What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

Not going to raise suspicions here, but Conley is out again tonight and has been out a week now with "hamstring tightness." Maybe this is a load management move, but I'm wondering if the Jazz are holding him out for a potential trade. Just something to keep an eye on over the next week.

I could see the Jazz moving him, especially if Conley himself isn't happy with his new situation for some reason.
I don’t think there is anything to this. It is not like us to be super reactive and Mike seems happy. At this point though, speculation is fair because it’s been a weird year.

It’s good for us to see what it looks like with Joe and DM as the starting backcourt. If we want to reconfigure and Mike is the piece we have to move then we will have an idea of what that group looks like.

This is likely just Jazz staff being conservative with an injury that can linger.

Streaky shooting, defensively liable, injury prone. What's the reason that we gave up Hood and AB again? Cuz they don't get paid as much as Conley?

To add to my above post... We should position ourselves to be able to use the full MLE this summer. There are not a lot of good young or marquee free agents next summer and only the bottom feeders will have cap space. So guys like Gallo, Ibaka, Gasol, Dragic, Joe Harris, etc. could likely be had for the MLE unless they get interest from a high lotto team. There are also others like Bertans and Favors that will be in that tier... so if we can somehow clear Dante's salary it would help make the budget work with those types.
It would take some kinda miracle to get Bertrans, but he'd be a major upgrade to our offense(or any teams offense). Any team would need an elite stretch shooter like him, which is why we kept experimenting niang(and keep failing)

It would take some kinda miracle to get Bertrans, but he'd be a major upgrade to our offense(or any teams offense). Any team would need an elite stretch shooter like him, which is why we kept experimenting niang(and keep failing)
I don’t think he gets more than the MLE next year... could be wrong. Wouldn’t call it a miracle. Whatever team he is on could offer him more than MLE but I doubt someone is going much higher than that.

I don’t think he gets more than the MLE next year... could be wrong. Wouldn’t call it a miracle. Whatever team he is on could offer him more than MLE but I doubt someone is going much higher than that.
Bertans is shooting his way to JJ Redickism. Big money is waiting for him. But yeah I would love to trade Ed for him right now. Paying only MLE for what him offers is a big win.

I don’t think there is anything to this. It is not like us to be super reactive and Mike seems happy. At this point though, speculation is fair because it’s been a weird year.

It’s good for us to see what it looks like with Joe and DM as the starting backcourt. If we want to reconfigure and Mike is the piece we have to move then we will have an idea of what that group looks like.

This is likely just Jazz staff being conservative with an injury that can linger.

What if the Spurs are ready to pull the red handle this season and decide they want to move DeRozan and don't want to pay Poeltl? I think you'd have to have a conversation.

To add to my above post... We should position ourselves to be able to use the full MLE this summer. There are not a lot of good young or marquee free agents next summer and only the bottom feeders will have cap space. So guys like Gallo, Ibaka, Gasol, Dragic, Joe Harris, etc. could likely be had for the MLE unless they get interest from a high lotto team. There are also others like Bertans and Favors that will be in that tier... so if we can somehow clear Dante's salary it would help make the budget work with those types.
Clearing Dante wouldn't be necessary to get the MLE though. However - and maybe this is your point - if the Jazz can get more under the cap than the size of the MLE, they would have a leg-up on the players you've just mentioned.

Not going to raise suspicions here, but Conley is out again tonight and has been out a week now with "hamstring tightness." Maybe this is a load management move, but I'm wondering if the Jazz are holding him out for a potential trade. Just something to keep an eye on over the next week.

I could see the Jazz moving him, especially if Conley himself isn't happy with his new situation for some reason.
I don't see them moving him and this is unrelated. He's a 31-year old PG and the hamstring is one of the most problematic muscles in the body when it isn't right. That's why he's sitting.

What if the Spurs are ready to pull the red handle this season and decide they want to move DeRozan and don't want to pay Poeltl? I think you'd have to have a conversation.
A backup center that isn't a priority, or an expensive, high-volume mid-range player that even the current Raptors don't appear to miss? Those are your targets? I'm not trading even this bum version of Conley for that.

Clearing Dante wouldn't be necessary to get the MLE though. However - and maybe this is your point - if the Jazz can get more under the cap than the size of the MLE, they would have a leg-up on the players you've just mentioned.

I hadn't looked at the numbers... we are good to use MLE with or without Dante. My only point is there might be good value with the MLE next year.

I hadn't looked at the numbers... we are good to use MLE with or without Dante. My only point is there might be good value with the MLE next year.
Marcus Morris. Or we could just trade for him then use MLE on Favors.

Bertans is shooting his way to JJ Redickism. Big money is waiting for him. But yeah I would love to trade Ed for him right now. Paying only MLE for what him offers is a big win.
JJ took big money on one year deals... his money would have been less per year had he taken multi year deals. I don't think Davis gets much more than MLE if he takes a 4 year deal. 4/42M is right where I think his range will be.

Marcus Morris. Or we could just trade for him then use MLE on Favors.
That wouldn't quite work... If we trade for Morris we don't have his bird rights. So we'd have to use MLE to re-sign him.

Wouldn't we get early bird rights or do you have to do 2 years for that?
Two years. However, we need him now and our window might be this year. Joe and Mike aren't going to be better (than their year-end forms), Golden State will have fallen ***-backwards into assets that will allow them to be back, and it's a near-certainty in my mind that a new superteam will emerge by the end of next year.

Two years. However, we need him now and our window might be this year. Joe and Mike aren't going to be better (than their year-end forms), Golden State will have fallen ***-backwards into assets that will allow them to be back, and it's a near-certainty in my mind that a new superteam will emerge by the end of next year.

The thing this start has done for me... is given me the understanding that while I think we are better than last year... we aren't a title contender. Couple things could change that for me... DM clicks in a little more consistently and Mike Conley become last year's Mike Conley... but unless that happens then I think we just don't have the ceiling I had hoped. I think we can be very good... maybe even a western conference finalist.

I wouldn't push all in on this year if that includes trading additional firsts or taking on gross long term salary... If there are minor improvements we can make then great... let's do it... but I'm not telling myself we are one or two rotation pieces away from being a true contender. I will still enjoy the hell out of the team and this season.