What's new

1st thing you would do?

gregbroncs

I am curious because there are a lot of disgruntled fans right now. If you were made GM what is the 1st thing you would do and why?

1-Fire Sydney Lowe. Bring in Phil Johnson as an assistant. I wasn't crazy about Corbin and I'm still not; but he's the coach for now. But clearly, he desparately needs a superior basketball mind to challenge him
2-Trade either Jefferson or Millsap and start Favors. I'm convinced Jefferson/Millsap is now even WORSE than Boozer/Okur when it comes to defending the paint while bringing about 75% of the offense that they brought
3-Bring Foye off the bench for about 12-15mpg. I have every expectation that he'll fail in this spot; but he is not a starting NBA Guard. Not my fault. I didn't sign him.
4-Start Burks at the 2. Tell him he gets a 16 minute base (8 in the first and 8 in the third) anything more than that is up to him and what he accomplishes.

1-Fire Sydney Lowe. Bring in Phil Johnson as an assistant. I wasn't crazy about Corbin and I'm still not; but he's the coach for now. But clearly, he desparately needs a superior basketball mind to challenge him
2-Trade either Jefferson or Millsap and start Favors. I'm convinced Jefferson/Millsap is now even WORSE than Boozer/Okur when it comes to defending the paint while bringing about 75% of the offense that they brought
3-Bring Foye off the bench for about 12-15mpg. I have every expectation that he'll fail in this spot; but he is not a starting NBA Guard. Not my fault. I didn't sign him.
4-Start Burks at the 2. Tell him he gets a 16 minute base (8 in the first and 8 in the third) anything more than that is up to him and what he accomplishes.
#1 Isn't the choice of assistant coaches usually up to the coach? So as the GM this one does not seem to be within your power.

Most of these are coaches decisions not the GM. Trading Millsap or Jefferson is the only one strictly up to the GM.

Trade Sap, Kanter and Favors can give us what we will lose with him, try my damndest to get a functional 2 gaurd for him. Basically someone like Foye who isnt 6'2".

1. Trade Jefferson, even if for nothing in return. [please note this is not me saying he's worthless or that he's terrible, just that I think that's what would be best for the team]
2. Explore possibility of moving Foye. No biggie if it doesn't happen.
3. Corbin has to go. As soon as I felt I had a coach lined up I'd make the move. I'd inquire about Phil Johnson's availability. With money saved from moving Jefferson (if he can be dealt to a team with an exception or under the cap), I'd make a substantial offer to Phil Jackson, even if it'd be doubtful he'd accept, I'd make a big enough offer that he'd at least have to think about it. I've always thought Karl Malone would make a terrible coach. I'd bring him in on a quasi interim status if nothing else works out.
4. Everybody but Favors and Kanter would be available, but moves would be unlikely.
5. I'm finally on the Rondo bandwagon. If any combo of Jefferson/Burks/Millsap/GSpick/draft picks get him, I make a move.

We have a lot of free agents and decisions for this offseason but we still have no idea what we have in our young guys. How do we formulate an off-season plan (where we sign several guys to multi-year deals) when we are scompletely ignorant of the capabilities, or lack thereof, of our young guys and the direction we're headed?

Lots of hardcore winning here.

I liked most of your points. Just wanted a GM perspective.

Okay, then fire Corbin. Hire Matt Harpring to run a *****ing offense. :)

Milsap or Jefferson? Trade them both. Get 3 bigs in return, preferably Tyler Zeller, Jason Thompson, and Jason Maxiel.

In February trade Foye to a playoff contender for a future #1 draft pick.

In February trade Watson or Tinsley to a playoff contender for a future 2nd Round draft pick.

Change all Saturday night games to dollar beer night.

Hire Karl Malone to any job in the organization, commentator, towel boy, assistant GM. Just hire him.

Hire Gordon Chiesa as VP of PR.

Revamp my draft evaluation model & methods.

Hire somebody who understands the advance metrics, send them to the sloan conference.

Find a bunch of Jerry Sloan, Larry Miller, Stockton and Malone quotes about competing, working hard, loving the game, appreciating the fans and such--paint them in the locker rooms, hall ways, bathrooms, practise facilities etc.

From a coaching standpoint, Corbin has already implemented many of my offensive recommendations. As a GM, TANKVILLE!

Trade Al for anything besides bad contracts that extend past this season.

If I can't trade Al, tell him to stay home the rest of the year.

I would've done this after the all star break last year.

Start by trading Millsap. I believe he has the most trade value between he and Jefferson. Then trade Foye, and not because I dont like him but this way Burks will get minutes. This would force Corbin to play the young guys more and the Jazz can evaluate who to give extensions to. I am sick of mediocricy and dont mind the basement if we can make it to the attic a couple years later!

Fire Corbin. It's time.

We need a real coach. There are a lot of good coaches out there. Get it done. Look at what Tibs and Vogel are doing with their talent depleted teams. We could have Stockton and Malone in their primes and we'd still be struggling the way our offense and defense are structured and PT managed. Sorry, but Corbin clearly isn't ready. It's obvious. Just as the league found out about Adrian Dantley when an injury riddled Jazz team dumped his Nuggets, we have (slowly) found out that Corbin clearly isn't ready. He's not good!!! Sorry!

Second? Gotta move Millsap or Jefferson. I prefer Jefferson as he'll be too expensive for us to retain and is a lazy boozer sack on defense. Gotta get rid of this log jam and give Favors SERIOUS minutes (he's the franchise) and Kanter minutes to finally develop. It's time. Favors is the franchise and Kanter needs PT. Can't keep rolling with this log jam. It's embarrassing that we're still dealing with this issue. A year ago we all knew that Favors needed serious PT. Yet... We're STILL dealing with this BS. Is there another coach in this entire league who wouldn't be giving Favors 30+ minutes?

Third? Gotta fix the 1/2/3 position. Gotta define Marvin's role. If he can post up then do it. Gotta define Hayward's role. Is he Manu (who can create)? Is he Harpring (come off screens and shoot elbow jumpers)? Is he CJ (chill out on the 3 point line and wait for kickouts)? Gotta decide the 2nd PG. Can't keep moving between Foye, Watson, and Tinsley. Finally, gotta start playing the #12 draft pick or trade someone away. Burks needs PT.

Fire Corbin. It's time.

We need a real coach. There are a lot of good coaches out there. Get it done. Look at what Tibs and Vogel are doing with their talent depleted teams.

Second? Gotta move Millsap or Jefferson. I prefer Jefferson as he'll be too expensive for us to retain. Gotta get rid of this log jam and give Favors SERIOUS minutes (he's the franchise) and Kanter minutes to finally develop.

Third? Gotta fix the 1/2/3 position. Gotta define Marvin's role. If he can post up then do it. Gotta define Hayward's role. Is he Manu (who can create)? Is he Harpring (come off screens and shoot elbow jumpers)? Is he CJ (chill out on the 3 point line and wait for kickouts)? Gotta decide the 2nd PG. Can't keep moving between Foye, Watson, and Tinsley. Finally, gotta start playing the #12 draft pick or trade someone away. Burks needs PT.

dont they have basically the same record as the Jazz, who are also a talent depleted team?

dont they have basically the same record as the Jazz, who are also a talent depleted team?

Yep. We're so talent depleted. All our lotto picks from the past 4 years are on our bench. Two of them are top 3 and yet are struggling to get off the bench and play 20 mins per game.

1) I would fire Corbin and hire someone outside the Sloan coaching tree. This organization needs some fresh perspective.

2) Fire Sale... Everyone not on a rookie contract would be on the trading block. (I would look at taking back rooks and draft picks.)

We might suck for a year or two, but the youth would play and we would really grow internally.

I didn't answer the why... 1) We need a different approach. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

2) We need to spend some time in the basement in order to draft a potential superstar... that is the OKC model. We could also hope that one of the Burks/Kanter/Favors kids does become a legitimate NBA superstar.

GM:

-Trade Millsap in a package if it brings back good value, if we can't get a good deal for Millsap move Al for whatever
-Explore PG situation, but only for a really good option

Coach:

-Start Mo/Hayward/Marvin/Jefferson/Favors
-Tinsley is the back-up not Watson
-Foye only plays 15 minutes unless hot or we need 3 pointers
-Burks plays consistently
-Rarely use a combo of Jefferson/Millsap and if we flat out need best talent on the floor late in games I go with the big 3
-No full line changes, there will almost always be a mix of starters and bench players

1- Fire Corbin. Look into Brian Shaw or Patrick Ewing. Budenholzer is a real possibility.

2a- Trade Jefferson to Toronto for Bargnani(for one i think he fit next to Favors till Kanter is ready or be decent off the bench if Kanter is ready, if not either hes tradable)
2b-Trade Millsap to Orlando for Redick and Big Baby. Or to Philadelphia with Bell for Thaddeus Young.

3a- Start Favors.
3b- Start Burks

4- Try to sign Bledsoe this offseason.