What's new

“We have no idea what the Celtics are doing on defense”

Hearsky

“We have no idea what the Celtics are doing on defense”: Donovan Mitchell confided in the Dwyane Wade on how clueless he was of how to tackle Jayson Tatum and company​

I've generally been supportive of Quin. If this quote is accurate, the entire coaching staff needs to be fired immediatley. What an absolute complete ****ing **** show this team has become. They are stealing from paying customers.

“We have no idea what the Celtics are doing on defense”: Donovan Mitchell confided in the Dwyane Wade on how clueless he was of how to tackle Jayson Tatum and company​

I've generally been supportive of Quin. If this quote is accurate, the entire coaching staff needs to be fired immediatley. What an absolute complete ****ing **** show this team has become. They are stealing from paying customers.

A few interesting bits from the article:

His vision of course, was ball movement along with player movement. Get guys involved on offense through sets that were designed for certain players. While that may sound like a ‘my turn-your turn’ type offense, it most certainly isn’t. It’s much more free-flowing than before and the ball doesn’t seem to stick to one person for more than 4 seconds.

Huh, that sounds EXACTLY like what our offense does when it is clicking. Guess when our offense falls apart? Yep, when the ball sticks with one guy for more than 4 seconds. Usually Mitchell or Clarkson.

The Utah Jazz-Boston Celtics matchup from a couple days ago saw the Celts put up a whopping 125 points on the Jazz. The fact that they rained in 19 of their 36 threes should give you all a story on what took place in the Rudy Gobert dismantling part of the game.

Imagine that, it is our inability to defend on the perimeter than caused us to get blown out at the 3 point line. They took Gobert out of the game by grossly exploiting our inability to stop anyone on the perimeter at all. Shocker. Who could have seen this coming? Definitely not the coaching staff or the FO, that is for ****ing sure.

During the game, Donovan Mitchell, who had a great offensive game with 37 points, approached Jazz minority owner and Miami Heat legend, Dwyane Wade, and told him, “We can’t figure out what the Celtics are doing defensively. We don’t have a clue.”

That is 100% on the coach. I mean, literally, not figuratively, 100% on the coach and the coaching staff. Get the bums out of here.

Man, I have a radically different take on this than you guys.

This is what the Celtics defense has been doing to EVERYBODY for the last few months. It's been the best defense in the league by a country mile. They went up by 30 on the Suns earlier on the season and held them to 41 points in the 1st half, before coasting to the finish line in the 2nd half. And they did that without Tatum. The Jazz are just one of many teams that haven't figured out how to attack it.

What I'm wondering is why the hell Mitchell is talking to the owners and undermining the coaches mid-game.

Five out lineup, switch everything. Disrupt the ball movement/passing lane and stop the pick n roll. Take Rudy out of the game. Force us to beat them one on one. Simple formula to beat the Jazz.

Man, I have a radically different take on this than you guys.

This is what the Celtics defense has been doing to EVERYBODY for the last few months. It's been the best defense in the league by a country mile. They went up by 30 on the Suns earlier on the season and held them to 41 points in the 1st half, before coasting to the finish line in the 2nd half. And they did that without Tatum. The Jazz are just one of many teams that haven't figured out how to attack it.

What I'm wondering is why the hell Mitchell is talking to the owners and undermining the coaches mid-game.
Yes, that is why they blew us out. But the other issues we have are why other teams are beating us as well, just not in blow outs.

Yes, that is why they blew us out. But the other issues we have are why other teams are beating us as well, just not in blow outs.
I'm not arguing that Quin is perfect, but this particular article that OP posted is more indicative of Mitchell being a diva than it is of Quin and his staff being incompetent.

Both can be true at the same time.
Not in this case, unless you also want to call every other coaching staff whose teams looked clueless against Boston's defense incompetent as well.

Had no idea Monty Williams was so incompetent. Suns better fire him and his staff immediately.

Five out lineup, switch everything. Disrupt the ball movement/passing lane and stop the pick n roll. Take Rudy out of the game. Force us to beat them one on one. Simple formula to beat the Jazz.

Donovan will shred any defense that switches everything. Remember, the Jazz had elite offense against the Clippers. What teams are doing now is trapping Don, switching everything else….we don’t have an answer for that because Don wants to shoot it anyways or is too small to pass out of the trap fast enough.

As far as attacking our defense….cat is out of the bag on that one. Everyone is complete garbage on defense besides Gobert. Not difficult to find ways to score around a one man defense.

Not in this case, unless you also want to call every other coaching staff whose teams looked clueless against Boston's defense incompetent as well.

Had no idea Monty Williams was so incompetent. Suns better fire him and his staff immediately.
It is one data point among many. It is not isolated and it makes no sense to draw a conclusion from a single game in any direction. But as a whole, and what we have seen recently, with other data points to consider, this game is supportive of the trends.

It is one data point among many. It is not isolated and it makes no sense to draw a conclusion from a single game in any direction.
I agree. When you look at the whole picture instead of a single game sample size, the Jazz have the best offensive rating in the NBA, and it isn't particularly close.

I agree. When you look at the whole picture instead of a single game sample size, the Jazz have the best offensive rating in the NBA, and it isn't particularly close.
Yeah and as we head down the stretch to the playoffs we are slipping. Over the last 15 games we have the 11th best ORTG and the 13th DRTG and 10th net rating. For the month of March our ORTG is 12th. Feb we were 1st. Before the all-star game we were 1st, since all-star, 10th. Over the last 5 games our ORTG is 15th, and our DRTG is 13th. Not the direction we want to be going heading into the playoffs. For the season our ORTG is 116.1 and PHX is 115.0. Not as far ahead as we had thought, and Boston is coming up fast. All in all it signals a real collapse here at the worst possible time.

Yeah and as we head down the stretch to the playoffs we are slipping. Over the last 15 games we have the 11th best ORTG and the 13th DRTG and 10th net rating. For the month of March our ORTG is 12th. Feb we were 1st. Before the all-star game we were 1st, since all-star, 10th. Over the last 5 games our ORTG is 15th, and our DRTG is 13th. Not the direction we want to be going heading into the playoffs. For the season our ORTG is 116.1 and PHX is 115.0. Not as far ahead as we had thought, and Boston is coming up fast. All in all it signals a real collapse here at the worst possible time.
This was inevitable with the injuries and brutal March schedule.

The simple yet impossible solution is to make teams pay by beating them underneath. Rudy is terrible at any resemblance of offense with the ball in hands and our PF is impossibly 5x worse.

Donovan will shred any defense that switches everything. Remember, the Jazz had elite offense against the Clippers. What teams are doing now is trapping Don, switching everything else….we don’t have an answer for that because Don wants to shoot it anyways or is too small to pass out of the trap fast enough.

As far as attacking our defense….cat is out of the bag on that one. Everyone is complete garbage on defense besides Gobert. Not difficult to find ways to score around a one man defense.
Nah, Donovan can shred any defense. Yes. But he can't do that for 4 quarters. Let him drop 50 and he will run out of gas at some point. Where will that other 60pts come from? We don't have that second option who could beat his defender without any kind of screen assist or mismatch advantage. Five out lineup didn't just attack our weakness on lack of perimeter/switch defender, but it takes our whole offensive scheme away as well. Without any ball movement or pick n roll action to set the guys open, JC/Conley/Bogey are inconsistent at best when it comes to creating their own shots. Then it will easily become Joker situation in Denver or Embiid before Harden. You need at least two shot creators to win a championship.

We need to figure how to drive and make Rudy an option within 15 feet of the basket. We got rub off the defense and give Rudy openings. This would lead to better inside scoring for the guards and better looks on the outside. Rudy does have his weakness. It is undeniable but I think the team can work with it to leverage his strengths.

Nah, Donovan can shred any defense. Yes. But he can't do that for 4 quarters. Let him drop 50 and he will run out of gas at some point. Where will that other 60pts come from? We don't have that second option who could beat his defender without any kind of screen assist or mismatch advantage. Five out lineup didn't just attack our weakness on lack of perimeter/switch defender, but it takes our whole offensive scheme away as well. Without any ball movement or pick n roll action to set the guys open, JC/Conley/Bogey are inconsistent at best when it comes to creating their own shots. Then it will easily become Joker situation in Denver or Embiid before Harden. You need at least two shot creators to win a championship.

Like I said….we had elite offense for an entire series against a very good switch only defense. This was without Conley. Switching everything doesn’t work against Don in a series. If it did, we wouldn’t be able to produce an elite offense over 6 games. Don+spacing+Rudy camping at the rim is not going to work by switching everything. It’s not like Don scored all 120 points himself. When the Jazz have struggled, it’s because opposing teams have blitzed and trapped Don.

Like I said….we had elite offense for an entire series against a very good switch only defense. This was without Conley. Switching everything doesn’t work against Don in a series. If it did, we wouldn’t be able to produce an elite offense over 6 games. Don+spacing+Rudy camping at the rim is not going to work by switching everything. It’s not like Don scored all 120 points himself. When the Jazz have struggled, it’s because opposing teams have blitzed and trapped Don.
and like I said. We can generate some great offense with Donovan because he's an elite offensive player. But it's not sustainable for 4 quarters.

We don't just give up the big lead by playing awful defense. We give up lead because we can't stop the opponent from scoring AND we struggle to score ourselves. During that epic G6 second half meltdown against the Clippers, we only scored 45 points and shot well below 40% as a team. Does that speak "elite offense" to you?

When Donovan is in rhythm, opponent can't stop him one on one as he beats his defender with ease and opens everything for his teammates. But when Donovan run out of gas, our offense just stagnate because no one else could create anything consistently with a defender standing right in front of him. Having Conley available doesn't help much in this case either as majority of his points come from Rudy's screen assists. Take that away and have him beat you one on one