What's new

2010-2011 Western Conference rankings

Marder

Just did my rankings for the western conference this year regarding the playoffs. Lets discuss...

1. Los Angeles Lakers-The most complete team in the west. Everyone who is necessary for them is back along with Phil Jackson aka Jerry Sloan's nemesis XD. Only thing I worry is if they're going to rest Kobe a lot so he's healthy for the playoffs.

2. Utah Jazz-Compensating for losses of key pieces smoothly and quickly and still have Deron Williams running the show. Jerry Sloan's the best coach out west aside from a guy in LA and the Jazz will be great.

3. Oklahoma City Thunder-They now have (in my mind) the unanimous NBA MVP in Kevin Durant and a rising stars at point guard (Russell Westbrook) and center (Serge Ibaka). Everyone else knows their place and has a ton of upside. Scott Brooks got the most of out of his team when it mattered, and lets face it the Lakers won that series of a Pau Gasol tip in.

4. Denver Nuggets-Even though I am a fan of the Jazz, I would rank them ahead if not for a few things. Starting the season without both big men (both Kenyon Martin and Birdman are injured), without George Karl, and with all of the distractions regarding Carmelo's status with the team, the Nuggets take a hit. But they still have a great leader and point guard in Chauncey Billups and now with two potent (yet streaky) shooters in JR Smith and Al Harrington, they'll be a top five team. At any given night, one of those two could have 25)+ points. Plus this team has a lethal X-factor player in Ty Lawson, who I think will get more time this season. If he refines his passing skills and basketball IQ, watch out.

5. Dallas Mavericks-The whole Dirk thing was taken care of pretty easily and Jason Kidd is back for another season. Caron Butler will get more playing time and Shawn Marrion is a threat. Rick C is still coach and Mark Cuban will get other pieces needed to keep them on top. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Shaq ended up there.

6. Phoenix Suns-Alvin Gentry took this team far off of Steve Nash and Amar'e, but who's going to step in to fill the latter's place? My guess is either Robin Lopez or Hakim Warrick, but I doubt we'll know by the start of the season. Still Nash is leading them and will keep the tempo high as well as the team's competitive energy. Plus for the first time in awhile, the Suns finally seem to be playing some defense.

7. San Antonio Spurs-Tim Duncan and Greg Popovich probably have one more good run left in them, and last year's playoff wins over Dallas showed who's still the boss in Texas when it matters. Still all the impact players are old and the status of Tony Parker is concerning.

8. Houston Rockets-This may shock a lot of people but I have my faith in the Rockets for a lot of reasons. It all hinges on the return of a healthy Yao Ming, who has personally stated that he will start the season with the Rockets. If Yao returns healthy and stays healthy over the course of a whole season, this team is a whole lot better. Trevor Ariza takes away pressure in the paint if he's moved to power forward, and I think Luis Scola and Aaron Brooks will both have breakout years. Kyle Lowry can be a Ty Lawson like X-factor player and create all sorts of mismatches. Plus Yao is one of the most complete players in the league and with more pieces around him then Tracy McGrady, this team can and I think will be back in the playoffs.

Portland is a good team but just not good at one thing that really puts them over the top. Still I could see them making the playoffs

Wishful thinking. We're depending on a rookie, Miles, Mr. Glass and an AARP member on the wing, a 4 whose never started a full season and who has a lot expected of him, and a couple of 5's in AJ and Memo who are coming off of injuries. I predict 50 wins, the 4th or 5th seed and a first or second round exit.

Portland signed Wesley Matthews. That alone puts them into 4th place at a mimimum.

LA is definitely the consensus #1, but then who knows?
You have 9-10 other teams that could make (or miss) the playoffs. I could see Houston in over Phoenix. I think Portland makes it. It's hard to count out a team anchored by Roy and Aldridge. Memphis could surprise; they were almost there last season before a late fade.

I'm probably over optimistic about the Jazz, but I'm really liking our core 8. AJ isn't coming back off an injury. He played in almost 80 games last season. Memo is a concern. And I definitely think a better backup PG could be worth 2-3 wins - or at least keep Deron a bit fresher late in the year and into the playoffs. Jazz will have 13 guys happy to be in Utah and all pulling in one direction. I don't see any of them as being more concerned with individual stats over the success of the team. I'm not going to be surprised if this team wins 55-57 games and takes the #2 spot.

when you have fragile ****s like AK on the team it is difficult to win that many number of games. Okur was already slow, it remains to be seen how he moves. If and only if the Jazz stay healthy they have some kind of a shot at no.2.