What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Will Kessler ever get to the level as Dallas’s two centers, Gafford or Lively? It’s insane how much we’ve invested in that position over the years to have so little.

Having said that, we freaking need to draft athletes. Dallas has wave after wave of athletes. Same with Minnesota. And Boston. We have small volume shooting guards. We need more athletes. At the very least we need some guys that can defend, run, jump, and tear down the rim.

I don't think we've invested all that much
Don’t we owe our pick to OKC next year because we wanted a backup to Rudy? I seem to remember passing up on mcdaniels and Bane for a center in a draft as well. Not to mention the Rudy trade, Kessler being the only player we kept. Seems to me like we should have more to show for all of this.

Don’t we owe our pick to OKC next year because we wanted a backup to Rudy? I seem to remember passing up on mcdaniels and Bane for a center in a draft as well. Not to mention the Rudy trade, Kessler being the only player we kept. Seems to me like we should have more to show for all of this.
I guess I was only thinking of the current front office.

I guess I was only thinking of the current front office.
I wasn’t. I’m thinking over the course of the last 5 or so years, we’ve burned roughly 3 first round picks on centers, passing up players who’d be key starters for us right now, when Dallas seemingly in their sleep have two centers that are better than our starting center.

I wasn’t. I’m thinking over the course of the last 5 or so years, we’ve burned roughly 3 first round picks on centers, passing up players who’d be key starters for us right now, when Dallas seemingly in their sleep have two centers that are better than our starting center.
Move on

Will Kessler ever get to the level as Dallas’s two centers, Gafford or Lively? It’s insane how much we’ve invested in that position over the years to have so little.

Having said that, we freaking need to draft athletes. Dallas has wave after wave of athletes. Same with Minnesota. And Boston. We have small volume shooting guards. We need more athletes. At the very least we need some guys that can defend, run, jump, and tear down the rim.
When I watch Boston I don't see a ton of athletes.

Jazz have Lauri (great size combined with crazy hops), Sexton (crazy speed combined with crazy hops), Collins (dunk contest level jumper), Hendricks (length, speed, good jumper), keyonte (good athleticism)

Celtics have brown and tatum. Derrick White is nothing to write home about athletically. Horford? Lol. Holiday? Nope. Payton Pritchard? Nope. Sam houser? Luke kornet?

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

When I watch Boston I don't see a ton of athletes.

Jazz have Lauri (great size combined with crazy hops), Sexton (crazy speed combined with crazy hops), Collins (dunk contest level jumper), Hendricks (length, speed, good jumper), keyonte (good athleticism)

Celtics have brown and tatum. Derrick White is nothing to write home about athletically. Horford? Lol. Holiday? Nope. Payton Pritchard? Nope. Sam houser? Luke kornet?

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk
Yeah I would say you're pretty wrong.

Holiday and White are two of the best defensive players in the NBA. You have to be athletic to have that distinction. Might not be flashy athleticism, but they are athletic.

Yeah I would say you're pretty wrong.

Holiday and White are two of the best defensive players in the NBA. You have to be athletic to have that distinction. Might not be flashy athleticism, but they are athletic.
Defense is not just about athleticism.. other stuff such as technique (esp footwork), IQ/experience, effort, reflexes and physical dimensions are also important. Some of them like technique is way more important.

I think Jrue and White are decent athletes, but I would also say they are nothing to write home about.

For Jrue there is also statistical evidence that suggest at least a moderare decline in athleticism as he doesnt get to the rim as much as he used to and has increased his floater and 3P ratio. The percentage of his shot attempts in RA has been declining since 2019-20 (year by year from 39% -> 33% -> 27% -> 23% -> 21% this season), and over the past 4 years he has combined for less that 30 dunk attemps while in the 3 years prior to that he combined for over 80.

Defense is not just about athleticism.. other stuff such as technique (esp footwork), IQ/experience, effort, reflexes and physical dimensions are also important. Some of them like technique is way more important.

I think Jrue and White are decent athletes, but I would also say they are nothing to write home about.

For Jrue there is also statistical evidence that suggest at least a moderare decline in athleticism as he doesnt get to the rim as much as he used to and has increased his floater and 3P ratio. The percentage of his shot attempts in RA has been declining since 2019-20 (year by year from 39% -> 33% -> 27% -> 23% -> 21% this season), and over the past 4 years he has combined for less that 30 dunk attemps while in the 3 years prior to that he combined for over 80.
How many elite defenders arent athletic? Cmon now. It's about athleticism.

Jrue focuses his effort on the defensive end which explains the decline in offensive stats that indicate athleticism.

How many elite defenders arent athletic? Cmon now. It's about athleticism.

Jrue focuses his effort on the defensive end which explains the decline in offensive stats that indicate athleticism.
I didnt say he isnt athletic, but I dont see him being elite athlete. Maybe decent was lowballing him and good would have been better.

I didnt say he isnt athletic, but I dont see him being elite athlete. Maybe decent was lowballing him and good would have been better.
I just think the definition of athleticism in basketball peoples minds is skewed towards very specific traits. Reaction time is athleticism. Lateral movement is athleticism. Balance is athleticism.

The WCF is going to be fun no matter who plays The Mavs. I expect Boston to be in the Finals but in the West it's anyone's guess.

Are we going to see the return of youngjefe tonight or will we have to wait until some point in the WCF?