What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

That's fair, but to the bold: history tells us 'very little'. And we can only afford to get someone big in FA by dumping two starters.

I think our flexibility is pretty overrated. I don't envy DL tbh. I don't really know the solution.

I think we can get those two starters back though while kicking the tires. I think Ricky would prefer to stay... if he signs something big while we wait a couple days then I likely wouldn't have wanted to keep him at the price he signed for. Favs has a late guarantee date so we are completely in the driver's seat.

I feel ya though. FA isn't our strong suit... to be fair we haven't really tried in a long time and have some appealing things going on.

I think we just be opportunistic... if something pops up at a good price then go for it... if not we good.

He definitely was, but udoh isn't usually that bad (to be fair to udoh he had no idea he would be playing and wasn't part of the gameplan going into the game) and if we had Harris or Niko or Griffin or something our starting lineup would improve and we would have different options like going small with the bench. (Or adding a backup center like Nene or chandler or like HH mentioned, vonleh or something)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

It makes me appreciate Neto too... super under-rated in his ability to step in after not playing 10 or so games and be really solid. At the pg position too... he's low key just a cool guy to have.

The issue in the Favors-for-Porter swap is the Jazz would be extremely thin at the 4 at that point, especially if they're sending Thabo as well.

Again, I'd rather have Bjelica. I have no idea what it would take, but I can't imagine it would take as much as it would to get Porter.

With BJelly not really in the Kings future plans, he should be available at a relatively cheap deal. Couldn’t we get both players, or is there no room for both?

I love the banter, but waiting on free agency is a poor decision in my opinion.

Tobias and a $4.6 million player is the absolute best case scenario. That comes at the cost of Rubio, Favors, and Thabo. Any other player is a minus in my opinion (Randle, Mirotic, etc.).

Putting all of our eggs into the "really hope we get Tobias" basket is a very poor decision. I would rather know I can have Porter, Rubio and a $9 million MLE player (hell, might be Favors).

Tobias and a $4.6 million player is the absolute best case scenario. That comes at the cost of Rubio, Favors, and Thabo. Any other player is a minus in my opinion (Randle, Mirotic, etc.).

Putting all of our eggs into the "really hope we get Tobias" basket is a very poor decision. I would rather know I can have Porter, Rubio and a $9 million MLE player (hell, might be Favors).

Good points, but it isn't all the eggs as the Jazz would have another shot in next FA as well.

With BJelly not really in the Kings future plans, he should be available at a relatively cheap deal. Couldn’t we get both players, or is there no room for both?

That would be about $32 million in incoming salaries I think. It would be tough to send out that amount without including a Rubio, Exum, Ingles, Jae contract...

Mitchell and a bunch of other guys on offense isn’t a championship recipe. Porter’s contract would lock us into that.

I’m with you on getting a real piece now, but I’d target Harris. Yeah, I know he’s expiring.

Good points, but it isn't all the eggs as the Jazz would have another shot in next FA as well.

I guess, but are we really just going to strike out two summers in a row, go with the exactly the same product, and hope again that our perfect fit will fall into our lap in free agency the third summer in a row we have space?

We need a star that can be along for Donovan’s prime. They shouldn’t be a PG and they can’t be a C.

Neither of the guys being discussed in the rumor mill fit that criteria.

Seriously, what does Porter bring that we don’t already have? “Potential”?

Thanks, but we’re already paying $11 million a year too much for that.
7'3 wingspan who has shot +44% from 3 in the previous 2 seasons. Has played much better when Wall is out and ball movement increases.

I like Harris but I dont think he is that big of a difference maker and especially not at a max contract. He does not rebound well and does not play good defense. Jabari has been playing better defense then him lately.

He is also having career highs in most of his statistics. Is that a trend or an anomaly?

I would rather chase other players but I guess he could be okay as well. I dont think he is a max player though, but I could be wrong.

7'3 wingspan who has shot +44% from 3 in the previous 2 seasons. Has played much better when Wall is out and ball movement increases.
So he’s a shooter and has potential. We have some shooters.

I’m not saying Porter isn’t a good player and isn’t useful, but the price tag is pretty plainly ****ing ridiculous, especially in a down year. The price tag matters because it effectively bars the team from improving the roster, and that roster isn’t going to get it done.

I’m not saying Porter isn’t a good player and isn’t useful, but the price tag is pretty plainly ****ing ridiculous, especially in a down year.
I mean, I think he's a really damn good player now. He's shooting 47% from 3 in January on 5 attempts per game.

We need a star that can be along for Donovan’s prime. They shouldn’t be a PG and they can’t be a C.

Neither of the guys being discussed in the rumor mill fit that criteria.
Why cant it be a PG? Harden and CP3 are both PGs and do well together when healthy. Conely is a pretty elite 2 way player my only concern is that is going to start declining.

I like Harris but I dont think he is that big of a difference maker and especially not at a max contract. He does not rebound well and does not play good defense. Jabari has been playing better defense then him lately.

He is also having career highs in most of his statistics. Is that a trend or an anomaly?

I would rather chase other players but I guess he could be okay as well. I dont think he is a max player though, but I could be wrong.
Every year is a career year for him. He’s been productive every year he’s been in the league but gets better every year.

A 4 that can create his own shot, scores efficiently, is unselfish, doesn’t get injured, and is loved by his teams is not Jabari Parker.

I’m not saying Porter isn’t a good player and isn’t useful, but the price tag is pretty plainly ****ing ridiculous, especially in a down year. The price tag matters because it effectively bars the team from improving the roster, and that roster isn’t going to get it done.

We have too many shooters?

Who is the player that will get it done?

We cant improve the roster after being over the cap regardless of who it is except the MLE, which we will still get. Besides we usually improve through trades and draft, which we can continue to do.