What's new

2015-2016 F/A build the bench wish list

Lakers_Slapper

Its obvious that the Jazz need to add some depth to the team. Most can agree that we have a solid starting 5 core to work with for the most part. If we can build our bench and add some depth it would make all the difference in the world regarding our overall team efficiency for next season. Who are some of your choices from some upcoming free agents?

Here is a few that I think would fit in and help us add some depth to our bench.

1. Leandro Barbosa-
He brings great leadership and experience. He's a good defender and would give us a much needed spark off the bench.

2. DeMarre Carroll
I think we can all agree on this one. We witnessed his passion for the game when he played for us, and we see what he is doing in Atlanta. The guy is a work horse and always brings his A game. Specializing in defense, and great defense leads to great offense.

3. Thomas Robinson
Undersized at the PF, but an excellent rebounder creating second chance opportunities and a decent rim protector for his size.

There are obviously more out there, whats your take?

Posted this in another thread but

For realistic FAs. Not including the often talked-about Millsap/Wes Matthews/Middleton/Danny Green/Caroll etc etc

Main ones
I'd throw an offer sheet at Cory Joseph. I think he can be a 15/4/5ish guy.

I'd also throw an offer sheet at Jae Crowder. He's been great in Boston and he can be like Draymond lite.

Alexis Ajinca as a third big.

Dorrell Wright as a cheap bench dude who can shoot.

Reggie Evans as a cheap 4th big. Instant fan favorite, seems like a cool dude, experienced, tough as nails, crashes the boards. Also, I think it'd be entertaining as hell and hilarious seeing him and Booker on the court at the same time.

Extras
Brandon Bass, Amir Johnson (I like him if he can stay healthy), Kosta Koufos, Omri Casspi (energy guy), Luke Babbit (cheap stretch 4, not sure how his defense is), Luc Mbah a Moute (good defender, not a good shooter), Cole Aldrich (cheap 4th big who I think can actually be decent with some minutes)

I would give up to Booker team option and throw that money to take Tomic or Seraphin as third big.

I would give to Alexey Shved a 2-year $10 million contract...he is a combo guard and has good passing skills.

I would bring Neto in Nba as third point guard.

I would consider Darrell Arthur as fourth big and Alonzo Gee to fill the roster.

Gobert/Tomic/Motum
Favors/Booker/Evans
Hayward/Hood/Ingles
FA SG/Burks/Millsap
Exum/FA point Guard/Cotton(I wish Burke the best in his future endeavors)

So here is the list (no particular order):

Bring over Tomic
Pick up the option on Booker
Sign Motum
Re-sign Evans
Sign starting SG
Sign back up PG
Trade Burke

Hood will offset Burks slashing nicely. Having those two on the bench, especially with a good passing big like Tomic, should solve the bench scoring. Jazz still retain all the pieces that made us a defensive juggernaut like Millsap.

An alternate would be to get a starting SF and move Hayward to SG.

For realistic FAs. Not including the often talked-about Millsap/Wes Matthews/Middleton/Danny Green/Caroll etc etc

Main ones

I'd also throw an offer sheet at Jae Crowder. He's been great in Boston and he can be like Draymond lite.

Reggie Evans as a cheap 4th big. Instant fan favorite, seems like a cool dude, experienced, tough as nails, crashes the boards. Also, I think it'd be entertaining as hell and hilarious seeing him and Booker on the court at the same time.

Extras
Brandon Bass, Amir Johnson (I like him if he can stay healthy), Kosta Koufos, Omri Casspi (energy guy), Luke Babbit (cheap stretch 4, not sure how his defense is), Luc Mbah a Moute (good defender, not a good shooter), Cole Aldrich (cheap 4th big who I think can actually be decent with some minutes)
Good work

There is no way DeMarre Carroll is going to want to go from ~30 mins starting at Atlanta, to end up at 10-15 mins off the Jazz bench. Not very realistic...

Carroll would 30 mins a night here. He is arguably the best wing defender and hits threes at over 40%. Hood has potential, but Carroll is better right now. We'd look like this:

Exum, please anyone other than Burke
Hayward, Burks, Millsap
Carroll, Hood, Ingles
Favors, Booker
Gobert, someone

Plus add in a draft pick. Not too shabby. I'd take Carroll in a heartbeat.

I know the general consensus has been that we need a 3 and D guy, but I think the biggest area of improvement would be at the point guard position. Exum will hopefully take a leap, but we still need a better player behind him.

The OP suggested Cory Joseph and I like him... if we miss out we should try and acquire Jeremy Lin, Darren Collison, or maybe Jose Calderon (can't decide if he is done or if the Knicks stink has gotten to him). Other guys that I don't like as much... Rodney Stuckey, Aaron Brooks, CJ Watson, or even Norris Cole (decent defender and doesn't shoot as much).

Our wing rotation when healthy is pretty decent... Hayward, Burks, and Hood are decent. If we could get Carroll or Green that would be great and i think we would be loaded on the wing. I think more likely if we add a fourth wing it will be in a lower tier of free agent. Mike Dunleavy, Jared Dudley, Dorrell Wright, or Jae Crowder types.

i think we either draft kaminsky or bring over Tomic. Either way I don't think there will be many minutes for Booker. Booker is fun and a good dude I'm fine with keeping him, but his cap dollars might be better spent elsewhere. He is fairly replaceable imo.

Main ones

Extras

Would be funny to see Koufos back in a Jazz uni but with the Grizz needing to max Gasol could be possible.
Amir Johnson and Brandan Wright also could be possibilities.
Will get killed for mentioning his name but Bargnani is unrestricted
If we decided not to fully guarantee Booker's contract Thad Young could be someone to talk to.

Pgs-
Gary Neal - shooting, defense, vet, leadership and ex spur. Great mentor for Dante
Matthew Dellevedova - Shooting and just fun to watch not to mention australian
JJ Barea - Would be a great bench player
Nick Calathes - Shooter who would be a great bench player
Jimmer Fredette - Shooting and you could do a lot worse for a 3rd PG but wqith bryce cotton probably wont happen but what can i say i am a homer
Alexey Shved - Combo guard would be a great addition to the bench and would play well with Burks. Decent passer and good shooter

Wings -
Iman Shumpert - 3 and D would be a nice peice if the Jazz do not draft a wing. I question his mental make up but maybe he might work here with the culture
Corey Brewer - 3 and D who has been playing well this year.
KJ McDaniels- could be a 3 and D steal if he can learn to be consistent with his shot. Plays with a lot of passion.
John Jenkins - deadly shooter that has been buried on ATLs bench

Pfs -
Mirza teletovic - Shooting and he can play the 3 in a pinch. He is a very good shooter that will give the Jazz and QS the stretch 4 they need. Brooklyn will have a hard time matching most offers.
Thad Young - Would be a great 3rd big coule play with Gobert and or Favors when either needs a rest. Him and Burks could hold down the second unit.
Kyle O'Quinn - Its the last name doe. He would be a decent back up could play some 5 also

Centers -
Alexis Ajinca - as a 3rd center on the roster the Jazz could do a lot less and he is from france also. Rudy is what he was suppose to become maybe QS can make him a late bloomer
Jason Smith - If tomic doesnt come over he would be a good get as a back up

Pgs-
Gary Neal - shooting, defense, vet, leadership and ex spur. Great mentor for Dante
Jimmer Fredette - Shooting and you could do a lot worse for a 3rd PG but wqith bryce cotton probably wont happen but what can i say i am a homer
Alexey Shved - Combo guard would be a great addition to the bench and would play well with Burks. Decent passer and good shooter

Wings -
Iman Shumpert - 3 and D would be a nice peice if the Jazz do not draft a wing. I question his mental make up but maybe he might work here with the culture
KJ McDaniels- could be a 3 and D steal if he can learn to be consistent with his shot. Plays with a lot of passion.

Pfs -
Mirza teletovic - Shooting and he can play the 3 in a pinch. He is a very good shooter that will give the Jazz and QS the stretch 4 they need. Brooklyn will have a hard time matching most offers.
Thad Young - Would be a great 3rd big coule play with Gobert and or Favors when either needs a rest. Him and Burks could hold down the second unit.
Kyle O'Quinn - Its the last name doe. He would be a decent back up could play some 5 also

Centers -
Alexis Ajinca - as a 3rd center on the roster the Jazz could do a lot less and he is from france also. Rudy is what he was suppose to become maybe QS can make him a late bloomer

I hate all of the point guards you listed except for Calathes. Neal is a terrible defender... and not a point guard really. Schved is putting up numbers on a bad team and is just horrendous on defense... he also always looks sad.

The other players would be fine depending on what we do in the draft.

Main ones

Extras

Reggie Evans though?? This ain't the 2010 or even 2011-2012 version of Evans.

Pgs-

Wings -

Pfs -

Centers -

Not a bad list but quite a few are restricted, but if Jazz really wants one of them see if their team will match.

Yeah, at this point I want to concentrate on Tomic first, then Carroll, then go bargain shopping if none of that pans out. I have no interest in the Alexey Shveds of the world. I think most of these backup pg options would be performing just as bad if not worse than Burke if placed in the same situation. Adding bench scoring with Tomic and a Healthy Burks or/and Hood if we get Carroll would improve Trey significantly. Getting Carroll might make us have to choose between Jingles and Millsap though which brings me sadness. . .

he would be my first call this summer. every team needs shooting and Brooklyn cant match

[VIDEO=YouTube;rVGxXeQkXYI]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rVGxXeQkXYI