What's new

2019-2020 Ticket Price Increase

mellow

Today the Jazz announced increases in the season ticket pricing for 2019-2020 season.

In their ever-quest to be decidedly average, Jazz management decided their prices were below average and bumped the upper bowl by as much as 40%. Some of the average fans were decidedly angry.

I haven't been able to afford a game in years, but mostly by choice I decided to purchase average stuff like food and insurance instead.

Hopefully Jason doesn't follow suit.

Maybe if they'd spend over the tax every so often...

The problems I have (non-STH, btw): is that this was sprung on STHs with an early deadline. There are no added benefits. The way Steve Starks seems to not have an issue with it besides the usual "We're sorry but not sorry, take it or leave it."

But my biggest issue is that this is just 100% corporate speak and no one really knows what this extra money is for other than to have extra money... Do we need to keep up with the other teams when this team is held in a trust? Will spending more for tickets allow us to pursue AND SIGN bigger names and go over the tax? Is this just an excuse to have customers pay for the recent renovations? Just level with the fans and be honest:

"Dear STH, In order to continue to put out a competitive team, we need to do this. The market situation asks that we do what we can to help support Utah Jazz operations and the hope is that the new funding will go towards making our team stronger and better and if needed, allow us to dip into the luxury tax. We also recognize that the sooner we can manage to pay off the recent renovations, the sooner more financial support for our Utah Jazz can be had. We hope that these new prices will allow you to continue to enjoy the game day experience with us and above all, Team Is Everything. Thank you for your support over the many decades we have called this arena home and our ticket reps are standing by to support however we can."

Not this arbitrary BS about matching other teams just because.

Best seat in the house is on the couch.
Feel bad for the people that have been season ticket holders for years and are getting priced out

Isnt the resell market for tickets pretty ridiculous? I think it's reasonable for them to charge more money if people are just buying tickets to scalp them to make a profit.

Meh... the price increases aren’t that bad but Utahns and Mormons are generally cheap AF... and yes I am the latter and grew up in Utah.

So I expect lots of belly aching and for season tickets to sell out again.

Isnt the resell market for tickets pretty ridiculous? I think it's reasonable for them to charge more money if people are just buying tickets to scalp them to make a profit.
I bought season tickets for the 2008 season under the impression that resell would make me money and I could go to several games basically for free.

I put in a lot of work trying to sell tickets. Most of the time I sold tickets at a loss. That's a loss after my season ticket holder discount. I went to ZERO premium games. Those were the only games I could hope to make money from. So I sold my Cleveland tickets, my Boston tickets, my lakers tickets, all the good ones. I ended up going to Jazz vs Bucks and many many games that I would have been happy to sell but I was subsidising other people going to games because I could only sell for less than I was paying for the tickets. I had lower bowl seats and it cost me $92/seat each and every game, even pre-season. That's 2008. regular price for the seats, if I remember correctly, was $112. I frequently sold tickets for $40 each. For premium games I did sell tickets for over $400 each, but that was just a handful of games over the season.

I spent over 8k on my seats and made around 6k selling them. Every game I went to I spent money to park and usually about $80 for drinks and snacks. Stupidest **** I ever did.

Today the Jazz announced increases in the season ticket pricing for 2019-2020 season.

In their ever-quest to be decidedly average, Jazz management decided their prices were below average and bumped the upper bowl by as much as 40%. Some of the average fans were decidedly angry.

I think you meant an increase of up 140%. At least that's what I was reading. Many people had tickets that more than doubled in price. Yikes.

I bought season tickets for the 2008 season under the impression that resell would make me money and I could go to several games basically for free.

I put in a lot of work trying to sell tickets. Most of the time I sold tickets at a loss. That's a loss after my season ticket holder discount. I went to ZERO premium games. Those were the only games I could hope to make money from. So I sold my Cleveland tickets, my Boston tickets, my lakers tickets, all the good ones. I ended up going to Jazz vs Bucks and many many games that I would have been happy to sell but I was subsidising other people going to games because I could only sell for less than I was paying for the tickets. I had lower bowl seats and it cost me $92/seat each and every game, even pre-season. That's 2008. regular price for the seats, if I remember correctly, was $112. I frequently sold tickets for $40 each. For premium games I did sell tickets for over $400 each, but that was just a handful of games over the season.

I spent over 8k on my seats and made around 6k selling them. Every game I went to I spent money to park and usually about $80 for drinks and snacks. Stupidest **** I ever did.
Hmm, I wonder with the increase in social media technology has helped the scalper market function more efficiently.

I dunno... will be interesting to keep track of but people will still cough up if theres a competitive team on the floor.

At least it'll give us an idea of how the new 'Trust' structure will operate and how much is ACTUALLY invested into the on court success of the Jazz.

I saved my buddy a few hundred grand by telling him a box was the dumbest thing ever to buy and that they could get it any night they wanted it when Sacramento opened the new stadium. Never understood the season ticket thing... feels like a time share to me.

STH since 2007. Section 127, Row 11. Price jumped from $12 to $30 per ticket.

I expected a significant price jump this season based on the run of sellouts and the rise in the second-hand market. I completely understand that the Jazz want to capture as much of that revenue as practical. However, I believe they overshot that mark.

I attend about one-third of the games and sell the rest. During the Corbin years, re-selling was difficult and many tickets went to waste. The past 12 months have been profitable. However, even with the current popularity--GSW & POR on Christmas Day are the only games I've been able to sell for more than $30 each. Charging season ticket holders rates based on the best-case scenario shifts all the risk to them. With the early commitment deadline of Jan. 30, we are being asked to pay 100% of the current going rate for an unknown product (how do we finish this season, what about the draft, free agency, etc.) I believe that the risk of under-performance or decreased popularity should be shared by the team and the season ticket holders--they overshot that mark!

I'm hoping that as some give up their seats I can change locations to either find seats that I believe worthy of $30 or move back a few rows to the $15 area. However, I can't justify $2640 (up from $1056) for a pair of seats on Row 11 in the upper-bowl corner...

Who would want season tickets anyways? Seems like a job. You have to put in all this work just to get down there and into your seat. You have a schedule. Have to plan your week around that. Who has that kind of time? I can barely watch the games on tv. Most the time I tivo the game and crunch it down to an hour and a half, maybe less if it becomes a boring game.

Watching the game from home is better anyways unless you have great seats. Upperbowl is stupid. Upper lower bowl is stupid. Corners are stupid. Behind the basket is stupid. Seats suck. Spacing sucks. Food sucks. Sometimes the people aroumd you suck.

Andy Larsen had a poignant personal take on Twitter from the POV of a kid (himself many years ago) with not a lot of money but a lot of free time who just wanted to go to games and was able to scrap up the cash to do so .

Sad to see that narrative eliminated even in the small market world - regardless of today's economic realities.

It will also be sad to see when LAL and GSW come to Utah next year and 30-40% of the fans at the game are not there to support The Jazz.

Who would want season tickets anyways? Seems like a job. You have to put in all this work just to get down there and into your seat. You have a schedule. Have to plan your week around that. Who has that kind of time? I can barely watch the games on tv. Most the time I tivo the game and crunch it down to an hour and a half, maybe less if it becomes a boring game.

Watching the game from home is better anyways unless you have great seats. Upperbowl is stupid. Upper lower bowl is stupid. Corners are stupid. Behind the basket is stupid. Seats suck. Spacing sucks. Food sucks. Sometimes the people aroumd you suck.

Neat opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

$12 to $30 is a steep increase but $30 is still relatively cheap (or at least reasonable) so far as ticket prices go in the NBA.

And it’s also just one example. How much are the other seats going up?

That said, I’m not sure why they didn’t have a big hike (say $12 to $22) over this past season which was so successful. They could’ve then raised prices next year to only $26 (and then to $30 for 2020-2021) and made more money.

Very Hack. Very blunt. But I tend to agree. There’s a lot of cons and then once you end up going, it feels like a chore, which isn’t what going to games should feel like.

Isn't the arena the same this year as last year? And the team is the same this year as last year. Seems pretty crazy that the arena is the same, the team is the same, and the results look to be worse, but they roll out these pretty substantial increases. Seems like a punch to the gut of the loyal fan....

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

The ONLY way the Jazz will be convinced they have to spend money to compete is if you sheeples STOP spending money. Stop with the season tickets, stop with the jerseys and other merchandise. Jazz had kept their payroll between 28th-30th for many years so Millers made plenty of money before putting the team into a trust. Then Lindsey spent a little more in a "too little, too late" effort to keep Hayward, who wisely bolted for a franchise unafraid to spend. Now Lindsey is again in the bottom half of the league. Every year he spews the same "financial flexibility" line from his pie hole, then fails to sign any free agents of note, choosing to shop at the dollar store instead. And you guys buy his internal development, team chemistry schtick.

I don't feel a bit sorry for any of you season ticket holders. You'll continue to ante up the money to watch Mitchell play in Utah for the next 6 years. And then it will be tank and hope for another star. Jazz have always been cheap and always will be. The only exception was the year the Millsap raise overlapped Boozer's final days. When Larry H was alive, he famously said his main concern was operating the team in the black every season. Great owners, owners who want championships are willing to lose money because they know the main profit source is from appreciation of the franchise, not yearly P&L statements.

My parents have been season ticket holders since 1979 (dad killed in 2015). Our lower seats went up, but our front row upper did not. As I do feel bad about some people being priced out, but then you have to remember how cheap the seats really are compared to other markets.

I will say the absolute best thing to happen is being able to trade in tickets for "Jazz Notes". This current year is the first year and I think it is amazing. Before in the past we couldn't even sell the tickets for what we paid, half of what we paid, and ever sometimes give them away. Now we can trade in the tickets and then use the credits on concessions, gear, more games, or use it towards payment on next season or playoff tickets.

Exactly. Also, haven't the Jazz had underpriced tickets compared to other teams for several years? I don't understand the backlash really. The Jazz have always been one of the most caring organizations when it comes to their fanbase. I understand people would rather not spend more money, but prices change.