C Marc Gasol

Team Ron Mexico

DWill/Kevin Johnson
Giannis/ Dale Ellis
Clyde Drexler/Jimmy Butler
Dirk Nowitzki/Glen Rice
Bill Walton/Bob Pettit

David Humes write-up

It looks like a fascinating matchup. The big difference is that Michael Jordan always did and always will take personal pleasure in totally humiliating Clyde Drexler on court. It may be Mr T’s line, but I can almost hear Jordan shouting “I’m gonna beat you like a dog, Balboa” as he dunks over Clyde. Or maybe Jordan will just shrug, just like he did when he made 6 three pointers in a row over Drexler in Game 1 of the 1992 NBA Finals.

I like DWlll but I think Tony Parker is the more cerebral assassin who will enjoy playing next to Jordan. The Jimmy Butler/ Paul George matchup will be close and a good fight. Blake Griffith has the physical tools to match up with Giannis. The Nowitzki/Walton tandem is interesting, but there is no way Nowitzki is keeping Moses Malone off of the offensive glass. Moses pulled down an insane 18 rebounds per game during the 83 finals against Kareem, including 23 in the clinching game, and it’s going to look like he’s playing volleyball against Dirk. Walton is a very good defender, Gasol was DPOY, and Moses was All Defensive 1st Team, so to me the center position in this battle looks really fun.

Ron’s reserve unit has a suspect defender in Dale Ellis and a horrible defender in Glen Rice. Sprewell is a better defender than either and is going to light them up (and if not careful, choke them to death a la PJ Carlesimo). Rice will be a lazy defender on Tatum or whoever he is guarding and we will go after Rice mercilessly.

So to sum up: Michael Jordan enjoying humiliating Drexler even more, Moses and Griffin playing volleyball on the offensive boards, and weak defense in Ron’s bench and those make the difference as Team David Hume wins in 5.

Ron Mexico's write-up

I am starting 3 MVP players against the 2. Plus I have another MVP coming off the bench. I have 3 elite wing defenders to throw at Jordan to make him work as hard as possible. Bill Walton can handle himself very well against Malone. I am going to make Jordan try to get going against the Greek Freak. Clyde is a good wing defender and matches up well against Pushoff P. Ill take prime DWill over Tony Parker easily. Plus I like that Parker cant shoot from 3. If I am going against prime Blake Griffin he was a terrible 3 point shooter giving Jordan 3 non threats from 3 point land to clog the paint. Then I have a bench that would is much better. I have a big advantage at PG, SF, and PF. I think Moses is a little better but at both their peaks it is pretty similar. Jordan is better than Giannis but Giannis is very very good and I cant think of anyone that could guard Jordan better.

Who do most people think is better Tony Parker or DWill?

DWill seemed up outplay Tony usually but Tony had the much better team around him.

DWill seemed up outplay Tony usually but Tony had the much better team around him.
I think Deron had a higher peak but Parker did it for longer, and had a better career because of it and having a better team around him doesn’t hurt.

Anyone listen to the All the Smoke podcast with Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson? It's pretty decent, but for whatever reason Stephen Jackson goes out of his way to talk **** on Tony Parker like every episode. He really hates him for some reason.

I like both Parker and Williams. I selected Parker because he not only won 4 NBA titles, but he was Finals MVP in 2007. In that year during the regular season he shot .395 from behind the 3-point line, so I would not agree that he lacked a 3-point shot in his prime. He was just so good at mid range shots from just inside the 3-point line. He shooting percentage that regular season was .520. He was just outstanding. During that year’s playoffs he shot .480 from the floor and .333 from behind the 3-point line. For comparison, DWill that year shot .507 from the floor regular season and .395 from behind the 3-point line. During the playoffs, D Wills numbers that year were .462 shooting and .333 3-point shooting

Deron was a rugged, rough and tumble guard who, if I remember correctly, Sloan wanted because he seemed to be tougher than Chris Paul. During those early years it was an open question who was better, Paul or Williams. Then Williams dropped off in Jersey and Paul went on. Still, Deron was very, very good during his Jazz years. I can imagine being happy with either player on my team.

I like both Parker and Williams. I selected Parker because he not only won 4 NBA titles, but he was Finals MVP in 2007. In that year during the regular season he shot .395 from behind the 3-point line, so I would not agree that he lacked a 3-point shot in his prime. He was just so good at mid range shots from just inside the 3-point line. He shooting percentage that regular season was .520. He was just outstanding. During that year’s playoffs he shot .480 from the floor and .333 from behind the 3-point line. For comparison, DWill that year shot .507 from the floor regular season and .395 from behind the 3-point line. During the playoffs, D Wills numbers that year were .462 shooting and .333 3-point shooting

Deron was a rugged, rough and tumble guard who, if I remember correctly, Sloan wanted because he seemed to be tougher than Chris Paul. During those early years it was an open question who was better, Paul or Williams. Then Williams dropped off in Jersey and Paul went on. Still, Deron was very, very good during his Jazz years. I can imagine being happy with either player on my team.
He did have a decent percentage that year. But he wasn't actually shooting the 3. He has 15 for 38 that year. I like Parker but he isn't a 3 point threat it was just out of his range a bit.

DWill before the ankle injuries pretty much dominated the league. Nowitzki is better than PG in my opinion.

From a pure athletic standpoint, RM's team would win this matchup 4-2 in a 7 game series.

Last edited:
He did have a decent percentage that year. But he wasn't actually shooting the 3. He has 15 for 38 that year. I like Parker but he isn't a 3 point threat it was just out of his range a bit.

This. Parker shot 32.4% for his career from 3. He was a poor perimeter shooter.

I think Tony Parker would’ve had a good but ho-hum career on any team besides the Spurs. Overrated. Hume blew it on that one. Even Mark Price who no one even picked would’ve been a way better pick IMO.

It's pretty hard to beat Jordan especially when he is combined with a 3X MVP.

I feel like I'm considerable better at 3 other starting positions and a much better bench. I wonder how Jordan would do against Giannis. I think he is still very underrated despite his MVP and assumptively a second. Moses is also underrated I think he is the biggest advantage for David's team. Walton was extremely good for a short time though.

Anyways GG David, best of luck in the next round.

It's pretty hard to beat Jordan especially when he is combined with a 3X MVP.

I feel like I'm considerable better at 3 other starting positions and a much better bench. I wonder how Jordan would do against Giannis. I think he is still very underrated despite his MVP and assumptively a second. Moses is also underrated I think he is the biggest advantage for David's team. Walton was extremely good for a short time though.

Anyways GG David, best of luck in the next round.
Ron, thanks for the kind words and well wishes. These drafts have been fun because they have forced me to look at many players, past and present. Now I’ve got to show the same level of motivation and commitment to work. Publish or perish!