What's new

“Hustle” (Juancho) Review

Release the Kraken

For those that have been waiting to see what the latest Adam Sandler / Juancho Hernangomez collaboration has to offer, it is now available and streaming on Netflix. If you're a fan of the rags to riches "Rocky" genre (who isn't), you're likely to enjoy this one. Somewhat of a departure for Sandler as it falls more into the drama than comedy category, and therefore hard to compare to other Happy Madison productions. I'd say that it compares favorably with some of his best work, particularly since he started working exclusively for Netflix. It's also a treat for every NBA fan out there with appearances from scads of big names past and present.

For his part. Juancho is superb in his role as a down on his luck construction worker who spends his free time hustling at local playground courts. Sandler of course is the NBA scout (Sixers) that discovers him in Spain and takes it upon himself to bring him to the States (without any kind of commitment from the front office). It's a family friendly production with both parties having young daughters (Juancho a single father, Sandler married to Queen Latifa) which is noteworthy as a few of the Happy Madison productions I've seen on Netflix have been pretty raunchy. Other performances of note were Anthony Edwards as Juancho's trash talking main rival (projected top draft pick), Kenny the Jet Smith, nice little cameo from Robert Duvall and my favorite Jazzman, Jordan Clarkson. Check it out, let me know what you think!

PS A forumite has pointed out the F word being used profusely and an R rating, so proceed with caution. That being said, there is no graphic sex and violence and I found it tame for an Adam Sandler film. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
For those that have been waiting to see what the latest Adam Sandler / Juancho Hernangomez collaboration has to offer, it is now available and streaming on Netflix. If you're a fan of the rags to riches "Rocky" genre (who isn't), you're likely to enjoy this one. Somewhat of a departure for Sandler as it falls more into the drama than comedy category, and therefore hard to compare to other Happy Madison productions, I'd say that it compares favorably with some of his best work, particularly since he started working exclusively for Netflix. It's also a treat for every NBA fan out there with appearances from scads of big names past and present.

For his part. Juancho is superb in his role as a down on his luck construction worker who spends his free time hustling at local playground courts. Sandler of course is the NBA scout (Sixers) that discovers him in Spain and takes it upon himself to bring him to the States (without any kind of commitment from the front office). It's a family friendly production with both parties having young daughters (Juancho a single father, Sandler married to Queen Latifa) which is noteworthy as a few of the Happy Madison productions I've seen on Netflix have been pretty raw to say the least. Other performances of note were Anthony Edwards as Juancho's trash talking main rival (projected top draft pick), Kenny the Jet Smith, nice little cameo from Robert Duvall and my favorite Jazzman, Jordan Clarkson. Check it out, let me know what you think!
I didn't even know this was in production. Thanks for sharing. Should be a good watch.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Right? And the cool part is they say that life imitates art! Can’t wait for Juancho to turn into “The Cruz Missile” for the Jazz.:cool:
I like how Juan came into Utah as like this unknown guy and started kicking *** as soon as he was given a few minutes. Next season he's gonna step up big time, and we take the league by storm with our new roster and jerseys.

It was pretty good. Basically just one, long slob-fest for the NBA. It's one of those movies that will be dated in ten years because of how much it leans into the current NBA and the players, even though there are some, like Anthony Edwards, who play fictional players.

But I liked it.

It was pretty good. Basically just one, long slob-fest for the NBA. It's one of those movies that will be dated in ten years because of how much it leans into the current NBA and the players, even though there are some, like Anthony Edwards, who play fictional players.

But I liked it.
Yeah, safe to say it’s not getting any Academy Awards. Formulaic and fairly predictable, yet my interest never waned due to the pace, highlight reel game sequences and the acting chemistry. Juan and Edwards are naturals and Sandler turns in a fine dramatic performance IMO.

Yeah, safe to say it’s not getting any Academy Awards. Formulaic and fairly predictable, yet my interest never waned due to the pace, highlight reel game sequences and the acting chemistry. Juan and Edwards are naturals and Sandler turns in a fine dramatic performance IMO.

True. Followed the sports movie formula to a goddamn t lol