What's new

2011 Draft question

sgjazzfan

I was just thinking about the Klay Thompson and the 2011 NBA draft and wondered if the jazz would have taken him over Burks if he was available. He has been tearing it up this year. I was also curious where they had the PG's ranked in comparison.

Knight
Walker
Fredette
Thompson
Burks

Where do you think the Jazz had these guys ranked?

Also, last year if the Jazz would have picked Thompson over Burks, would you have been upset? And would you prefer Thompson to Burks knowing what you know now?

I like Burks, but he seems a ways away from being ready (how much of that is PT and opportunity, I don't know). But I think that Thompson would make this team so much better.

I know this is a trivial topic since the draft is over, and we didn't get the option to pick any of these players, but I don't remember thinking too much of Thompson last year before the draft. Is there anyone next year that could be as big of a surprise?

Thompson apparently is much better than anyone thought. That said, he would ride the pine like any other Jazz Rookie.

I have to believe that Freddette and Walker were pretty low on there list. I bet they were relieved to see Freddette off the board when they picked.

Knight I think might have been higher but certainly not that high because they passed on him at 3

In hindsight I might pick Thompson but still not sure. Burks is going to be good too. And both Burks and Thompson would be taken higher knowing what we know now.

I know, for a fact, that the Jazz wanted Knight badly .. only behind Irving. Other than that, I obviously know nothing about how they were internally ranking bpa.

Thompson apparently is much better than anyone thought. That said, he would ride the pine like any other Jazz Rookie.

I have to believe that Freddette and Walker were pretty low on there list. I bet they were relieved to see Freddette off the board when they picked.

Knight I think might have been higher but certainly not that high because they passed on him at 3

In hindsight I might pick Thompson but still not sure. Burks is going to be good too. And both Burks and Thompson would be taken higher knowing what we know now.

I know that Jimmer was in their top 10 bpa.

Thompson's shooting stroke is a thing of beauty. I would love to have him on the team just for his shooting, but you have to understand his stats are going to be severely inflated because of the current state of the Warriors.

I would take him over Burks just because of how great a shooter he is.

Alec Burks
15.6 MPG
41.6% FG (137-329)
26.8% 3 FG (11-41) - 12.46% of his attempts are 3 Pointers
71.4% FT (90-126)
2.1 RPG
0.9 APG
0.4 SPG
6.8 PPG

Klay Thompson
23.0 MPG
44.6% FG (270-606)
43.4% 3FG (102-235) - 38.78% of his attempts are 3 Pointers
87.0% FT (67-77)
2.3 RPG
1.9 APG
0.7 SPG
11.8 PPG

To me it is still a toss up. Would the outside shooting for Klay definately help this team? Yes, without a doubt. They are 2 completely different players though and will be throughout their career.

To me, and this comparison has been thrown out, Burks is more of a Wade type player. Putting pressure by driving and getting to the line. The numbers prove that. The fact that he has gotten to the line 126 times this year in 15.6 minutes per game ranks the highest out of any Jazz player of any Jazz player.

I like what Burks brings to the table and like the pick. If I had a do over I guess I would be a homer and still take Burks.

Thompson's shooting stroke is a thing of beauty. I would love to have him on the team just for his shooting, but you have to understand his stats are going to be severely inflated because of the current state of the Warriors.

I would take him over Burks just because of how great a shooter he is.

Guys I would pay to watch shoot in an open gym:

Ray Allen
Korver
Curry
Thompson

There are other great shooters out there (Nash, Novak, Dirk), but as far as making it look effortless, those 4 are my favorites.

How do you know that?

If you heard it from KOC in an interview or something you have to consider he might have just been saying that to appease local fans.

I was told this by someone that works with KOC. This information came after the draft.

I really quite liked Klay Thompson. He hasn't answered the criticisms of his D, but the offense could have been really special with Thompson.