What's new

1. Jefferson's Not Enough To Revive Jazz

mellow

Sweet, the Jazz are the #1 story on ESPN's Daily Dime.

https://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-110127/daily-dime

Hollinger said:
Let's cut right to the chase: Jefferson doesn't fit. Not with this motion offense, not with equally limited defensive big men like Paul Millsap and Mehmet Okur surrounding him, and not with a roster that is otherwise much more effective in transition.

Hollinger said:
"The Jazz were hoping they'd get the All-Star-caliber big man that would both complement Williams and convince him to stick around.

Instead they got … decent. And, it appears, descent."

Big Al is great player we need wing players bell vs spurs 0 points in 34min. We need RIP KOC get it done

The irony of Hollinger's analysis is Al looked his best in a motion offense since the start of the season last night. So the numbers back up what we already know: Al had a lot of trouble figuring out how our offense works early on. He's coming along in that department even if passing is more of a work in progress.

Defensively, I don't blame our bigs so much as the whole team concept is lacking. Last I checked, Chicago was running Boozer and Thomas/Asik out there on the front line. That's no Great Wall of China and Chicago has the BEST defense in the league. And last night, the announcers were commenting on how well the Spurs would double the post when mismatches turned up. They were right. Something is not getting communicated with us. Surprising when you think of all the film work we do.

The irony of Hollinger's analysis is Al looked his best in a motion offense since the start of the season last night. So the numbers back up what we already know: Al had a lot of trouble figuring out how our offense works early on. He's coming along in that department even if passing is more of a work in progress.

Defensively, I don't blame our bigs so much as the whole team concept is lacking. Last I checked, Chicago was running Boozer and Thomas/Asik out there on the front line. That's no Great Wall of China and Chicago has the BEST defense in the league. And last night, the announcers were commenting on how well the Spurs would double the post when mismatches turned up. They were right. Something is not getting communicated with us. Surprising when you think of all the film work we do.

Bu-dum ching!

But seriously, I think the Jazz have **** coaching when it comes to defense. We're talking about a team that preaches playing defense with their hands and counts deflections as an important stat (which is complete trash).

But it also doesn't help that Jefferson is clueless in PNR defense. You need to have legs and brains and he doesn't have either.

the 2000 version of Shaq couldn't score 20 points for us. When the defense doesn't need to guard 2 of our 5 players, it makes scoring in the paint all the more difficult. Right now I would kill for someone like Rick Fox, Jason Kapono, or Calbert Cheney over Raja and Andrei.

Last I checked Bozzer was a cheerleader.

Boozer's spent most of this year in a suit behind the Bulls bench.

When he hasn't been there, he's been hittin Michelle Money.

Back to the OP...

Hollinger is being retarded. Jazz overhauled their core out of necessity. If Boozer was staying and out of focus then the FO could have worked on adding pieces. They didn't know what they'd need with the new Jefferson look. We all thought they'd get better defensively and open up the shooters with Big Al's great low post game. So why not add a defensive presence in Raja Bell and worry about if he can still shoot great later? After all, he should be wide open and getting easier looks in an AJ set up. Let's lock down defense was the idea. They dropped Korver and picked up Raja. Hell, CJ's defense can be better than Korvers, so you've got a guy in between the shooting and defensive liability there too.

Obviously Raja isn't working out. As much as Hollinger wants to get you rolling--he probably reads Jazzfanz and now knows exactly what will push fans buttons--this is not about the shortcomings of Al Jefferson. It's about a team that overhauled the foundation just 45 games ago and needs to add bricks and mortar. Up to the trade deadline and this coming offseason will give KOC the opportunity to add to what everyone can see the Jazz needing.

There's no way Utah could know what would work well in an AJ & D-Will era. Pull those ****ing bootstraps up people, and give this team a chance. It's been one half of one season.

Hollinger is a Jazz-hating Dbag. Always has been. His favorite NBA figures are Chris Paul, LeBron James, and Phil Jackson. Enough said.

Big Al was great last night. My only complaint with Al is sometimes when he gets the ball in the post, the offense stops. But that's not even entirely his fault. Why don't we send cutters through the lane like we did when Malone would work in the paint? I don't really get it. Al is not a great passer, but he is also not bad. Everyone just stands there when he gets the ball. I think with some movement off the ball Al could make nice improvements in that area of his game.

Bottom line, this team needs a shooter. Richard Jefferson wandered free last night and doubled on any good matchup we had just to let AK kill us with his jumper. With AL and Millsap playing in the paint together, there is no room for Andrei which is turning him into a jump shooter, which is awful. He plays the best at the 4 because he is closer to the basket and it is usually less congested. The problem is, we don't need him at the 4. AK is talented, but we need to move him for a piece that can keep defenses honest. Especially while Raja is sucking, Deron has ABSOLUTELY NO ONE to pass the ball to when he collapses defenses. I am all for Richard Hamilton. Rip would average 15-20 a night in our offense. He would get Deron 4-5 EASY assists a night. He would have open 15 foot jump shots everywhere, and that is where he is money. He is also a solid defender. I recognize he is old, but he can still play. He proved that by killing us when they almost beat us at ESA last month. The guy is a knock down shooter, something the Jazz NEED. AK (and Raja for that matter) does not space the floor, and until we have people that do, things will continue to be difficult for Deron and Al to be effective. We need to make a move.

Murphy and Morrows/Sasha V for Ak adds shooters. Millsap and Hayward for Granger/Mcroberts adds shooters. Utah needs to open up the Middle for Dwill and Big Al. Murhpy, Granger and Bell would do that for us. Then when the Play offs came We would need Elson, Memo, Fez to step it up big for us. And it sets the team up great for the future. Dwill Granger Jefferson. Great core an a big 3

Murphy and Morrows/Sasha V for Ak adds shooters. Millsap and Hayward for Granger/Mcroberts adds shooters. Utah needs to open up the Middle for Dwill and Big Al. Murhpy, Granger and Bell would do that for us. Then when the Play offs came We would need Elson, Memo, Fez to step it up big for us. And it sets the team up great for the future. Dwill Granger Jefferson. Great core an a big 3

How the heck did you get so infatuated with Troy Murphy?

Hollinger is a Jazz-hating Dbag. Always has been. His favorite NBA figures are Chris Paul, LeBron James, and Phil Jackson. Enough said.

You ought to read what Atlanta Hawks fans think of him. They claim he doesn't know **** about the Hawks but spouts off stupid stuff that makes absolutely no sense anyway.

Big Al was great last night. My only complaint with Al is sometimes when he gets the ball in the post, the offense stops. But that's not even entirely his fault. Why don't we send cutters through the lane like we did when Malone would work in the paint? I don't really get it. Al is not a great passer, but he is also not bad. Everyone just stands there when he gets the ball. I think with some movement off the ball Al could make nice improvements in that area of his game.

Bottom line, this team needs a shooter. Richard Jefferson wandered free last night and doubled on any good matchup we had just to let AK kill us with his jumper. With AL and Millsap playing in the paint together, there is no room for Andrei which is turning him into a jump shooter, which is awful. He plays the best at the 4 because he is closer to the basket and it is usually less congested. The problem is, we don't need him at the 4. AK is talented, but we need to move him for a piece that can keep defenses honest. Especially while Raja is sucking, Deron has ABSOLUTELY NO ONE to pass the ball to when he collapses defenses. I am all for Richard Hamilton. Rip would average 15-20 a night in our offense. He would get Deron 4-5 EASY assists a night. He would have open 15 foot jump shots everywhere, and that is where he is money. He is also a solid defender. I recognize he is old, but he can still play. He proved that by killing us when they almost beat us at ESA last month. The guy is a knock down shooter, something the Jazz NEED. AK (and Raja for that matter) does not space the floor, and until we have people that do, things will continue to be difficult for Deron and Al to be effective. We need to make a move.

Great post.

The issue with the offense stopping might not have anything to do with AJ. There's not really a lot you can do with a low post iso without clogging up and screwing the post player. You can run an off side UCLA cut, but that's it and it's really only one shot. They're supposed to stand around and respond to the defense. If they double AJ (someone should be cheating so it's easier to read) then someone should get open. If they don't double then AJ works his magic for a high % shot and no movement is necessary.

For example, there was a post up play in the 2nd quarter last night where Al had a man low and one-on-one. Millsap kept pushing his guy into the paint for who the hell knows why. Meanwhile, AJ was waiting for Sap to clear out so he could make a move. You lose a lot of mobility and shot selection when you can't turn into the pain in front of the bucket.

The misfit frontcourt could have larger implications, too, both in the short term and the long term. In the immediate future, one has to wonder if the Jazz will be willing to pay $15 million in luxury tax for a team that looks to be first-round cannon fodder in the Western Conference playoffs. Even Utah's current record greatly overstates its case -- the Jazz have outscored their opposition by a grand total of 16 points on the season, which normally would leave a team at or near .500.

As a result, one has to think the Jazz will be tempted to offload Andrei Kirilenko's expiring $17 million deal and take back a less onerous deal. The Jazz are more than capable of losing in the first round of the playoffs without his help, and whatever salary they can cut would be doubled. For one oft-mentioned example, sending Kirilenko to the Nyets for Troy Murphy's expiring deal, and including a couple of filler contracts on each side to make it kosher, could save the Jazz more than $6 million in salary and luxury tax.

Right, after thay have paid him MAX money for 6 years and killed any hope of a championship with Deron.

It is sad to think WHAT IF... the jazz didnt have AK's massive contract during these last 3-5 years. What would have happened, how far we would have gotten, etc. But bottom line is, KOC is an idiot if he doesnt trade AK for ANYTHING.. I am calling it that the jazz dont make any mid season trades, and we end up 8th seed one and done in the playoffs.

you hit the nail on the head.

Pun intended.

2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg