What's new

12 year old gay Mormon at church

Interesting. Not sure what the parents expected to happen? They know the Morman church's teaching on homosexuality.

What on earth are Heavenly parents? Never heard of that.

Interesting. Not sure what the parents expected to happen? They know the Morman church's teaching on homosexuality.

What on earth are Heavenly parents? Never heard of that.

It's God and his wife.

I'm surprised they turned off her mic and asked her to sit down. I've heard many more questionable things being said from the pulpit and never once seen someone asked to sit down.

That being said, the only explanation to me is that they felt she was proactively trying to cause problems. It does seem odd that someone just happened to be recording it.

I didn't get all way through her testimony. Seemed like she was being very repetitive. Maybe that's standard in testimonies? Anyway, I would have been tempted to tell her to move it along and wrap it up.

I didn't get all way through her testimony. Seemed like she was being very repetitive. Maybe that's standard in testimonies? Anyway, I would have been tempted to tell her to move it along and wrap it up.

It usually is. 1st Sunday of the week was something I always loathed.

who was recording it? What did she or her parents really expect? While I'd probably let her finish it I don't blame the leadership cutting her off. The church's stance on this issue is pretty clear. Chances are it won't change until the church sees major financial difficulty or faces federal retribution (which could be argued to be federal overreach).

It'll be interesting to see how the church reacts in the coming decade or two. They're seeing much slower church growth in even central and South American countries. Traditionally, these have acted as convert gold mines to help prop up sluggish growth throughout North America and Europe.

However, millennials are leaving in droves. Meaning the church potentially could face diminishing numbers in the future as their retention for young members decreases.

Does the church need to change its views/practices on a few issues (women and the priesthood? Gay marriage) or just change its tone on These issues? Meaning, they maintain their same stances but are less vocal and harash in declaring them (think the worldwide conference talk declaring gay marriages to be counterfeit marriages).

Or does the church need to do something else? Maybe add more diversity to leadership positions, change church sessions to be shorter, etc?

Or is there anything the church can do? Historically speaking, industrialized countries become less religious over time. Maybe it's finally just catching up to the United States, central, and South America?

But how else can we get up and tell everyone how much better we are than the rest without looking like a douche?

They always have to me.

In a ward I was in out in the greater Memphis area has this woman that would get up every month and drone on about how thankful she was for the vibrant colors of the day, the sounds of the birds in the morning, the air in her lungs, that she had food, her hair, her pets...

I always walked out on her. So tedious. I've never liked it lol.

who was recording it? What did she or her parents really expect? While I'd probably let her finish it I don't blame the leadership cutting her off. The church's stance on this issue is pretty clear. Chances are it won't change until the church sees major financial difficulty or faces federal retribution (which could be argued to be federal overreach).

It'll be interesting to see how the church reacts in the coming decade or two. They're seeing much slower church growth in even central and South American countries. While millennials are leaving in droves. Does the church need to change its views/practices on a few issues (women and the priesthood? Gay marriage) or just change its tone of These issues? Or does the church need to do something else? Maybe add more diversity to leadership positions, change church sessions to be shorter, etc?

Or is there anything the church can do? Historically speaking, industrialized countries become less religious over time. Maybe it's finally just catching up to the United States, central, and South America?

Actually looked at a post of yours and I was pleasantly surprised. Refreshing.

I absolutely think that the Church needs a vastly more diversified leadership. Far more Islanders and Latinos particularly. This should already have been the case IMO. I wanted the last two apostles chosen to be anything other than Caucasian. At least one isn't American I guess.

I think they can certainly slow the flow but it will always be a problem.

Another thing they could do IMO is to remove the overly bland image they present of the Lord and by extension themselves. You see a little bit of this on the recent "I am a Mormon" videos that have been released. They never talk about His anger, humor, sarcasm... He cannot be perfect without these attributes IMO. The church is becoming one big stick in the mud. There is no joy in it...

They're seeing much slower church growth in even central and South American countries. Traditionally, these have acted as convert gold mines to help prop up sluggish growth throughout North America and Europe.

However, millennials are leaving in droves. Meaning the church potentially could face diminishing numbers in the future as their retention for young members decreases.

Does the church need to change its views/practices on a few issues (women and the priesthood? Gay marriage) or just change its tone on These issues? Meaning, they maintain their same stances but are less vocal and harash in declaring them (think the worldwide conference talk declaring gay marriages to be counterfeit marriages).

Or does the church need to do something else? Maybe add more diversity to leadership positions, change church sessions to be shorter, etc?

Based on these projections Islam will overtake Christianity as most dominant religion by 2070. Surprisingly % of Christians suppose to be growing as well. Not sure how they are doing those projections and where these new religious people are converting from - Buddhaism? Paganism? I highly doubt with science and technology progressing we would have more religious people in the future - I would expect the opposite ( except in Islam).
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/29863...argest-religion-by-2070-new-research-reveals/

Based on these projections Islam will overtake Christianity as most dominant religion by 2070. Surprisingly % of Christians suppose to be growing as well. Not sure how they are doing those projections and where these new religious people are converting from - Buddhaism? Paganism? I highly doubt with science and technology progressing we would have more religious people in the future - I would expect the opposite ( except in Islam).
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/29863...argest-religion-by-2070-new-research-reveals/

I fully expect that within 70 years, most Muslims in the West, and big chunk of them in the Muslim world, will be only "culturally Muslim".

I fully expect that within 70 years, most Muslims in the West, and big chunk of them in the Muslim world, will be only "culturally Muslim".

Much like how the majority of Christians in the west are only "culturally Christian". I think it's the natural progression in a culture.

What makes you think so?

Pressure created by information proliferation from the rest of the world. Unlike N. Korea, the Muslim world is not isolated from the larger humanity.

Nearly every one wants the same thing; a good life from oneself and one's family and community. Religious extremism cannot really provide that, in comparison to available alternatives.

In fact, if it wasn't for a series of unfortunate events over the last century, they would've already reached the aforementioned point.