What's new

2019 trade deadline discussion

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
We're going to be heading into the deadline with $60M in expiring contracts.

Let's talk about targets.

I will start the process though... it's kind of the same cast of characters -

- Niko - though it seems less likely NO would trade him with Boogie gone
- Tobias Harris - Clips realize they suck early and Harris won't stay... take Favs and a first or Crowder/Exum or something like that for Harris
- Otto Porter - Washington realizes they suck early and that Dwightbola virus has infected the team... decide to cut they salary and move Porter.
- Jabari Parker - He accepts QO and gets moved cuz him and Milwaukee hate each other or gets signed to Atlanta or Sacramento and they have buyer's remorse.
- Paul Millsap - Denver realizes it aint working and move him for Favs and expirings to get all the way under the tax plus some minor asset (a first, Bradley)
- Aaron Gordon - Orlando realizes it aint working (there is a theme here) and they like Jonathan Isaac at the 4... trade Gordon for exum, expirings and a first (prolly too much if Exum is healthy, but oh well)
- Spencer Dinwiddie/Malcolm Brogdnon/Tomas Satoransky - why these guys... low cap holds for next year... so we can use our space and then re-sign them later... these guys are only candidates if Exum/Allen ain't cutting it and we want extra juice at the 1 or 2.

We're going to be heading into the deadline with $60M in expiring contracts.

People keep saying that if we re-sign Rubio next season we won't have much cap space left, but if we have $60M in expiring contracts, shouldn't we have enough to sign Rubio and still sign a max player?

People keep saying that if we re-sign Rubio next season we won't have much cap space left, but if we have $60M in expiring contracts, shouldn't we have enough to sign Rubio and still sign a max player?
It depends on how much with Exum and what else we do. But if we keep Rubio at his same price the most we could have is 28 million. But that number isn't realistic with draft picks and room for min contracts.

t depends on how much with Exum and what else we do. But if we keep Rubio at his same price the most we could have is 28 million. But that number isn't realistic with draft picks and room for min contracts.

I guess I just don't understand how all this cap stuff works. So your saying that even though we have 60 million in expiring contracts, we can only spend about 42 million of it? Where did the other 18 million go?​

I guess I just don't understand how all this cap stuff works. So your saying that even though we have 60 million in expiring contracts, we can only spend about 42 million of it? Where did the other 18 million go?​

Ricky has a 22M caphold. We are also over the cap this year so 60M out doesn't equal 60M in space.

That is all amount we are over the cap already or will be. There is a cap that is around 101 million this year but the luxury cap is 124 million. You just have to look at what players make and the cap hold and then compare that to whatever the cap is going to be. Next year it should jump to 109 million.
But we have:
Rudy 24,258,427
Inlges 11,454,546
Exum 11
Crowder 7,815,533
Mitchell 3,635,760
Grayson 2,432,520
Bradley 1,962,360
O'neale 1,618,520
That is about 63.9 million
On top of that we have a bunch of cap holds but assuming we let all of those we can we will have a cap hold for our 1st round pick of about 2 million and then about a 4-5 million cap hold for minimum contracts. So that puts us at ~70 million.

So if we get Rubio for a good deal at 15 million that puts us at 85 million. That leaves us with 24 million. We could in theory clean up a bit more but I dont see how we get to 30 million it would take to get most max players next year without letting Rubio go or getting him for really cheap.

So if we get Rubio for a good deal at 15 million that puts us at 85 million. That leaves us with 24 million. We could in theory clean up a bit more but I dont see how we get to 30 million it would take to get most max players next year without letting Rubio go or getting him for really cheap.

But couldn't we go over the cap again next year like we are this year? We're 23 million over the cap this season, wouldn't we be willing to go that far over the cap again next season? Especially if it means we can add a max guy. As long as we're not in luxury tax territory, I don't see why we couldn't go over the cap to sign Rubio and bring in a max player.

But couldn't we go over the cap again next year like we are this year? We're 23 million over the cap this season, wouldn't we be willing to go that far over the cap again next season? Especially if it means we can add a max guy. As long as we're not in luxury tax territory, I don't see why we couldn't go over the cap to sign Rubio and bring in a max player.
Basically you can go over the cap to keep your own guys but you can't to sign an outside free agent. But you own guys have a hold against the cap until you sign them or waive them and lose the rights to go over the cap.

So Rubio will have a hold of 22 million until we sign him. If we waive that hold we can't go over the cap to sign him.

That is all amount we are over the cap already or will be. There is a cap that is around 101 million this year but the luxury cap is 124 million. You just have to look at what players make and the cap hold and then compare that to whatever the cap is going to be. Next year it should jump to 109 million.
But we have:
Rudy 24,258,427
Inlges 11,454,546
Exum 11
Crowder 7,815,533
Mitchell 3,635,760
Grayson 2,432,520
Bradley 1,962,360
O'neale 1,618,520
That is about 63.9 million
On top of that we have a bunch of cap holds but assuming we let all of those we can we will have a cap hold for our 1st round pick of about 2 million and then about a 4-5 million cap hold for minimum contracts. So that puts us at ~70 million.

So we will either handle our FA acquisition through trade... let Rubio walk or move Exum or Crowder if we need a little space.

I would think Crowder would be pretty easy to move if we have to.

Should be... I think if Dante is healthy he is also an asset and may fetch something good in a trade. If Dante is healthy he is worth the deal he signed and we could waive Rubio's caphold with some degree of confidence.

Updated to reflect the summer contracts (minus bonuses of course). http://www.basketballinsiders.com/utah-jazz-team-salary/

The following are my opinions (players listed in order of size of contract):

"Untouchables" - I don't think we are trading these guys:
Gobert
Rubio
Ingles
Exum
Mitchell
Allen
O'Neale

"Probably Not Traded" - these guys might seem like good trade pieces, but our FO only trades them if the season is going much worse than expected. These guys are important to the locker room and lineup:
Favors (I think he would have to be unhappy or hurt to get dealt - just don't see it happening)
Crowder (incredibly unlikely since our FO wanted him for years - $7.8 for 2019/20 is a steal)
Thabo
Neto
Bradley (don't see the FO trading him: solid replacement for Udoh, cheap and has potential)

"Expendables" - I think we would shop these guys between now and the deadline depending on offers:
Burks ($11.54 expiring)
Udoh ($3.36 expiring)
By combining Burks and Udoh, we could bring back almost $20 million in contracts. Also, Burks and Udoh are intriguing since they both contribute in specific areas of need; Burks in wing bench scoring and Udoh with big man rim protection.

$15 million of expirings accomplishes about 95% of trade scenarios. If we had to add someone to a trade to target somebody with a bigger contract (i.e. Kevin Love, Aaron Gordon, etc.), I think the order of preference would be Neto ($2.1), then Thabo ($5.25), then Favors/Bradley.

So most trade ideas I think are realistic would be Burks and/or Udoh since those guys seem like the most likely trade candidates. Burks won't get much time on the wing with all our options now (Mitchell, Ingles, O'Neale, Exum, Grayson) and Udoh doesn't seem like a key playoff piece since we have Gobert and Favors to play C. Udoh only played 21 minutes the entire 2018 postseason.

Any potential trades we make are going to hinge on Favors' play next year.

Utah has, by my count, 7 players who can play the wing (2 and/or 3) in the form of Allen, Burks, Crowder, Ingles, Mitchell, O'Neale, and Sefolosha. That's about half the roster. Now, some of the obvious issues of playing time were mitigated by the fact Favors and Gobert couldn't be long on the court at the same time due to stretching issues at the 4. So we could slot playing time to players like Crowder and Ingles there at times because it alleviated the glut. I'm pretty sure the Jazz promised Favors more sets and, if he can hit the three with any consistency, we're going to play him a ton because he's no longer a liability and his scoring potential goes up a ton because he's a weapon to go in, out, screen, pick and pop, post, etc. And the prospect of having that nasty of a defense is too great to ignore. Udoh will also see increased playing time because Favors will remain at the 4 more and Bradley probably won't be ready.

If Favors manages to become Al Horford (remember, he suddenly could hit the three?) we could trade from the wings to address another position of issue. We may need to because we have a glut of good wings that need playing time and no one is going to straight unseat Mitchell at the 2. Ingles is perfectly fine at the 3. Royce has earned rotation minutes and Crowder's going to Crowder (this is a good thing with better shot selection. Settle in Jae and let it come.) So to start, Allen isn't going to get a ton of time at the start of the season, but what he's shown the SL makes me think he'll get time eventually as probably a combo guard. The problem only increases with Niang as, if the Jazz bring up him and his ridiculous shooting holds (50% from deep? Seriously?). So this leaves out Burks and Thabo as odd men out. Burks is a hell of a trooper, but I don't see where he gets playing time and Thabo's minutes would be cut at the four.

So Utah could package Burks and Thabo without dropoff to address another point on the roster. About 16m in expiring could be enticing.

Now, if Favors can't shoot the 3, none of this matters and we could see Favors deal for a PF that can. Basically, it's all on him to perform. But I'm sure all that was made clear to him with the incentives, potential payout, and non-guaranteed year.

Updated to reflect the summer contracts (minus bonuses of course). http://www.basketballinsiders.com/utah-jazz-team-salary/

The following are my opinions (players listed in order of size of contract):

"Untouchables" - I don't think we are trading these guys:
Gobert
Rubio
Ingles
Exum
Mitchell
Allen
O'Neale

"Probably Not Traded" - these guys might seem like good trade pieces, but our FO only trades them if the season is going much worse than expected. These guys are important to the locker room and lineup:
Favors (I think he would have to be unhappy or hurt to get dealt - just don't see it happening)
Crowder (incredibly unlikely since our FO wanted him for years - $7.8 for 2019/20 is a steal)
Thabo
Neto
Bradley (don't see the FO trading him: solid replacement for Udoh, cheap and has potential)

"Expendables" - I think we would shop these guys between now and the deadline depending on offers:
Burks ($11.54 expiring)
Udoh ($3.36 expiring)
By combining Burks and Udoh, we could bring back almost $20 million in contracts. Also, Burks and Udoh are intriguing since they both contribute in specific areas of need; Burks in wing bench scoring and Udoh with big man rim protection.

$15 million of expirings accomplishes about 95% of trade scenarios. If we had to add someone to a trade to target somebody with a bigger contract (i.e. Kevin Love, Aaron Gordon, etc.), I think the order of preference would be Neto ($2.1), then Thabo ($5.25), then Favors/Bradley.

So most trade ideas I think are realistic would be Burks and/or Udoh since those guys seem like the most likely trade candidates. Burks won't get much time on the wing with all our options now (Mitchell, Ingles, O'Neale, Exum, Grayson) and Udoh doesn't seem like a key playoff piece since we have Gobert and Favors to play C. Udoh only played 21 minutes the entire 2018 postseason.

Your untouchables list is way too long.
If we are trading for a star player guys like Allen, O’Neal, exum, Rubio are the type of guys that need to be used in the trade.

Have to use good assets to get good players in trades sometimes I would think.

It ain’t like you can trade udoh and Burks for porzingas or something right?