What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

Last offseason was frustrating, but the Jazz didn’t have max space and the free agent pool wasn’t nearly as deep as this year.

It’s been about this offseason for me since the beginning of last year and I think that’s the same with the organization.

If we would have renounced Favors and Thabo, we would have had enough money to get almost anybody that was in free agency last year. We could have given Aaron Gordon more than the ended up getting with Orlando.

The pool is a lot smaller this year because half of the teams in the league have massive amounts of money this year. And those who don't have money all have the $9 million MLE. Last year, there were only like 5 teams who could spend more than $12 million. It was crazy.

Enough about the past. Let's talk this summer - we would have to have the best free agency year in the history of our franchise to get a player as good as Tobias at his age. The odds are very, very low. Make a trade.

Yeah, it's a risk, but I think the odds say it's going to be a Tony Bradley way more often than it is a Rudy Gobert.

For sure in the 20s, but the good news is that it comes at such a low cost. I guess I'd rather take a swing on possibly getting 70% of an Otto Porter on a 2m/year deal than giving up that opportunity as well as removing the Jazz from any meaningful FA discussions, as implausible as they seem.

Otto Porter is a fine player and could be even more than fine here in Utah. I can't wrap my head around parting with assets for him. I guess we shall see.

It is close. Its also the first time in his career over 50%. Last year he was 46%. If you think he has made a jump this year and a much better player that is fine. He has been up and down with his shooting. It could be an up year.
It’s okay to admit that you didn’t know Harris is as good as he is.

I just feel like the whole "Clippers are signing two max super-star free agents" thing has to happen for Harris to choose to leave LA and i don't think that's going to happen at all. I think there is a better chance no super-stars join LA and it seems super risky to bet that someone is going to choose Utah over LA.

Why does he go back if they don't make a FA addition? They can offer more money obviously, but would they?

Market is one factor... guys turn down LA and Miami though... it happens.

LA is a cool place to vacation... but there are also some drawbacks. I don't think LA trumps all.

If we would have renounced Favors and Thabo, we would have had enough money to get almost anybody that was in free agency last year. We could have given Aaron Gordon more than the ended up getting with Orlando.

The pool is a lot smaller this year because half of the teams in the league have massive amounts of money this year. And those who don't have money all have the $9 million MLE. Last year, there were only like 5 teams who could spend more than $12 million. It was crazy.

Enough about the past. Let's talk this summer - we would have to have the best free agency year in the history of our franchise to get a player as good as Tobias at his age. The odds are very, very low. Make a trade.

I agree past is silly to talk about but you'd had of renounced Faves/Thabo/Udoh/Exum to offer a RFA like Gordon that Orlando could have just matched. That would have been silly.

Why does he go back if they don't make a FA addition? They can offer more money obviously, but would they?

Market is one factor... guys turn down LA and Miami though... it happens.

LA is a cool place to vacation... but there are also some drawbacks. I don't think LA trumps all.
More money and living in LA trump most things.

1. In order to be the best you’ve ever been, it requires things to go better than they ever have. If you close yourself from opportunity, chances for lucky breaks go away.
2. There are other scenarios besides taking on $30 million a year in salary or only pursuing max free agents. You could make a trade that conceivably improves the team now and preserves the requisite cap space to make a big move.

I agree past is silly to talk about but you'd had of renounced Faves/Thabo/Udoh/Exum to offer a RFA like Gordon that Orlando could have just matched. That would have been silly.
He also didn’t hit the market. He signed July 1. Gordon was never in play.

For sure in the 20s, but the good news is that it comes at such a low cost. I guess I'd rather take a swing on possibly getting 70% of an Otto Porter on a 2m/year deal than giving up that opportunity as well as removing the Jazz from any meaningful FA discussions, as implausible as they seem.

Otto Porter is a fine player and could be even more than fine here in Utah. I can't wrap my head around parting with assets for him. I guess we shall see.
That's going to be really difficult to get 70% of Otto Porter out of a pick in the 20's. And when would that 70% of OPJR materialize? His 2nd/3rd/4th/2nd contract year?

It’s okay to admit that you didn’t know Harris is as good as he is.

Lol, he has been good this year on offense, like I said. Wish he were a decent or even average defender who rebounded, then I would like him.

Do you think he will be better or worse offensively in our system vs LAC?

That's going to be really difficult to get 70% of Otto Porter out of a pick in the 20's. And when would that 70% of OPJR materialize? His 2nd/3rd/4th/2nd contract year?

Sure, not a guarantee but also not a pipe dream. More of a reflection on the risk v cost.

Lol, he has been good this year on offense, like I said. Wish he were a decent or even average defender who rebounded, then I would like him.

I think he's been solid on defense this year... he's prolly close to average... we have a guy that can help with that.

Sure, not a guarantee but also not a pipe dream. More of a reflection on the risk v cost.

Its a pretty small chance that pans out. Its more likely that the draft pick isnt an NBA level player. Its also almost a guarantee that he wont be for a couple years.

Better. I can’t comment on his defense, but I have never in my life heard anyone describe it with the vitriol you do. I can’t conceive that it’s bad enough to upend the entire Jazz defensive system. The Jazz are going to be a great defensive team.

This team is still Mitchell and a bunch of other guys on offense. That’s never been a championship recipe in the modern era besides the ‘94 Rockets. Mitchell ain’t Hakeem and it’s not ‘94.

I’m happy to watch good, fun basketball, but I want a championship.

If we were still sucking I think I'd be very much in the trade camp. I think we need to have a good showing in the playoffs to have a real shot... basketball competitiveness, solid organization, good young guys (that are pretty damn likeable), and a big role are appealing. May still lose, but its possible.

I am not saying I prefer Jabari but a 4 that does not play defense is not worth the max unless he is an elite scorer. Harris is not an elite scorer. I dont know how Jabari's teammates feel about him nor do I know about Harris. But Parker can create and shoot. I dont know about unselfish. I would much prefer taking a risk of Jabari for a cheap deal then paying Harris the max.

I would not say he has improved every year. He has been up and down statistically. But if you believe his play this year is indicative of improved play thats fine. That is just a concern of mine.

I think Harris playing the majority of the 4 minutes only slightly improves us over Favors playing some 4 and backup 5 with Crowder getting most of the 4 minutes. Harris means losing Favors who is putting up better advanced numbers than Harris. It also means cutting Crowders minutes back. Crowder plays much better defense than Harris and his hustle is contagious.

Harris means better offense and worse defense for the Jazz.
Sometimes better offense=better defense. (Less misses equal less transition for the opponent as an example)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Tim Hardaway Jr. on the trade block, he's one where we wouldn't have to give up any good assets and he can potentially be that 'other scorer'

Contract kinda hurts. But if someone is looking for the median option, here you go.

I think he's been solid on defense this year... he's prolly close to average... we have a guy that can help with that.

I very much disagree on that. Why does no team want him either? Clippers dont seem that interested in keeping him anymore as well.

How about the fact that both Clips and Pistons were better when he was off the court last year? His team gives up a lot of points with him on the court.