What's new

2016 Beehive Brew Off

then why use the beehive branding? I think this is flagrantly false and misleading advertising

I will speak to Rubashov from Shyster, Shyster and Shyster about these deceptive trade practices...

The beehive brew off has a few categories for mead with seperate best of show winners for mead.

I'm not a big fan of mead.

I also use some honey in my Queen Bee and Worker Bee beers, but they are not meads, they are beers.

And I think my "Worker Bee Bitter" name is really clever. First, as BigB mentioned, Utah is the beehive state.

This is above the road leading to the state capitol
Eagle+Gate+2014.JPG

Us average Utahns are the worker bees. The beer I make called "Worker Bee Bitter" is of the style British ordinary bitter. It is traditionally the lower alcohol content beer saved for the lower class. It's also a bitter. But in classic British style the name "Worker Bee Bitter" is a double entendre, implying that us worker bees are a little bit bitter about our condition. I'll stop short of getting into the additional layers of meaning related to the relationship between the predominant religion, our legislature and the non-LDS community.

The beehive brew off has a few categories for mead with seperate best of show winners for mead.

I'm not a big fan of mead.

I also use some honey in my Queen Bee and Worker Bee beers, but they are not meads, they are beers.

And I think my "Worker Bee Bitter" name is really clever. First, as BigB mentioned, Utah is the beehive state.

This is above the road leading to the state capitol
Eagle+Gate+2014.JPG

Us average Utahns are the worker bees. The beer I make called "Worker Bee Bitter" is of the style British ordinary bitter. It is traditionally the lower alcohol content beer saved for the lower class. It's also a bitter. But in classic British style the name "Worker Bee Bitter" is a double entendre, implying that us worker bees are a little bit bitter about our condition. I'll stop short of getting into the additional layers of meaning related to the relationship between the predominant religion, our legislature and the non-LDS community.

So 60 gallons that's what 240 liters? 480 pints, what are you gonna drink the other 11 months of the year?

Me and one of the blokes I work with are considering doing a commercial standard brewers course, I've got my nonno's wine making setup, 500 liter vat, think i've got btw 20 and 25 kegs, wouldn't mind getting into it for a bit of fun.

Talking about beer - a craft beer collection store just opened across my business place... I think my liver is doomed now since I will be trying everything they have there and they do have a ton of beers I have never seen or tried before. Owner even promised me to look into getting Dogfish Head imported as well.

Talking about beer - a craft beer collection store just opened across my business place... I think my liver is doomed now since I will be trying everything they have there and they do have a ton of beers I have never seen or tried before. Owner even promised me to look into getting Dogfish Head imported as well.

Ain't you going to Sydney next year? Head down to Marrickville and go to Batch, Grifter and Sauce, three quality craft brewers within walking distance of each other. I hit them pretty hard whenever I'm in Sydney.

Reactions: MVP
Ain't you going to Sydney next year? Head down to Marrickville and go to Batch, Grifter and Sauce, three quality craft brewers within walking distance of each other. I hit them pretty hard whenever I'm in Sydney.
Plan is 2020 mate. It's not cheap trip need to save up lol.

Every quack i know throws 10 cent pieces round like they're manhole covers.

Okay, all my beers are done and have been entered. Ten entries! That's from eight 10gallon batches brewed between May 20th and July 28th. The majority of my free time over the last few months has been brewing, kegging, bottling, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning.

I thought it would be fun to whip up some semi-generic beer labels using a site called the beer labelizer https://www.beerlabelizer.com/ nothing fancy but they have a set of options that you can quickly add text to and a few ways to customize and print out labels yourself. So I did that for my entries. Not the ones entered, just some of the extra beers I bottled. Here's the pics...

X7pmUCQ.jpg

lFIRSAF.jpg

g1TVPr0.jpg

ApMw7tP.jpg

V139rwn.jpg

gaX5ZEU.jpg

JG49yrB.jpg

TdQEl5V.jpg

lQvLEfB.jpg

RlDZBvz.jpg

I'll get the worker bee and the australian sparkling ale please...
So the Australian Sparkling ale is a style in the competition, is it a common style in Australia? It's not a beer I've ever seen or tasted a commercial example of, I just formulated the recipe off the style description.

Oh and that label is hard to read. It's called "Great Australian Bight" Australian Sparkling Ale.

Okay, all my beers are done and have been entered. Ten entries! That's from eight 10gallon batches brewed between May 20th and July 28th. The majority of my free time over the last few months has been brewing, kegging, bottling, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning.

I thought it would be fun to whip up some semi-generic beer labels using a site called the beer labelizer https://www.beerlabelizer.com/ nothing fancy but they have a set of options that you can quickly add text to and a few ways to customize and print out labels yourself. So I did that for my entries. Not the ones entered, just some of the extra beers I bottled. Here's the pics...

X7pmUCQ.jpg

lFIRSAF.jpg

g1TVPr0.jpg

ApMw7tP.jpg

V139rwn.jpg

gaX5ZEU.jpg

JG49yrB.jpg

TdQEl5V.jpg

lQvLEfB.jpg

RlDZBvz.jpg

Dat jazz logo table doe.......

Those labels and beers look great!

Ive only had a Australian Sparkling Ale once and I liked it. I am sure yours is really good.

I was really hoping to be at the beehive brewoff but I am volunteering to build something at burning man this year so im leaving next week for a couple weeks.

Hopefully next year I can actually submit a beer, thats the goal at least.

So the Australian Sparkling ale is a style in the competition, is it a common style in Australia? It's not a beer I've ever seen or tasted a commercial example of, I just formulated the recipe off the style description.

Oh and that label is hard to read. It's called "Great Australian Bight" Australian Sparkling Ale.

Will send you a link when i get to work