What's new

2011 draft.....

Why D-Will³??

Good question- Lets see if I can answer it. A major weakness for last years Jazz was three point shooting. D'Will is one of the best 3 point shooters coming out. Another major weakness for the Jazz was rebounding. He averaged close to 8 rebounds per game last year and got 13 rebounds in eliminating Duke from the tournament. A player that gets to the line to shoot free throws helps your scoring, but also puts the others teams players on the bench due to foul trouble. D'Will lead the nation last year on getting to the free throw line. He puts the ball on the floor and gets fouled. Did I mention he was a great 3 point shooter. He is a great shooter and he was 5-6 from 3 point range against a Duke team who is one of the stingiest teams around on the perimeter! Williams can play 2 positions and will be a matchup nightmare who can play some three, but will do more than fine against PFs too. Imagine him taking a small forward down low and posting him up, with his explosiveness. I want him on the Jazz.

Rivers won't fall to 10 dude. Get a grip he is out. You know that won't happen at all. There is no way he drops out of the top 7 unless he is a bust,
and no one thinks he is.

Yes, we may get 8-12 it's possible, but it's not a sure thing. The warriors have some talent if you are being honest. It's true that hasn't stopped them from sucking for a few years, so we shall see.

If Dwill3 is offered for the GS pick, that is the sure thing, if you like him. You know exactly the person you are getting. The person most people have listed as the second best player in the draft. That's more valuable to me that a lot of iffs and maybes (the only thing we know is we aren't getting one the top
ranked studs of 2012).

Remember they could end up in the top of the lottery, and we get no pick at all.

I just feel like the odds are against us getting someone really good.
Yes, we may get a good player, but it's not a given. If that pick was unprotected however I would lean highly towards keeping it.

Other than Rivers, there's also Gilchrist, Quincy Miller, Perry Jones, Sullinger, Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal.
Also, James McAdoo, John Henson, Patrick Young, Adonis Thomas and Terrence Jones in the top 13.

This year the Jazz are in a really lucky position drafting 3rd. No, they don't get their choice of the top three but they get one of the top 3!!, and after that there's a big drop off in talent. And I'm not sure there's a clear consensus #1 in the top 3 picks this year. They all give some reason for hesitation:

Irving's lack of playing time due to his injury as well as his high body fat %,
uncertainty if Dwill2 can successfully transition to the 3,
Kanter's not having played ball in over a year.

So moving from 3 to 2, or even 3 to 1, I'm not sure that would make the decision easier. I'm glad to get whoever falls AND hold onto the GS pick so you at least have a chance at getting one of the 2012 guys mentioned above.

Given the pretty good chance at landing one of those guys in 2012, it's not worth trading one of them in order to move up to 2. Be optimistic - there's a lot to be positive about. This year the Jazz will land either Dwill, or Kanter, or Irving. That's awesome.

Next year, given the dominant teams in the west + GS tendency to suck just enough to miss the playoffs is also reason for optimism. It's a good gamble. If it busts, hey it was still a good gamble.

Considering you want your players to be in the best possible shape, its actually kind of a big deal.

Right, but you can see whether or not they're in basketball shape by watching them play. Some guys are fine with some extra heft and can use it to their advantage. Deron Williams? Charles Barkley?

I just wouldn't cream over a guy because he has 5% rather than 8% or whatever.

Other than Rivers, there's also Gilchrist, Quincy Miller, Perry Jones, Sullinger, Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal.
Also, James McAdoo, John Henson, Patrick Young, Adonis Thomas and Terrence Jones in the top 13.

This year the Jazz are in a really lucky position drafting 3rd. No, they don't get their choice of the top three but they get one of the top 3!!, and after that there's a big drop off in talent. And I'm not sure there's a clear consensus #1 in the top 3 picks this year. They all give some reason for hesitation:

Irving's lack of playing time due to his injury as well as his high body fat %,
uncertainty if Dwill2 can successfully transition to the 3,
Kanter's not having played ball in over a year.

So moving from 3 to 2, or even 3 to 1, I'm not sure that would make the decision easier. I'm glad to get whoever falls AND hold onto the GS pick so you at least have a chance at getting one of the 2012 guys mentioned above.

Given the pretty good chance at landing one of those guys in 2012, it's not worth trading one of them in order to move up to 2. Be optimistic - there's a lot to be positive about. This year the Jazz will land either Dwill, or Kanter, or Irving. That's awesome.

Next year, given the dominant teams in the west + GS tendency to suck just enough to miss the playoffs is also reason for optimism. It's a good gamble. If it busts, hey it was still a good gamble.

yeah, but keep in mind like this year not all the top incoming freshman are going to put themselves in the draft. Also small chance they will not be allowed to. Here's hoping that Adonis Thomas does not declare.

I am so on the Austin Rivers hype-train. A rail-thin 6' 3" chucking guard with a huge mouth? oh boy.

I guess this is a discussion for another thread, hopefully one much, much later.

Oh, I forgot Barnes. I want him or Gilchrist more than Rivers. That will probably change though before next year's draft.

You beat me to it Numb, but this obsession with the mythical 2012 Draft class makes me laugh. 70% of you haven't even seen anyone in this draft class play a single half of basketball but are willing to tell us all their weaknesses. Now you're trying to tell me you know the Austin Rivers, Millers, McAdoo's and Gilchrist's of the worlds games inside and out and they are basically unicorns or the basketball world?

By the sound of it the basketball world will never be the same after 2012.....they'll have to raise the hoop to 12'. If Draftexpress told you I was a lockdown defender and had a good jumpshot most of you would take it for gospel and have a thread dedicated to taking Bodhi at 3.

If the draft were today, I'd hope for Williams/Montejunas and be happy with Kanter/Brooks-Singleton-Burks (if he learns to shoot)

If Draftexpress told you I was a lockdown defender and had a good jumpshot most of you would take it for gospel and have a thread dedicated to taking Bodhi at 3.

link? The Jazz need a lockdown defender with a good jumpshot.

Of course there is absolutley no chance that he can bulk up apparently.

He might not care to. Maybe he doesn't feel the need to. It'd be interesting to get Xthren to analyze an interview of him, if there was one. DX says he's talented and knows it. Mr. Cocky. That can be good or bad.

He might not care to. Maybe he doesn't feel the need to. It'd be interesting to get Xthren to analyze an interview of him, if there was one. DX says he's talented and knows it. Mr. Cocky. That can be good or bad.

Cocky is always bad. Confidence is good.

Of course there is absolutley no chance that he can bulk up apparently.

Take it from a guy that knows, not all frames are created equal (see Evans, Jeremy). Considering that this guy is widely purported to blow off huge parts of the game and the preparation around it, that makes it all the more concerning.

The 2012 hype is growing because there is more star power, but some of those names aren't worth wiggling your worm to.

Terrence Jones? Meh