What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

I'm struggling with two contradictory impulses. On the one hand, I want to trust the Jazz FO and give them the benefit of doubt that they they did all that was reasonable to improve the team but would not allow themselves to be pressured into giving up too much or making an otherwise dumb move. On the other hand, I watch every other team wheeling and dealing to try to improve, adding pieces that the Jazz have previously expressed interest in (e.g., Porter & Mirotic), while the Jazz FO does nothing, in which case, I wonder if the FO is being too cautious and valuing certain players too much, and thus not taking risks to improve the team. (Let's face it, most moves entail risk.)

Here's what I do know/think:

1. Jazz, as currently constituted, are a flawed team that lacks consistent shooting/scoring from key positions, particularly PG and PF.
2. I love Rubio as a person, but he's too inconsistent. I also love Favors as person, but he does nothing to stretch the floor and create spacing. He's a center, not a PF, in today's NBA.
3. Jazz need other relatively high usage player, who can score reasonably efficiently and from distance, to take some of the pressure off Mitchell. Preferably, this player plays either PG or PF.
4. As currently constituted, Jazz ceiling is 2nd round, and most likely, this year, 1st round exit.
5. The narrative that Utah somehow become a desirable free agent destination is a delusion. If we're going to upgrade in any significant way, it will have to be through draft or trades.
5. Jazz need serious upgrading to be competitive in a brutal Western Conference. Staying the course and relying on continuity and/or upgrading at the margins simply won't cut it any more. At some point, barring getting very, very lucky in the draft, the Jazz FO will need to make a significant and risky trade to upgrade.
6. If it's Exum that's holding up a move to upgrade, I'm a bit annoyed. I have no confidence that Exum will ever achieve his potential. His future is replacement level player or slightly above. I am beginning to think that the FO's devotion to him is approaching irrationality status. If he can be moved to achieve a serious upgrade, then for God's sake, move him.

If the Jazz come out of this FA period without making a considered, albeit potentially risky, move to upgrade, I'll be disappointed, and I confess that it will seriously try my faith in the FO and Lindsey. (BTW, I don't consider Dragic a significant upgrade over Rubio.)
great post

For role players that don't move the needle. Those trades are done by every team every year. When is the last time Utah made a splash trade and took a REAL risk? Never. They're content with being a 5-8 seed because that will fill the stadium, sell tickets, and maintain great TV ratings.
What trade do you see that the Jazz should have pulled the trigger on and we had the assets for?

Frankly, I am happy with the offer the Jazz made to the Grizzlies. They understand what their limit is and I agree with not just throwing Exum in there. Conley is 31. He will be a good addition, but that's a small backcourt and if they take this offer, great, but I'm not DYING for Conley at his age.

Frankly, i'm very happy the Bucks have taken on multiple guys that could leave in the summer and they have Middleton to worry about. I'd go after both Middleton and Harris and offer them a lot and take them off their hands. We need that position a lot.

I don't disagree with what the Jazz are doing. Hopefully they don't bid against themselves and get fleeced for Conley.

There had been about 25 trades. Jazz are linked to old expensive point guards. Lindsey isn't trying to build a championship roster.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This will be the year that the East showed they had more balls than the West.

Raptors trading for Kawhi
Knicks trading Porzingis
Philly trading for Harris and Butler
Bucks making multiple deals
Heat trading for Ryan Anderson
Maybe Charlotte trading for Gasol

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
How is that? The west already had all the players. Lol
I have no idea if this dude knows what he's talking about or not.

Could be a play to get Memphis to lower price? Best guess because the jazz trading for him would be idiotic
Any chance the Jazz could get pickup Tolliver?
I swear, that guy has been in the league since my child Hood it feels like.
I think I know which front office effed up the "brooks" trade earlier this season.
Lol
Lol WTF is DL doing... Waiting for that "perfect deal" that doesn't really exist. Same $hit every season different a$$hole. Everyone else is getting better, while the Jazz will likely resign Rubio to ~$17/yr and exercise the team option for Favors. LMAO.

God your an idiot. We’ve made trades the last two seasons. Holy hell!!

You wanna send four 2nds for a potential 30-day rental? Or a young player, two 1sts, and two 2nds for a significantly-better 30-day rental? Even when the Jazz could pursue both in free agency?

How about two firsts and players we like for a 31-year old declining 6’ 1” PG that will make >$60 million?

The market isn’t our friend right now. That much is clear.
30 day rental? You think the season ends in March?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I have literally no idea what Memphis is doing, and I don't think they do either. That makes no sense at all for them. Are they going to try for the playoffs or something?
This didnt age well.

Edit* haha. He edited it.

Sorry bro.

Im hitting refresh too fast for your edits.