What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

I heard JR Smith, which would be doubling down on the dumbass off-season decisions that got them into this mess.

I think they are interested in JR Smith, but I think Washington ends up sending Otto Porter to Houston for Knight, Gordon and a 1st rounder or 2. Washington wouldn't have to completely rebuild since they get Gordon back, and they get some assets. Seems like the kind of deal Houston will pull off. One of those Morey high risk high reward type deals.

I think they are interested in JR Smith, but I think Washington ends up sending Otto Porter to Houston for Knight, Gordon and a 1st rounder or 2. Washington wouldn't have to completely rebuild since they get Gordon back, and they get some assets. Seems like the kind of deal Houston will pull off. One of those Morey high risk high reward type deals.
If they let Ariza go for salary reasons, I wonder what they think of OP for $90M over 3 years.

If they let Ariza go for salary reasons, I wonder what they think of OP for $90M over 3 years.

I think they will realize the error of their ways. I think they thought Melo would replace Ariza fine. Add O, subtract D. It just wasn't that easy.

I heard JR Smith, which would be doubling down on the dumbass off-season decisions that got them into this mess.

At least JR fits the premise of their team philosophy. I think it would end up being a salary dump related move with knight though... where they are really after money savings but might be able to sell it as a basketball move.

At least JR fits the premise of their team philosophy. I think it would end up being a salary dump related move with knight though... where they are really after money savings but might be able to sell it as a basketball move.

The crazy thing is that Houston won't have free agent money any time soon anyway. What's the point of sending Knight and a 1st for terrible JR Smith when they could pony up a little more for a better player? It's not like Houston needs to save money for a better player. They pretty much only have the MLE.

If they end up with JR Smith, I wouldn't be shocked. And as a Houston hater, I'm fine with that. I just have a feeling Morey will go bigger. If they found a way to get Otto Porter using Knight, picks and expirings, damnit.

The crazy thing is that Houston won't have free agent money any time soon anyway. What's the point of sending Knight and a 1st for terrible JR Smith when they could pony up a little more for a better player? It's not like Houston needs to save money for a better player. They pretty much only have the MLE.

If they end up with JR Smith, I wouldn't be shocked. And as a Houston hater, I'm fine with that. I just have a feeling Morey will go bigger. If they found a way to get Otto Porter using Knight, picks and expirings, damnit.

Their moves this summer were all about saving money. If they can duck some tax this year or next that might be the motivation.

Morey has been neutered by the new owner

I have a feeling, and maybe it's just a hopeful feeling, that we are playing Rubio so much because we might trade him. Our offense does run better with him, but I don't think our FO is fully committed to him long term. More so, when Rubio plays great, like yesterday, we usually don't win. We have to get better and that will come at the expense of either Favors or Rubio. I highly, highly doubt we would do anything with Favors. He would have to ask for a move to be moved.
o.k LoPo. It´s clear you do not like Ricky. Sure you will find a way to understimate Ricky. I know Ricky quite well, his ups and downs, he´s not a superstar, just a good / sometimes very good player. But you can´t blame Ricky of all the Jazz´s mistakes. It´s embarrasing to watch the last 8-10 min of the match, Donovan hero ball and the rest of the team open waiting for nothing. Or a bench that not works, or a 5 that can´t make a shot, can play only p&r and with the ball near the basket or a 4 that has made 2 decent matches in the season, or a 3 that´s not playing at the level of the last season, or...
Ricky is playing better step by step and playing the way Snyder wants, that´s not his playing. He would prefer 8-10 shots game and 10 assist but Quin is asking for his system and that´s what he tries to do. Last season Ricky was one of the main reasons to reach the playoffs , does it not deserve a little more confidence from you ? I´m sure not.

Sorry, i´ll try to improve my english

o.k LoPo. It´s clear you do not like Ricky. Sure you will find a way to understimate Ricky. I know Ricky quite well, his ups and downs, he´s not a superstar, just a good / sometimes very good player. But you can´t blame Ricky of all the Jazz´s mistakes. It´s embarrasing to watch the last 8-10 min of the match, Donovan hero ball and the rest of the team open waiting for nothing. Or a bench that not works, or a 5 that can´t make a shot, can play only p&r and with the ball near the basket or a 4 that has made 2 decent matches in the season, or a 3 that´s not playing at the level of the last season, or...
Ricky is playing better step by step and playing the way Snyder wants, that´s not his playing. He would prefer 8-10 shots game and 10 assist but Quin is asking for his system and that´s what he tries to do. Last season Ricky was one of the main reasons to reach the playoffs , does it not deserve a little more confidence from you ? I´m sure not.

I think he does not realize how heavy, boring and repetitive he is; of every two words he pronounces three are the name of Rubio to defame him.

It's not that I don't like Ricky. There is nothing personal here. If you track my comments over time, I have been a Rubio fan.

However, being a Jazz fan comes first. When we put so much money into Favors last summer, I think that meant the end for Ricky because our starting lineup needs a big improvement at either PF or PG. I don't feel like the front office has the guts to trade Favors. He was our #1 priority this off-season. Ricky hasn't even been extended.

If we got the right player at PF, I'm fine with Ricky staying. I just feel that we need Ricky's expiring and decent play as the main part of a trade towards improvement.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

It's not that I don't like Ricky. There is nothing personal here. If you track my comments over time, I have been a Rubio fan.

However, being a Jazz fan comes first. When we put so much money into Favors last summer, I think that meant the end for Ricky because our starting lineup needs a big improvement at either PF or PG. I don't feel like the front office has the guts to trade Favors. He was our #1 priority this off-season. Ricky hasn't even been extended.

If we got the right player at PF, I'm fine with Ricky staying. I just feel that we need Ricky's expiring and decent play as the main part of a trade towards improvement.

The Jazz re-signed Favors for two reasons: a) he's good and helps us win, b) he's a trade asset worth keeping. What the Jazz decide to do with Rubio won't be based on Favors either way.

The Jazz re-signed Favors for two reasons: a) he's good and helps us win, b) he's a trade asset worth keeping. What the Jazz decide to do with Rubio won't be based on Favors either way.
Rubio and Favors are both good but they are weakest parts of a starting lineup which has potential to be special.

If we keep Rubio and Favors this summer, what a waste of a good opportunity. Keep one. Fine.

Just trade for Mills and sign Mirotic and our spacing issues are solved.

Just trade for Mills and sign Mirotic and our spacing issues are solved.

Looked at some Jae numbers today. He shot close to 40% the year he started in Boston. In every other season he was a better shooter as a starter than when he came off the bench... this season he is better overall as a starter but his 3P % was worse... only a 4 game sample... so not super helpful. I think he might be much better as a starter and the 4th or 5th option than he is as a bench gunner.

So if we made that change I think we might have a higher likelihood of seeing good Jae more often. In general his overall FG % was much higher and his 3P% was 4-6% higher. I think it solves some issues for us.

Looked at some Jae numbers today. He shot close to 40% the year he started in Boston. In every other season he was a better shooter as a starter than when he came off the bench... this season he is better overall as a starter but his 3P % was worse... only a 4 game sample... so not super helpful. I think he might be much better as a starter and the 4th or 5th option than he is as a bench gunner.

So if we made that change I think we might have a higher likelihood of seeing good Jae more often. In general his overall FG % was much higher and his 3P% was 4-6% higher. I think it solves some issues for us.

I agree 100%. I think moving favors to the bench is and always has been the obvious move.

What is the team record in those 4 games that jae started?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

C'mon LoPo,if you write " have a feeling, and maybe it's just a hopeful feeling, that we are playing Rubio so much because we might trade him."... it's clear what you think about Ricky. Anyway i'll wait for your critics to DM,Rudy,Ingles,etc , oh sorry,even in this case sure it will be ricky's fault.
On the other hand last year i wrote that Juancho Hernangomez was a much better option and better player than Hezonja.And i'm sure he would fit perfectly with the team and system. Now i think is too late or not? Maybe a good offer could interest to The Nuggets

Rubio and Favors are both good but they are weakest parts of a starting lineup which has potential to be special.

If we keep Rubio and Favors this summer, what a waste of a good opportunity. Keep one. Fine.

Keeping Favors on the team so that he can contribute or be traded for something better is a good strategy short term.

The Jazz's starting line-up isn't special by today's standards, if we're being honest. Donovan and Rudy could be two pieces of a championship contender's core. Ingles might be okay as a glue guy and 4th or 5th option. Crowder, Royce, Favors and Thabo are defensive oriented bench pieces. That's all we have right now, if we're talking about contending. I go back and forth on whether Rubio is worth re-signing, but his lack of gravity on offense puts a ceiling on the team.