What's new

2011 draft.....

Yeah, I think Barnes is gonna be a pretty safe solid pick. That's his floor. His ceiling is a franchise player stud.

If there was absolute certainty he'd be a stud he'd go number 1. If he's still there when the Jazz pick, he's a low-risk BPA.

I know that Nolan Smith is rated about 10 picks lower than where we are, but I think he'll make a solid backup PG as a pro.

This is now my favorite choice

Jazz get lucky in the lottery and get the 2nd or 3rd pick and take D-Will2. Then trade our pick to where Harrison Barnes goes and include CJ, Tomic or whoever that it will take to get him(GS pick?).

Then don't re sign AK, Elson, Fes. Openly shop Millsap and find a cheap 3rd PG. With AK's $ sign a SG and or defensive center

Watched Derrick Williams play a couple of times and he seems to be a Lamar Odom/Boris Diaw type so his future is more a power forward in the NBA. Unless we have a deal in place to trade Millsap, I am not sure if we will keep him even if we draft him.

Watched Derrick Williams play a couple of times and he seems to be a Lamar Odom/Boris Diaw type so his future is more a power forward in the NBA. Unless we have a deal in place to trade Millsap, I am not sure if we will keep him even if we draft him.

Both of them started their careers as small forwards. Thurl Bailey was 6'11" and played SF most of his career.

Ok so filling the 3, who do you like out of Williams or Barnes?

Would one of these guys also be able to play the 2? or do you just have Hayward play the 2? (until we wait for another move to address this position)

Chad Ford wrote:
2. Harrison Barnes, SF, North Carolina

The good: Barnes is a skilled wing who can do a little bit of everything. He's been especially dangerous in the clutch this season. Barnes has ice water running through his veins and has killed a number of teams late with some great shooting. His high basketball IQ, smooth athleticism and even-keeled demeanor are all pluses.

The bad: He hasn't lived up to the hype. Barnes really struggled out of the gate and lost his place as the consensus No. 1 pick in the draft. Too often, Barnes settles for jump shots instead of taking the ball to the basket. His athletic abilities don't pop the way they do for other top prospects.

The upside: Barnes has been a different player since hitting a game winner against Miami in late January. Since then, he's been averaging 19 points per game for North Carolina, and the team is 12-2 in that stretch. If Barnes can have a few more big games in the tournament, he could move himself back into the conversation for the No. 1 pick in the draft.

This can address CJ's quest of someone bailing the team out.

Ok so filling the 3, who do you like out of Williams or Barnes?

Would one of these guys also be able to play the 2? or do you just have Hayward play the 2? (until we wait for another move to address this position)

wait... why can't Hayward address the position?

We need to find a complete swing man for the 3, a defensive 5, and then get a couple of mid-tier shooters to round out the squad. I have no problems (right now) envisioning Hayward as next year's starting SG.

DWill2 and Barnes look to be your complete 3... and Barnes is turning me on more and more. Maybe you get lucky with the NJ pick and get one of these guys without trading up, but if you need to move up then you throw CJ and the other pick at it.

For the NJ pick, if Harrison Barnes is available, he should be a no-brainer. Pre-season though he was a Top 3 pick and then dropped when UNC was struggling. With UNC back in rhythm since Larry Drew II left and Barnes looking ready to star in the Tournament, I could see him being a Top 3 selection again. At 6'8" with speed, range, and proving he is clutch, he should move ahead of the undersized PF Jared Sullinger and possibly even Kyrie Irving, if he doesn't play or excel in the tournament. At best, Harrison is Tracy McGrady. At worst, he is Marvin Williams. Either way, that is a better 2 or 3 than Utah has.

For the second pick, if Kendall Marshall declares, I would go with the UNC sweep. Since he came into the starting line-up, UNC has been back on track. He is at least 6'3" and 185, so he has Deron Williams size. He is a lefty, which is unique for a PG, and good at getting in the lane, sort of a combination of D-Will and Tony Parker. His outside shot is improving, but he could be a good floor leader and a steal in that 10-14 range, especially in a year or two.

If Marshall is not available, I would trade down and see if you could get two later first round picks, maybe with Phoenix who as of now would have 14 and 23. With two later first round picks, I would take some combination of Kemba Walker or Nolan Smith and Jordan Hamilton or Kyle Singler.

Kemba or Smith could be quality back-up point guards, maybe even grow into a starter like Darren Collison did. For a year they could learn under Earl Watson and then take over as the #2 behind Harris. Both are upper classmen, so they should be ready to compete. Kemba is a scoring machine, but can dish. Nolan can score, pass, and place solid man-to-man defense.

Jordan Hamilton has shined in the Texas offense that is modelled after Utah's. He should rise into the late lottery with a strong showing in the Tournament, with Texas having a good shot to get to the Sweet 16. Kyle Singler is as close to the second coming of Matt Harpring as there is. He is the toughest player in college basketball but also polished, which is rare. He is a player that should wear a Jazz uniform.

I wouldn't be opposed to the Jazz taking John Henson with their second pick, if he was still on the board. He might be the defensive interior player they're looking for and seems to be pretty smart.

I wouldn't be opposed to the Jazz taking John Henson with their second pick, if he was still on the board. He might be the defensive interior player they're looking for and seems to be pretty smart.

the prob is that he is a 4 all the way. He looks intriguing, but I'd only draft him if I had a trade that sent Millsap out.

the prob is that he is a 4 all the way. He looks intriguing, but I'd only draft him if I had a trade that sent Millsap out.

I think he is quick enough to play the 3. The problem is that he cant shoot from the outside. He will also have a problem similar to Henson and get outmuscled inside. The Heels with no size outside of Zeller and Henson, have to play him at the 4.

I don't think Barnes is as much a project as others believe him to be. I think he's more NBA ready than Hayward was. As a disclaimer, I haven't watched a whole lot this year because I didn't think the Jazz were going to have a pick. Oh, how times have changed.

Yes.... And we've seen how well he's played this year too....

Barnes might end up being the best player in this draft. I'm not knocking that.

However, if he doesn't come in and average 15+ points, we're not going to win even 30 games next year. We are in desperate need of someone to come in and have a Dwade type impact on our team. I remember in his rookie year, he came in and completely changed the whole dynamic of that Heat franchise.

The other issue is Jazz coaching. You'd think that Favors and Hayward would be getting a LOT more PT than they have received. Who's to say next year that CJ, AK, or Raja won't be starting over Barnes?
Who's to say that someone like Millsap or Elson won't be starting over Favors or Enes (if we draft him?)?
Who's to say that Earl Watson/Ronnie Price won't start over Jimmer or whoever else we possibly draft as PG?

There are many factors that we will need to consider. Even if we score well and take the "right" players this draft, a lot will depend on the Jazz's ability to develop them. Judging from our past track record, and Ty's current (stupid) rotations, I'm left with a severe lack of confidence.

Lastly, it would be stupid to stash an international player. We need help NOW. We don't need to stash someone over seas so they can get a good contract in Europe and then cost us an insane amount of money to buyout (and then later find that they're too stiff and soft to survive in the NBA).

Stay domestic and draft the BPA.

However, if he doesn't come in and average 15+ points, we're not going to win even 30 games next year. We are in desperate need of someone to come in and have a Dwade type impact on our team. I remember in his rookie year, he came in and completely changed the whole dynamic of that Heat franchise.

The other issue is Jazz coaching. You'd think that Favors and Hayward would be getting a LOT more PT than they have received. Who's to say next year that CJ, AK, or Raja won't be starting over Barnes?
Who's to say that someone like Millsap or Elson won't be starting over Favors or Enes (if we draft him?)?
Who's to say that Earl Watson/Ronnie Price won't start over Jimmer or whoever else we possibly draft as PG?

There are many factors that we will need to consider. Even if we score well and take the "right" players this draft, a lot will depend on the Jazz's ability to develop them. Judging from our past track record, and Ty's current (stupid) rotations, I'm left with a severe lack of confidence.

Lastly, it would be stupid to stash an international player. We need help NOW. We don't need to stash someone over seas so they can get a good contract in Europe and then cost us an insane amount of money to buyout (and then later find that they're too stiff and soft to survive in the NBA).

Makes me wonder what the 2012 darft will look like. Maybe a 30-win season next year (standard caveat: if there is a next year) would not be so bad if the 2012 darft has stronger players.

How did D-Wade do as a freshman? Or Brandon Roy?

Dwade dominated. 18 points (49 % FG), nearly 3 steals, nearly 7 rebounds, and 3 assists.
Roy didn't do much, only received 17 mins per game in only 13 games.

We need guys that can give us immediate help their rookie seasons. Barnes just may be that guy. We'll have to see... And we'll have to hope that the Jazz coach will give guys PT to prove themselves...

Makes me wonder what the 2012 darft will look like. Maybe a 30-win season next year (standard caveat: if there is a next year) would not be so bad if the 2012 darft has stronger players.

Perhaps.

Perhaps the Jazz go with the BPA and end up with a Shawn Marion type guy. A guy that can be a good #3 our #4 option for a team.

Then in 2012, they end up using (2 picks? won't we have 2 picks in 2012?) on a guy that can be a #1 option?

Then again, that makes the Jazz extremely young.

By the time our 4 draft picks, 5 if we count Hayward, end up producing anything, Jefferson, Millsap, and Harris will either all want to leave or will have expiring deals ready for more $$$

Oh please, you are being a bit dramatic. We easily have the talent on the roster currently (assuming we have a completely healthy roster at the start of next season) to win at least 40 games. So much crap has happened this year its almost impossible to give an accurate benchmark of how good this team is. With the addition of two lottery picks we are easily in position to make the playoffs next year as a low seed, especially if one of the picks comes in puts up a solid rookie season.

Oh please, you are being a bit dramatic. We easily have the talent on the roster currently (assuming we have a completely healthy roster at the start of next season) to win at least 40 games. So much crap has happened this year its almost impossible to give an accurate benchmark of how good this team is. With the addition of two lottery picks we are easily in position to make the playoffs next year as a low seed, especially if one of the picks comes in puts up a solid rookie season.

kool1.jpg

I have no clue who we will draft. I like Barnes like others on here. Anyway, thanks to everyone for keeping us informed on the possible selections.