What's new

150% energy return on nuclear fusion reaction breakthrough.

Jaymz

So yeah, pretty important stuff going on here. Didn’t see a thread many calling out the turning point of civilization. Discuss here.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

So yeah, pretty important stuff going on here. Didn’t see a thread many calling out the turning point of civilization. Discuss here.

This really might be the "it" moment of our lifetime.

This really might be the "it" moment of our lifetime.
Not while we're alive.

The problem (from what I read) is that the laser took 100 times more energy to charge than was used to create the reaction. We're still a long was away.

Not while we're alive.

The problem (from what I read) is that the laser took 100 times more energy to charge than was used to create the reaction. We're still a long was away.
Nope -
Copypasta:

One of the key ones is that fusion is difficult to kick-start, requiring high temperatures comparable to those in the sun, which create an unusual state of matter known as plasma. These temperatures are achieved by extremely powerful lasers, which typically consume more energy that the fusion generates. This is the crux of NIF’s announcement: For the first time, they produced 50 percent more energy in a fusion experiment than was consumed by the lasers powering it.

What does this mean for the role of fusion in our future energy supply? NIF’s discovery is undoubtedly significant, but much work remains. The amount of energy generated is still tiny, about 0.9 kilowatt-hours (kWh) from around 0.6 kWh input. In comparison, an average American home uses about 900 kWh per month.