What's new

“We have no idea what the Celtics are doing on defense”

and like I said. We can generate some great offense with Donovan because he's an elite offensive player. But it's not sustainable for 4 quarters.

We don't just give up the big lead by playing awful defense. We give up lead because we can't stop the opponent from scoring AND we struggle to score ourselves. During that epic G6 second half meltdown against the Clippers, we only scored 45 points and shot well below 40% as a team. Does that speak "elite offense" to you?

When Donovan is in rhythm, opponent can't stop him one on one as he beats his defender with ease and opens everything for his teammates. But when Donovan run out of gas, our offense just stagnate because no one else could create anything consistently with a defender standing right in front of him. Having Conley available doesn't help much in this case either as majority of his points come from Rudy's screen assists. Take that away and have him beat you one on one

Do points in the second half count for more or something? If you scored 75 in both halves is that somehow better than scoring 200 in the first and 0 in the second? Of course not. Your score over 4 quarters is your score over 4 quarters. If it’s elite then it’s elite. What’s makes me say it say it’s elite is that it’s elite over six full games. So let me ask you the same question. What about having an elite offense over 6 full games does not speak “elite offense” to you? If Don coasted the first half, saved energy for later in the game, and we produced the same exact offensive output (which is elite) there’s no difference.

You’re also taking one half of basketball where we had several wide open shots if you watch it again btw. The guy who ran out of gas was also on a bum ankle and you can’t take away Conley like it’s an afterthought.

The Jazz dominated switch everything defense all of last year and all of this year too. The only thing that really works is trapping Don.

Do points in the second half count for more or something? If you scored 75 in both halves is that somehow better than scoring 200 in the first and 0 in the second? Of course not. Your score over 4 quarters is your score over 4 quarters. If it’s elite then it’s elite. What’s makes me say it say it’s elite is that it’s elite over six full games. So let me ask you the same question. What about having an elite offense over 6 full games does not speak “elite offense” to you? If Don coasted the first half, saved energy for later in the game, and we produced the same exact offensive output (which is elite) there’s no difference.

You’re also taking one half of basketball where we had several wide open shots if you watch it again btw. The guy who ran out of gas was also on a bum ankle and you can’t take away Conley like it’s an afterthought.

The Jazz dominated switch everything defense all of last year and all of this year too. The only thing that really works is trapping Don.
You got it right. Points count for 4 quarters. So do pints only in the first half count for more or something? Elite offense in the first half + **** offense in the second does not account for an elite offense overall. Especially if you can't generate elite offense consistently against playoff team for 4 whole quarters or in moments that matter, you will still lose.

We can beat some bad teams with only 2 or 3 quarters of "elite offense" which is what we've been doing, but if you do that against a really good team in the playoffs then you can kiss your big lead and championship dream goodbye.

And YES, Conley is an afterthought as far as playoffs is concerned. How much you can trust a guy who's turning 35 and has won nothing in his career? Most athletes don't do **** at age 34/35 and is waiting to collect his retirement pay. Like I said, when Donovan is trapped or simply ran out of gas, can we just give the ball to Conley and ask him to "go give me a bucket"? How can you trust him not to get hurt in the playoffs or put up 2/11 or 3/12 typa performances again?

You got it right. Points count for 4 quarters. So do pints only in the first half count for more or something? Elite offense in the first half + **** offense in the second does not account for an elite offense overall. Especially if you can't generate elite offense consistently against playoff team for 4 whole quarters or in moments that matter, you will still lose.

We can beat some bad teams with only 2 or 3 quarters of "elite offense" which is what we've been doing, but if you do that against a really good team in the playoffs then you can kiss your big lead and championship dream goodbye.

And YES, Conley is an afterthought as far as playoffs is concerned. How much you can trust a guy who's turning 35 and has won nothing in his career? Most athletes don't do **** at age 34/35 and is waiting to collect his retirement pay. Like I said, when Donovan is trapped or simply ran out of gas, can we just give the ball to Conley and ask him to "go give me a bucket"? How can you trust him not to get hurt in the playoffs or put up 2/11 or 3/12 typa performances again?

The points count exactly the same in the first half. That's exactly my point. Thank you for repeating that and showing how ridiculous this is. I don't actually believe you are below kindergarten education level, so there's point to carrying on this semantics argument debate. When I say elite overall offense, you know exactly what I mean. I mean the total points at the end of the game. Really, I'm talking about the entirety of a series and the last two seasons as a whole where we've dominated switching defenses. I don't base my opinion on the basis of one half. Especially one half where the argument is "Don runs out of gas" when he was also playing on one ankle. It would be the equivalent of saying LAC's offense couldn't score against us because they struggled in the first half. It makes no difference to me if the points are scored in the first or the second half. They count the same.

Conley has gotten further then anyone else on this team. He's actually gotten past the second round and won a playoff game with a broken face. These arguments are so stupid and don't actually mean anything. Don and Rudy haven't accomplished **** in the playoffs either. Conley isn't an afterthought. What is an afterthought is the 14th and 15th guys that people cry about when they don't play. He's much better than the alternatives. Ironically, I think the argument behind saying that Conley's injury wasn't important is that we were already elite offensively without him and he would have main the defense worse. Without him, we were able to produce elite offense despite Mitchell playing on a bad wheel.

At the end of the day, it's just an objective fact that the Jazz had an elite offense during that series. It's a perfect example of how good the Jazz are at scoring against switching defense. As long as Don is available to play and we have shooters around him, the Jazz are going to score at a very high level. Whether they win or not depends on how horrific their defense is.

The points count exactly the same in the first half. That's exactly my point. Thank you for repeating that and showing how ridiculous this is. I don't actually believe you are below kindergarten education level, so there's point to carrying on this semantics argument debate. When I say elite overall offense, you know exactly what I mean. I mean the total points at the end of the game. Really, I'm talking about the entirety of a series and the last two seasons as a whole where we've dominated switching defenses. I don't base my opinion on the basis of one half. Especially one half where the argument is "Don runs out of gas" when he was also playing on one ankle. It would be the equivalent of saying LAC's offense couldn't score against us because they struggled in the first half. It makes no difference to me if the points are scored in the first or the second half. They count the same.

Conley has gotten further then anyone else on this team. He's actually gotten past the second round and won a playoff game with a broken face. These arguments are so stupid and don't actually mean anything. Don and Rudy haven't accomplished **** in the playoffs either. Conley isn't an afterthought. What is an afterthought is the 14th and 15th guys that people cry about when they don't play. He's much better than the alternatives. Ironically, I think the argument behind saying that Conley's injury wasn't important is that we were already elite offensively without him and he would have main the defense worse. Without him, we were able to produce elite offense despite Mitchell playing on a bad wheel.

At the end of the day, it's just an objective fact that the Jazz had an elite offense during that series. It's a perfect example of how good the Jazz are at scoring against switching defense. As long as Don is available to play and we have shooters around him, the Jazz are going to score at a very high level. Whether they win or not depends on how horrific their defense is.
Again, dominating switching defenses in 99% of the games or, "as a whole" isn't good enough. just like playing elite offense for 2-3 quarters isn't good enough. We'll still get eliminated out of the playoffs if we choke offensively in the 4th quarter or in that 1% of the games where it actually matters.

We led the league for "the entirety" of the regular season last year. Sure. What good does that do? A couple of bad games or even a couple of bad quarters you are out of the picture.

You don't give up a 20 point lead by only playing bad defense. Just like you don't build a 20 point lead by only playing good offense. You need to allow the opponent to score AND fail to score enough points yourself in order to squander a 20 point lead. If you still don't get it I'm not sure what else to tell you

Again, dominating switching defenses in 99% of the games or, "as a whole" isn't good enough. just like playing elite offense for 2-3 quarters isn't good enough. We'll still get eliminated out of the playoffs if we choke offensively in the 4th quarter or in that 1% of the games where it actually matters.

We led the league for "the entirety" of the regular season last year. Sure. What good does that do? A couple of bad games or even a couple of bad quarters you are out of the picture.

You don't give up a 20 point lead by only playing bad defense. Just like you don't build a 20 point lead by only playing good offense. You need to allow the opponent to score AND fail to score enough points yourself in order to squander a 20 point lead. If you still don't get it I'm not sure what else to tell you

Do you not recognize that wins are determined by both point totals? Over the last two years the Jazz have had the best offense in the league, both playoffs and regular. Playoffs it's by a mile. They didn't lose because of offense, they lost because of defense. The Jazz have also choked offensively because teams change their defense. Look tonight. The Clippers switched everything with Don throughout most of the game. Don absolutely obliterated the defense. You know what they did later? They started trapping and blitzing more. Not the same defense. So even if we live in a world where defense doesn't exist, and points don't count the same amount in the 4th quarter, the Jazz didn't even fail to score because of switching defense. This was where this started, and it happened again tonight.

Do you not recognize that wins are determined by both point totals? Over the last two years the Jazz have had the best offense in the league, both playoffs and regular. Playoffs it's by a mile. They didn't lose because of offense, they lost because of defense. The Jazz have also choked offensively because teams change their defense. Look tonight. The Clippers switched everything with Don throughout most of the game. Don absolutely obliterated the defense. You know what they did later? They started trapping and blitzing more. Not the same defense. So even if we live in a world where defense doesn't exist, and points don't count the same amount in the 4th quarter, the Jazz didn't even fail to score because of switching defense. This was where this started, and it happened again tonight.
you can look up all the numbers you want but playoffs games are not won by numbers. It's won by execution.

Like the Jazz also has elite rebounding number the last couple of seasons but if you watch enough Jazz games you know that they could never secure defensive rebounds in moments that matters.

I agree that the Jazz has more glaring weaknesses in their defense, but like I said, we wouldn't have built that 20 point lead in the first place by only playing good offense. You need to play good defense as well in order to do that. Points count the same amount for all 4 quarters, right? Why don't your praise our defense early in the game?

I never said our defense doesn't have problem. But if we could've kept scoring at a high level for the "entirety" of the game, Clippers would've never have had erased that 20 point lead. And you know that didn't happen tonight

you can look up all the numbers you want but playoffs games are not won by numbers. It's won by execution.

Like the Jazz also has elite rebounding number the last couple of seasons but if you watch enough Jazz games you know that they could never secure defensive rebounds in moments that matters.

I agree that the Jazz has more glaring weaknesses in their defense, but like I said, we wouldn't have built that 20 point lead in the first place by only playing good offense. You need to play good defense as well in order to do that. Points count the same amount for all 4 quarters, right?

I never said our defense doesn't have problem. But if we could've kept scoring at a high level for the "entirety" of the game, Clippers would've never have had erased that 20 point lead. And you know that didn't happen tonight

If the Jazz didn't play horrific defense, they wouldn't have blown the lead either. And once again, even if you blame the Jazz offense, it's is not due to switching defense. The defense they failed to score against wasn't the same switch everything defense that was played in the first 3 quarters. It wasn't because they ran out of gas either. Only Locke is shameless enough to stoop to those levels. I'm legitimately at a loss for words at this point. Games are literally won and lost by the numbers. You cannot win if the other team has more points than you and the points count the same in all 4 quarters. When it comes to things we should be doing, I think it's more reasonable to look at a historically awful defense, and not looking to improve more upon what is already the top offense in the league. If the Jazz played the best offense in the league, but did it perfectly consistently over 4 quarters, they still would have lost because....let's say it again. The points count the same in all 4 quarters and they allowed more points to other team. Maybe if we lose 180 to 195 you'll start to see the big picture, until then...I've got nothing.

Last edited: