What's new

“Legacies” convo

oneye

2018 Award Winner
Seeing as we’re clearly at what will be the end of an era of Jazz basketball this offseason, likely bleeding into next offseason, what is the legacy of this iteration of the Jazz and what is the legacy of Rudy and Donovan if this is where it ends and Rudy is traded this summer, and Donovan is traded this summer or next by demand? Is it a fond legacy? Soured legacy?

For the team(and the stats share some of this) I’d just say I’ll remember them as probably the biggest disappointment/underachieving iteration of a Jazz basketball team ever.

As for the stars, some of that with both of them. Clearly I don’t like the one dude at all. Imo, he pissed most of what he did down the drain, and will finish it off with a trade demand in the next year or so. Rudy is more complicated. Individually I think Rudy became the best of what he had the capability of being as a player. I think he tried to make it work. Rudy has given some disappointment to, but overall I think he’s safely in a good legacy category. I wouldn’t say Rudy has done anything to warrant anything like a jersey retirement or anything like that tbh though. Maybe I’m wrong there, he does have 3 DPOY awards and multiple All NBA selections but it feels like the team never made it where it needed to go for something like that.

Thoughts on what the overall legacies will be with the franchise?

I honestly think both guys will likely be back with the Jazz next season, but even if Rudy has played his last game in a Jazz uniform, he's already done more than enough to warrant having his number retired. Three time all-star, defensive player of the year and All-NBA. Second in franchise history in total rebounds and rebounds per game, second in blocks per game and third in total blocks, tenth in Points and games played, seventh in minutes, first in FG%, TS%, EFG%, win shares per 48 minutes, and rebound percentage, second in offensive rating, 4th in offensive and defensive win shares and third in win shares. His jersey will definitely hang in the rafters one day.

I honestly think both guys will likely be back with the Jazz next season, but even if Rudy has played his last game in a Jazz uniform, he's already done more than enough to warrant having his number retired. Three time all-star, defensive player of the year and All-NBA. Second in franchise history in total rebounds and rebounds per game, second in blocks per game and third in total blocks, tenth in Points and games played, seventh in minutes, first in FG%, TS%, EFG%, win shares per 48 minutes, and rebound percentage, second in offensive rating, 4th in offensive and defensive win shares and third in win shares. His jersey will definitely hang in the rafters one day.
They could both be back, but it’ll essentially be for AS game purposes. We’re at a point where they’re not going anywhere. If they are both back it’ll just be a similar iteration of this team with some tweaks and a year of rumors, gossip, and a 1st round exit until it is over, so it might as well just be over now. May as well discuss it as such lol. As for Rudy’s jersey. He’s had a lot of individual success, there just hasn’t been much heightened team success. I’m not opposed to it. Clearly no one will come close to “statue” status, but a number retirement would probably be fine with Rudy.

They could both be back, but it’ll essentially be for AS game purposes. We’re at a point where they’re not going anywhere. If they are both back it’ll just be a similar iteration of this team with some tweaks and a year of rumors, gossip, and a 1st round exit until it is over, so it might as well just be over now. May as well discuss it as such lol.

I'm not saying they should both be back, that's just what I think's going to happen. If it were up to me, I'd trade them both along with Bogey, Clarkson, Royce, and Conley. Just blow the whole thing up, acquire as many draft picks and as much young talent as possible and begin the re-build.

They could both be back, but it’ll essentially be for AS game purposes. We’re at a point where they’re not going anywhere. If they are both back it’ll just be a similar iteration of this team with some tweaks and a year of rumors, gossip, and a 1st round exit until it is over, so it might as well just be over now. May as well discuss it as such lol. As for Rudy’s jersey. He’s had a lot of individual success, there just hasn’t been much heightened team success. I’m not opposed to it. Clearly no one will come close to “statue” status, but a number retirement would probably be fine with Rudy.
C’mon it’s Utah after all, stuck in a time warp clinging to the past. It’s Ground Hog Day and these guys will never leave unless they decree it. Trying to re-enact the past and from a PR perspective this is the closest thing to Stock and Malone we’ve seen around here supplanting DWill and Booze for that prize. If neither ***** the bed on the way out, I expect they both get their Jerseys retired as the media commemorates the Franchise’s winningest season!

The AS game narrative is something that might be true but mostly something made up on this site. I don't believe for a minute that the Jazz FO will even factor it in when deciding how to make this team better. That is not because I think we have a good front office, it is simply because doing so makes no sense.

Agreed on Rudy and his number being retired. He has been amazing both on the court as with his commitment to the organization.
I'm not saying they should both be back, that's just what I think's going to happen. If it were up to me, I'd trade them both along with Bogey, Clarkson, Royce, and Conley. Just blow the whole thing up, acquire as many draft picks and as much young talent as possible and begin the re-build.
I hope we dont blow it up but that depends upon how fractured things really are and that is still a bit of a mystery. If we make a trade I hope it is only one of Rudy or Donny, not both. The road back is long and slow. I also happen to believe we have more front office dysfunction than player dysfunction. Ryan Smith has brought a completely different approach to how things are run and things seem to be in shambles. Hopefully that settles down.

Rudy is going to go down as one of the greatest defenders of all time.

Donovan will go down as "Hey you remember those weird years around the bubble where guys scored a lot of points and that guy who lost to Jamal Murray that one year?"

That grumpy players article in desnews is so spot on… especially after seeing en entitled 40 year old CP3 yelling and trying to fight that 15 year old entitled little fanboy it’s pathetic. There are no adults on nba rosters. NBA players will continue to alienate its fan base and the fan base will grow more tired of watching these losers. It’s what’s happening to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That grumpy players article in desnews is so spot on… especially after seeing en entitled 40 year old CP3 yelling and trying to fight that 15 year old entitled little fanboy it’s pathetic. There are no adults on nba rosters. NBA players will continue to alienate its fan base and the fan base will grow more tired of watching these losers. It’s what’s happening to me.

Post the article, but generally I agree (outside Giannis and a couple others) the NBA is full of grown *** man babies who whine, cry, and are the most entitled individuals on the planet who think they’re Gods gift to us all. If our own little diva is still on our team there’s a pretty high likelihood I won’t be watching next season. Fans are obnoxious and should also not cross lines or make any physical contact (even if it’s an unwanted hug) but players deserve far more repercussions for flipping fans off, fighting with fans, etc. Yes. You are a professional getting paid millions of dollars to do your job and you can act like one. Then there’s Ja Morants “catching hollow points” tweet….NBA players really are the worst among us in society.

Last edited:

Jesus I just watched that, its pathetic.

Post the article, but generally I agree (outside Giannis and a couple others) the NBA is full of grown *** man babies who whine, cry, and are the most entitled individuals on the planet who think they’re Gods gift to us all. If our own little diva is still on our team there’s a pretty high likelihood I won’t be watching next season. Fans are obnoxious and should also not cross lines or make any physical contact (even if it’s an unwanted hug) but players deserve far more repercussions for flipping fans off, fighting with fans, etc. Yes. You are a professional getting paid millions of dollars to do your job and you can act like one. Then there’s Ja Morants “catching hollow points” tweet….NBA players really are the worst among us in society.

It’s in the Jazz news forum- https://www.deseret.com/2022/5/14/2...-irving-lebron-james-james-harden-adam-silver

NBA players really are the worst no doubt. Donovan came into the league happy go lucky and now he’s just as big of a bitch as anyone. Joe was the last guy that managed to enjoy making millions playing a kids game. Player stupidity know no bounds… What the hell is Ja even referencing? I didn’t see the tweet, so I have no idea. I’m a little bit surprised, because I sorta like Ja. Every NBA player tends to get less and less likable though, the longer they are in the league, so I guess Ja is no different. Any character or happiness seems to decay so quickly from these guys now days.

Last edited:
Jesus I just watched that, its pathetic.

Ya it’s so bad… I can’t imagine escalating a situation and acting like that towards some 15 year old kid, because he did something stupid. It’s crazy that CP3 really didn’t get any blowback whatsoever. It’s really bad on both sides but I can’t help thinking CP3 seems so pathetic to me.

This post makes me kinda sad.

It’s in the Jazz news forum- https://www.deseret.com/2022/5/14/2...-irving-lebron-james-james-harden-adam-silver

NBA players really are the worst no doubt. Donovan came into the league happy go lucky and now he’s just as big of a bitch as anyone. Joe was the last guy that managed to enjoy making millions playing a kids game. Player stupidity know no bounds… What the hell is Ja even referencing? I didn’t see the tweet, so I have no idea. I’m a little bit surprised, because I sorta like Ja. Every NBA player tends to get less and less likable though, the longer they are in the league, so I guess Ja is no different. Any character or happiness seems to decay so quickly from these guys now days.

Ja sent out a tweet basically implying a fan who said something on Twitter could catch hollow points(bullets). Implying shooting a fan is…..terribly yikes.

Here’s the interaction:

View: https://twitter.com/mevvybear/status/1525382280142790657?s=21&t=h-lyjE7p7AUOVN5yqBw_mQ