What's new

2014 NBA Finals

Stayed up late last night to watch the game. Problem was I had promised my sister to give her my NBALP account because she wanted to watch with a friend. But 90F in my room prevented me from sleeping and I was afraid of cramps so I found some high quality stream. Was pretty entertaining overall and I wonder what the HEAT's 3pt% was in the 4th quarter?

If the Jazz could instill such a team first ball movement focused system with 1 or 2 strong iso options, they'd be really fun to watch.

My brother who returned from a music festival at 4.30 in the morning was also pretty lucky as he had no key and I was still up. I just missed the last 2 Miami baskets when I unlocked the door for him.

Hilarious that you're already giving yourself an out. The Spurs will win, but if they lose, it's because of the refs. Basically you have a zero percent chance of being wrong - at least in your own mind.

....not giving myself an "out"! Just making an observation based on previous Finals that involved Dwayne Wade and the Heat! Plus, if that one ref that has it in for Duncan does a game.....it should throw up a red flag to every full blooded Spurs fan and bookies all over the world! Right now, the Heat have even this series, not because of the refs, but because they played poorly on defense Sunday night and missed 4 consecutive free throws that were crucial! I tip my hat to the Heat right now. If the Spurs don't tighten up on defense.....I'll be eating some more crow, that's for sure!!!

This Spurs team is a Dynasty. I don't care if they have won any in a row. 5 Championships and a lot of almosts mixed in there. Routinely had one of the best records. Played in tougher Western Conference. Dominated for 15. It's a Dynasty. That's not really earth shattering, but some don't think so.

This Spurs team is a Dynasty. I don't care if they have won any in a row. 5 Championships and a lot of almosts mixed in there. Routinely had one of the best records. Played in tougher Western Conference. Dominated for 15. It's a Dynasty. That's not really earth shattering, but some don't think so.

dynasties must defend their title. winning a championship creates a bullseye. truly great dynasties take that challenge and stay as a champion.
ask any champions in the world. ask spurs. it's hard to defend that championship belt. it's unfair for those true dynasties who took that challenge and defended their titles.

spurs is a truly a model organization. they are the best in the business right now. but not a dynasty. on the other hand, this Heat team still has a chance to be a dynasty. if they bounce back and win it all again next year then this Heat team is a dynasty. 5 championship appearances in a row and 3 championships? now that's a dynasty.

i think its obviously hands down a dynasty

fabtrey going fatbrey on this one

Wanted to rewatch the game this morning, no spoilerino, as I fell asleep last night before the game started.

Opened league pass on my browser with score hidden settings, was about to start to watch.

Misclicked on the language selection, browser loaded the australian nba page.

Saw Patty Mills smiling, watched the 20 min summary version instead.

Spurs are beasting.

I think I'll revisit the Dallas series over the summer to find out if Dallas did a lot of things right that the other teams failed to do or if San Antonio simply stepped up their game.

Also when this board thought Hayward over George was a huge mistake, how about Burks over Leonard?

Dude will score a $15M annually extension this summer. And deserves every penny of it. Damn. Also we both share a birthday. With me being a couple years older and slightly less talented at playing basketball. But only slightly...

Also San Antonio is a dynasty. Big time. 17 consecutive seasons with a win pct bigger than 61(That's 50 wins in a non lockout year)
Failed to reach 50 wins once in a lockout year(37-13 in 98/99), managed to get that number in the other lockout season.

If you look at depth, longetivity, small market status and Salary Cap restrictions that's helluva accomplishment in this day and age.

dynasties must defend their title. winning a championship creates a bullseye. truly great dynasties take that challenge and stay as a champion.
ask any champions in the world. ask spurs. it's hard to defend that championship belt. it's unfair for those true dynasties who took that challenge and defended their titles.

spurs is a truly a model organization. they are the best in the business right now. but not a dynasty. on the other hand, this Heat team still has a chance to be a dynasty. if they bounce back and win it all again next year then this Heat team is a dynasty. 5 championship appearances in a row and 3 championships? now that's a dynasty.

5 finishes in the last 14 means as an NBA team, they've won % 36 of the last one and a half decades NBA cups. Lakers are the other team at that stage I think and the Heat might continue or top it if they keep James. I say Spurs has set their record in the history books as big as any other team. I think another reason for Spurs not having a dynasty like you defined having back to back might be that the league's gap between two contending teams got thinner and it's harder to consistently gain success at the top level of playoffs.

Also San Antonio is a dynasty. Big time. 17 consecutive seasons with a win pct bigger than 61(That's 50 wins in a non lockout year)
Failed to reach 50 wins once in a lockout year(37-13 in 98/99), managed to get that number in the other lockout season.

If you look at depth, longetivity, small market status and Salary Cap restrictions that's helluva accomplishment in this day and age.

dy·nas·ty [dahy-nuh-stee; British also din-uh-stee]
noun, plural dy·nas·ties.
a sequence of rulers from the same family, stock, or group: the Ming dynasty.
the rule of such a sequence.
a series of members of a family who are distinguished for their success, wealth, etc.

great winning organization = / = dynasty. when you don't win a championship sequentially then i don't consider that a dynasty. Great dynasties don't rise then fall next year. They stay on top. i don't throw the 'd' word like it's nothing. what happens a team goes to 10 straight championships with 60 wins every year, but only wins 1 championships losing 9? are they a dynasty too?

spurs have yet to accomplish the toughest thing in the world - defending their title. i've never once considered spurs a dynasty. dynasties i've experienced in my life time are showtime lakers(9 championship appearance 5 rings) MJ's bulls (2 3 peat) and shaq/kobe lakers(3peat and 1 more championship appareance). They ruled the league, put a tremendous fear in the league, and defended their title.

again, this isn't just my view point. phil jackson and many others also agree with me.

5 finishes in the last 14 means as an NBA team, they've won % 36 of the last one and a half decades NBA cups. Lakers are the other team at that stage I think and the Heat might continue or top it if they keep James. I say Spurs has set their record in the history books as big as any other team. I think another reason for Spurs not having a dynasty like you defined having back to back might be that the league's gap between two contending teams got thinner and it's harder to consistently gain success at the top level of playoffs.

i'm not gonna make excuses for spurs. they had good enough team in the past to win back to back. and this spurs should also be favored again next year if everybody stays.
it's meant to be tough. spurs will show you next year again how hard it is to repeat the championship. and ask the Heat how hard 3 peat really is. there is a reason why only handful of organizations are called a dynasty.

No doubt it is hard but his fifth championship is the most important thing relatively recently. No Megastars no crazy athletes no arrogant hollywood types just plain team basketball have won it all. Get past everyone including the top two guys KD and LJ. I would love to see Kevin Durant win his well deserved ring now.

maybe next year is KD's year. if they can add 1 more piece and upgrade the bench then i think they should be strongly considered as a favorite again.