What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

Orlando is desperate for shooting. We need more length and athleticism. AG can play the 4 and 5.

I think there’s a decent chance Royce could be moved for an upgrade; he’s a free agent and the jazz might worry about him walking/having to pay him.

Do the jazz have any 1st round picks they can trade with? A lot of times when teams are selling they are looking for a pick and filler. Could be some players available like that. Nuggets got grant for a 1st and Portland got someone too though I’ve forgotten who. Just a thought....

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I believe we could trade our 1st round pick this year provided that it falls outside of the range where it could be protected to Memphis AND it's not conveyed until draft night since you can't trade 1st rounders two years in a row.

Overall though, I think our best bet is going after a player which might not require a 1st rounder.

I believe we could trade our 1st round pick this year provided that it falls outside of the range where it could be protected to Memphis AND it's not conveyed until draft night since you can't trade 1st rounders two years in a row.

Overall though, I think our best bet is going after a player which might not require a 1st rounder.
The short answer is no.

I would like Thaddeus Young on this team. Not a major acquisition, but is a legit 4 who plays D.
Thad Young would be a GREAT pick up. He is the type of player I would like to see, a tough player with good size who knows he is a support player and can excel in his role.

that's about as big of a move as we can make... Unless you think we'd move conley… and we wouldn't do that.
I wish we would...
How about Conley (& filler like Mudiay or 2nd rounder) to Orlando for DJ Augustine and Aaron Gordon.
Conley would be better in Orlando. He would be paired with a pick and pop big in Vucevic, similar to how he was successful with Gasol before. Also, he would have a more clear offensive role/green light.

We beef up with two rotation players. I assume AG would start at PF and Mitchell would move to PG. Augustine would be our backup PG and provides a floor general for the second unit.

Edit: just had to come back and point out how awesome our defense would be with Mitchell, Royce, Bojan, AG, & Rudy. The versatility of Royce, Bojan, AG, and Ingles would make me feel good about our rotations (with Davis, Augustine, & Green also legitimate rotation players).

Last edited:
I was pushing for Thad Yound over the offseason, would love to get him in (I imagine it'd be Exum + a 2nd or two if it happened)

Really the options are trying to find mid tier guys to better round out our rotation using Exum's money + a minor asset.

I wish moving for a star (CP3/Griffin/Love) or a better fitting long term piece (Porter in Chicago?) with Conley's contract were on the table but it's just not something our front office will ever do.

Like seriously how much money do you think he will get?

No idea, but we’ve seen dumb contracts given out before. I just imagine it’s something they’ll consider during trade talks. And Royce is one of the only decent pieces the jazz have to trade.

I wish we would...
How about Conley (& filler like Mudiay or 2nd rounder) to Orlando for DJ Augustine and Aaron Gordon.
Conley would be better in Orlando. He would be paired with a pick and pop big in Vucevic, similar to how he was successful with Gasol before. Also, he would have a more clear offensive role/green light.

We beef up with two rotation players. I assume AG would start at PF and Mitchell would move to PG. Augustine would be our backup PG and provides a floor general for the second unit.

Edit: just had to come back and point out how awesome our defense would be with Mitchell, Royce, Bojan, AG, & Rudy. The versatility of Royce, Bojan, AG, and Ingles would make me feel good about our rotations (with Davis, Augustine, & Green also legitimate rotation players).

Funny. I almost said DJ and Fournier. Feel like that’s more possible.

Gordon would be interesting, but I don't know how we get him unless the Magic just try to dump him. Exum, Davis and one of those minor contracts (NWG?) could get it done. It would save Orlando money this year, next year and clear all $16+ of his contract in 2021-22. Would we add a future 1st and multiple 2nds to make the deal work?

Seems highly unlikely...

If people hate the way the offense looks now, just wait until we pepper in Aaron Gordon clanking threes and missing shots.

If people hate the way the offense looks now, just wait until we pepper in Aaron Gordon clanking threes and missing shots.
I wasn't that high on Mike Conley before we even got him and he's already doing that plenty without the benefit of physical ability like Gordon does.

I am concerned Conley is on his way out. If he was in his 20's I wouldn't be, or if he had good size for his position I would be rosier. I am not proclaiming that he and we can't turn it around, but if he is on his way out then the Jazz would do well to get out from under him as quickly as possible, while there might be lingering hopes for him.

Additionally, Conley provides little value off-the-ball besides as a shooter. He's not going to set great screens or be Reggie Miller using them off the ball. He's never done anything but pound the rock for every minute he's in the game. Orlando could use that, while we don't have enough possessions to keep everyone happy.

I have also long felt that DM's best position is as a PG for numerous reasons, one being that it might cause him to have a second-thought about his proclivity for chucking. I think giving him a permanent green-light this early in his career has been bad for him.