What's new

2020-21 Season Starting December 22

LoPo

The National Basketball Players Association board of representatives voted Thursday night to approve a plan for a Dec. 22 start to the season that includes a reduced 72-game schedule, clearing the way for the league and union to finalize details on the 2020-21 season, the NBPA announced.

This is great news. The loss of revenue, should they have started in January, would have been crushing. Now we need to find out what's going on with Don and Rudy extensions.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:

Potentially big thing to watch here... if the tax line moves up but the cap does not it helps us in a few ways. The MLE is tied to the cap and would be lower and JC is likely getting a MLE size deal so it'd help us hold on to him at a slightly lower number. Would make it possible to get off of Ed's money and use full MLE and bring back JC without hitting the tax.

Potentially big thing to watch here... if the tax line moves up but the cap does not it helps us in a few ways. The MLE is tied to the cap and would be lower and JC is likely getting a MLE size deal so it'd help us hold on to him at a slightly lower number. Would make it possible to get off of Ed's money and use full MLE and bring back JC without hitting the tax.

Good post.

1st hurdle was starting back before Christmas.

2nd hurdle would be an agreed upon cap/luxury.

I would assume that the NBPA now has some bargaining power since they conceded and are willing to start playing before Christmas. I think the cap and luxury will raise a little but not to the expectations they had prior to COVID.

Good post.

I would assume that the NBPA now has some bargaining power since they conceded and are willing to start playing before Christmas. I think the cap and luxury will raise a little but not to the expectations they had prior to COVID.
The consensus is that the cap stays the same... this guy was kinda guessing based on rumblings he's heard. The escrow being 18% is a huge win for the players so I think they got their concession. They may have to expand rosters a bit with Covid so I'm thinking there will be a couple other changes in there.

Any news on where they will be playing, such as a "bubble" situation or will they be in their home arenas without fans?

Perhaps that will be determined with the direction the virus goes.

Good post.

The consensus is that the cap stays the same... this guy was kinda guessing based on rumblings he's heard. The escrow being 18% is a huge win for the players so I think they got their concession. They may have to expand rosters a bit with Covid so I'm thinking there will be a couple other changes in there.
Any news on where they will be playing, such as a "bubble" situation or will they be in their home arenas without fans?

Perhaps that will be determined with the direction the virus goes.
home arenas with rich fans in suites where possible. Maybe some additional limited seating.

We'd better have a backup plan if JC doesn't come back