issue I just think he's a different dude... he produced well in Memphis... can defend well, elite big for passing, has lots of energy... we ain't got time for Bradley to become an okay backup right now.

Joe slumping has really sucked the life out of that unit... Locke had a good point though... he's rolling with no passers. Mudiay - No, Green - Nah, Bradley - Nope... so it might not be the best fit for him. The other issue might be the big screen setters. Davis can't catch and finish, Bradley doesn't set great picks and is not the smartest basketball player... so I'm not sure he's in a great situation to succeed.

I know Mudiay is playing well right now but I can't help but wonder if he's actually helping the team or just putting up stats. His usage rate is crazy high right now and he always just seems to want to go one on one. He's not really running Quins offense and we have very little ball movement with him dominating the ball. He's giving us scoring but I don't feel he's looking to pass enough or making his teammates better. I'm really missing Neto.

I agree on Anderson... I think the long-term issue that we need to solve is backup center. Locke talked about running Green there so Dante could take up Jeff's wing minutes. So our third year center... break-glass in case of emergency guy... might not be good enough to play 12 minutes a night... good thing we picked up that option.

If the locker room stuff is not an issue I'd say go get Joakim Noah. I'm not sure he's an issue I just think he's a different dude... he produced well in Memphis... can defend well, elite big for passing, has lots of energy... we ain't got time for Bradley to become an okay backup right now.
Down for Noah but he apparently got injured kinda badly over the offseason although I have found no details beyond that. I’m pretty sure that’s why he hasn’t been signed (yet).

Down for Noah but he apparently got injured kinda badly over the offseason although I have found no details beyond that. I’m pretty sure that’s why he hasn’t been signed (yet).

Windhorst said he got hurt at the Lakers tryout, but said he's healthy now... it was a correction so I'm sure he heard from Noah's agent... which would lead me to believe he's ready and wants to be signed... somewhere.