What's new

“Sometimes, I worry about shooting too much,” Miles said

eacioban

Well, please tell us something we don't know already....

Jazz notes: Uncertainty clouds Miles’ mind, future

By Tony Jones

The Salt Lake Tribune
Published: April 8, 2011 09:00PM
Updated: April 9, 2011 12:15AM

It was a little less than a month ago when it was thought C.J. Miles had arrived.

The Jazz swingman had just dropped 40 points on the Minnesota Timberwolves, needing only 18 shots. He looked smooth, explosive and confident. It appeared that Utah’s lengthy investment in him had finally started to pay off.

On Friday, at an early morning practice, Miles is clearly not the same player. Now he’s thinking too much, wondering if every shot is a good one. Now he’s unsure of his role, and there’s at least the question of whether he’ll be back next season, as the Jazz hold his team option and haven’t hinted one way or the other whether they’ll use it.

“Sometimes, I worry about shooting too much,” Miles said. “I think too much out there. It’s a little frustrating, but I’m just trying to play well and finish the season strong.”

Even with that mission statement, the numbers on Miles during the past three games are stunningly poor for an NBA starter. In Thursday night’s loss to Portland, he went 3 of 11 from the field on his way to six points.

In the past three games, Miles is a combined 8 of 32 from the floor and 0 of 7 from 3-point land. More discouraging is the fact that his floor game has suffered as well. Miles has seven turnovers, four assists and just two rebounds.

It’s that kind of inconsistency that’s plagued him his entire career. He’ll have a few games in which he plays great and gives a hint as to his talent. Then he’ll turn around and play like he has during the past week.

“Consistency is his thing,” Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. “Not only on the offensive end. He’s got to play defense, he’s got to make plays off the dribble and do other things on the floor to be effective.”

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/51592955-87/jazz-games-floor-past.html.csp

We will pick up his option. Depending on who we pick in the draft, Miles would be good as an 8th or 9th man. He can come in and score points, but he is not nearly consistent enough to be relied on as a sixth man. Also, his contract is cheap, so if anything, we could add him as a sweetener in a trade.

Miles is definitely mentally weak. If he was really a shooter he should not be worrying about whether or not he is shooting too much. As big a fan of his as I have been this statement is troubling and is probably at the root of his problems on the court. He should not still be thinking that much while on the floor. By now the Jazz's offense should be ingrained and he should know it's a good shot before going up with it. For a shooter to be consistent he needs to have confidence that his shot will go in.

They still need to pick up his option but this team needs more depth. Miles can not be relied on to perform on a consistent basis.

When CJ concentrates on shooting jumpers and scoring, he misses and becomes frustrated as the offense clunkers along.

When CJ concentrates on playing the game of basketball which includes defense, rebounding, driving, a few jumpers, and letting the game come to him, he succeeds and the offense executes.

When the balls don't drop, you have to go to a new, higher source of power. CJ needs to find that power, within himself and his enemies.

Sometimes I wonder whether the field goals are an actual stat, but if they aren't, what's the point anyway?

- Craig

The problem w/CJ has always been this. All he worries about is shooting.

He believes his only contributions to the team is his shooting and scoring. Instead of just letting the game come to him.

Yeah, that's the thing, when you concentrate on one area, the other areas don't rear their head as much. They become irrelevant. The thing about CJ is he can really grab those rebounds and loose balls, he's also great at running the pick & roll, but we never see it because it never happens.

- Craig

Having CJ worry about shooting too much is like Obama wondering if he is spending too much money. No team in the league would allow an inefficient player shoot as much as CJ has this year. I actually blame the coaching staff. They obviously have told CJ that he is the scoring punch off the bench and he felt like he had to come in the game firing. I can't think of any other reason they would have let him shoot as much as he has this year.

tell us something we don't know

Miles is a combined 8 of 32 from the floor and 0 of 7 from 3-point land

Oof.

If we pick up his option I gotta feeling it's going to end really bad

What's CJ's option worth? Like 4.5 million? Sorry, but with the outrageous contracts players are getting these days that's a bargain. CJ is good enough to be the 7th or 8th man on a great team and that's worth keeping around. With all the turmoil this year he's just been asked to take on a role that he's honestly not capable of. He was a 2nd round project who has turned into a solid NBA caliber player with an extremely reasonable deal. I have no issue keeping CJ around at that price for as long as we can.

In CJ's defense, he does get the ball with only a few seconds left everytime and is the one who has to throw something up. The Jazz overall need to figure a way to get quicker offense.

CJ is still worth keeping.
At least for one more year.
Maybe next year Corbin will find better ways to use him.

What's CJ's option worth? Like 4.5 million? Sorry, but with the outrageous contracts players are getting these days that's a bargain. CJ is good enough to be the 7th or 8th man on a great team and that's worth keeping around. With all the turmoil this year he's just been asked to take on a role that he's honestly not capable of. He was a 2nd round project who has turned into a solid NBA caliber player with an extremely reasonable deal. I have no issue keeping CJ around at that price for as long as we can.

Miles is a combined 8 of 32 from the floor and 0 of 7 from 3-point land

not so sure

If Al Harrington got the full midlevel, CJ would get that or more. CJ is younger and has more potential than Harrington

That being said, keep him for a bench role, nothing more. If he did the little things more, took better shots and played D, we wouldn't be looking for a 2 guard.

If Al Harrington got the full midlevel, CJ would get that or more. CJ is younger and has more potential than Harrington

That being said, keep him for a bench role, nothing more. If he did the little things more, took better shots and played D, we wouldn't be looking for a 2 guard.

Harrington's a 6'9" SF who can cause major mismatches and is unique in that way. CJ is just another wing who chucks too much and is a bitch when push comes to shove. By no means is that a compliment to Al but you're gravely mistaken if you think GM's are going to pay the full mid-level or more for C.J. in this NBA economy, especially considering the fact that his shooting numbers have worsened year to year and OKC only offered him about 70% of that when he showed more promise.

I remember games where Larry Bird of the Celtics couldn't throw it in the ocean! He didn't pout about it; instead he'd hit the boards and come away with like 20 rebounds! He was never much athletically on defense, but he compensated by LEARNING his opponents moves and "sweet spots" on the court and overplaying them or beating them to those spots. If Larry Bird could do all that, I see no real reason CJ, who is way more athletic, can't work at the WHOLE game of basketball. CJ's gotta learn to recognize and react to GAME situations and not think about scoring at all.
Corbin at least is SAYING the right things to the players and press about this situation...

The thing about potential, there's no guarantee a person will reach it. CJ strikes me as the kind of person who will never live up to what he could be. He just doesn't have the mentality. A little time playing college ball would have served him well, I think. As it stands he isn't a nice role player, or guy coming off the bench. He's a steaming pile of **** and should be shown the door at the end of the season.

Can we finally call this clown a bust?