What's new

'05-'06 to '06-07

franklin

What a difference a year can make. Back in 2005, Jazz were sitting on an up-and-coming rookie star who wasn't ready to take the reigns, and not much help outside of Okur's great year and declining Harpring and Kirelinko. Boozer was injured just about the entire year. Greg Ostertag was riding the pine with his bloated contract not helping things much either. Milt and McCloud were the starters/backups, depending on Jerry's mood.

Fast forward one year to 2006-2007. Jazz make a huge signing in Derek Fisher, which proves to pay off. Williams is ready to go and Boozer plays 74 games. Harpring continues his decline, and AK, although he sees 70 starts in 70 games, pulls a famous disappearing act. The Jazz win 51 games and make a WCF appearance.

What a difference in one year and one signing. This year the Jazz remind me of the 2005 team. One big signing in the off season or one marque trade before the deadline is all it will take to put this team right back in the hunt. We need shooting and defense from the 2, something an undersized Fisher brought on one end only (an unstellar .308 3 pt %).

Jazz made their move in the offseason and had to see how it would pan out. They didn't know what they needed then, or how Bell and CJ would play, but they sure know now. The foundation is set. Throw in a solid shooting guard and this team quickly becomes formidable. If the Jazz could pull off 51 wins with a 2nd year point guard then what do you think they can do with a veteran stud?

Uptimism on!

My wish list for free agents this offseason:

1- Kendrick Perkins
2- Tyson Chandler
3- Tayshaun Prince
4- Caron Butler

I think its essential that we dump Okur immediately so that one of these wishes come true. We'll have over 30 million coming off the books if we can.

I don't see the similarities. The difference between 05/06 and 06/07 were health and Deron. The Jazz aren't suffering major injuries this year, and no one is primed for a Deron-esque jump next season.

I don't see the similarities. The difference between 05/06 and 06/07 were health and Deron. The Jazz aren't suffering major injuries this year, and no one is primed for a Deron-esque jump next season.

Hayward? Maybe even CJ.. I think he finally is getting it.

My wish list for free agents this offseason:

1- Kendrick Perkins
2- Tyson Chandler
3- Tayshaun Prince
4- Caron Butler

I think its essential that we dump Okur immediately so that one of these wishes come true. We'll have over 30 million coming off the books if we can.

This. If Perkins regains his form, we need to sign him. Pronto.

I'd add we not only need to dump Okur but dumping Jefferson would also tickle my fancy, though we could see a different, less dumb, player next year.

The Jazz have 8 players under contract for a total of about $59mil next season. This season's cap is $58mil. Memo is slated to make about $11mil next year.

Even if Memo is dropped, the Jazz would have less than $10mil of cap space (and no MLE, if they go that route). If the Jazz don't pick up CJ's option, they'd have $13mil or so to spend (and have only 7 other players under contract). The Jazz will not be players in free agency unless someone else is dropped (Big Al, Sap, Raja).

Maybe they'll stay just over the cap, but far enough below the LT to use the MLE on someone (?). This team will have loads of opportunities to overhaul the roster AFTER next offseason, but probably not before.

They'll have about $43mm in salary going into '12-'13, $40 if they don't pick up Hayward's option. They'll most likely add a couple players in the offseason, so I'd give them less room than the $43.

I think Okur is done as well...I think any day now a press conference is going to be called.

I think Okur is done as well...I think any day now a press conference is going to be called.

I agree, but KOC didn't sound this way tonight.

If he is washed up then the question becomes about insurance money and the CBA. I know teams can get an injured player exemption when they're really low on the bench, but don't know how an injury retirement works. The rights to Harpring had to be traded for a TPE.

We need shooting and defense from the 2, something an undersized Fisher brought on one end only (an unstellar .308 3 pt %).

And yet, Fisher's 3pt % has always been high in Jackson's and whoever else's system in Golden State, but when he comes to Utah, it plummets. Gee.. what a coincidence.

I agree, but KOC didn't sound this way tonight.

If he is washed up then the question becomes about insurance money and the CBA. I know teams can get an injured player exemption when they're really low on the bench, but don't know how an injury retirement works. The rights to Harpring had to be traded for a TPE.

Since when does KOC show his cards?