What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

ETA NVM I thought he was saying that Ed was releasing words.

The tweet and your post are equally confusing.
Yeah, at first I posted the tweet because it sounded like Ed was making some kind of announcement. Then I edited the post to mention that I misunderstood. He was referencing his article he was publishing on Ed’s fit, and not some kind of words that Ed was releasing about his own fit.

CP3 would bring a lot of intensity, midrange clutchness, and ref/media respect, but if people complain that Conley is bad without the ball in his hands... imagine paying CP3 $45M.

CP3 would bring a lot of intensity, midrange clutchness, and ref/media respect, but if people complain that Conley is bad without the ball in his hands... imagine paying CP3 $45M.

CP3 is great without the ball in his hands though? Maybe not as good as with it in his hands, but I have no doubt he'd contribute off-ball. He had to play off Harden and succeeded (his splits with and without Harden are like two completely different players, it's wild) and is currently doing a great job of letting the young guys (SGA/Dennis) grow in OKC.

The main concern is of course injury, but that just feels silly with Conley in the midst of missing a month himself.

The only thing that makes me consider CP3 is his potential to maximize Gobert in the pick-and-roll. His pick-and-roll game is really tight.

Not sure what kind of picks they have but I could see Dragic, James Johnson, a 1st and a couple 2nds for Paul. Maybe two 1sts. Miami could go for it now.

Other than Miami, I think we make the second most sense.

I would still love CP3 here, he's always been an absolute stud of a player.
Me too. Wanted him over d-will in that draft.
Would be cool to finally nab him after all these years.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

The main concern is of course injury, but that just feels silly with Conley in the midst of missing a month himself.
And that contract which is steep enough to make me pause and I'm a fan of his

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

We are slowly eliminating our hugely negative guys... Green was first and we got a bump... JC gave us a bump... then moving Ed out of the rotation and we got a bump. When Mudiay's minutes are replace by Conley then we get another bump. Mudiay may not completely evaporate from the rotation, and he hasn't been bad imo… but he's our most negative guy in the current rotation. I think Niang moving more into the PF slot and playing less as a SF/wing has helped him be productive.

A lot of these guys we are looking at like Bjelica, Bertans, Morri twins, are likely upgrades to Niang… but I'm not sure it is by nearly as much as most think... He's hitting a high percentage on a high volume and doing so in limited minutes... really tough to do as a shooter... I doubt the others would be as good in this role.

Any upgrades we do to the bench unit are things that win us a maybe an extra game or two in the regular season and don't really raise the ceiling of this team. Outside of swapping Mike for CP3 I'm not sure there is a ceiling raising move out there. I don't think we have the stones to do that deal... there are some financial consequences of that type of move... but I think that move really would make us a contender.
Wanted to go back to this. Again reiterate that I haven’t been talking about Bertans because I do not believe we can get him. But he really is the closest thing to Korver (better?) that there is. Rarely is he taking threes at the line, but is usually 3-5 feet behind the line... here are some good videos:

He’s able to get the shot off so fast, while being so damn tall and long, and from anywhere on the floor, that it puts an insane amount of pressure on the defense. As I mentioned, he’s putting up 10.4 attempts per 36 which I believe may be a record. And to hit on 43.4% of them.

The interesting mental exercise may be, though nobody is trading first rounders any more, and the teams that would want his services have mostly traded all their picks, do you offer up a first rounder for him? The quick answer is obviously not, and the second answer is that we don’t have picks to trade (sort of), but if you work the pick into the conditions of ones that you already owe. Anyway, more to my question is the fact that we’re pushing all the chips to the table on the next couple years. What do we do this summer? If we’re not willing to go into the luxury tax, then we’re not really pushing chips on the table but just offering up assets. But if we’re willing to actually put money on the table, then the question becomes what one’s belief would be about being able to walk into this off-season with the bird rights to Clarkson, Bertans, and Royce with the intent to retain all three, then go use the MLE on Favors. Sure, we’re missing out on draft picks, but we’re having a hard time giving time to the 4,000 rookies we already have and we’re finding those guys other places anyway.

But if you’ve got a bench of Clarkson, Royce, Bertans and Favors, then that’s the best bench on the planet. You’re a legit #1 seed.

Conley
Mitchell
Ingles
Bogdanovic
Gobert

[Mitchell/Conely]
Clarkson
Royce
Bertans
Favors

Bonus: he looks like the Klopek kid from The Burbs.

The%2B%2527Burbs%2B2.jpg

I said it a while ago but I think we'll sign a player who is waived come deadline time. We could well send out someone like Davis for a 2nd to open up the roster spot.

This is what I think will happen as well. I think we trade Ed for a 2nd round pick at the deadline and pick up a big on the buyout market.

Wanted to go back to this. Again reiterate that I haven’t been talking about Bertans because I do not believe we can get him. But he really is the closest thing to Korver (better?) that there is. Rarely is he taking threes at the line, but is usually 3-5 feet behind the line... here are some good videos:

He’s able to get the shot off so fast, while being so damn tall and long, and from anywhere on the floor, that it puts an insane amount of pressure on the defense. As I mentioned, he’s putting up 10.4 attempts per 36 which I believe may be a record. And to hit on 43.4% of them.

The interesting mental exercise may be, though nobody is trading first rounders any more, and the teams that would want his services have mostly traded all their picks, do you offer up a first rounder for him? The quick answer is obviously not, and the second answer is that we don’t have picks to trade (sort of), but if you work the pick into the conditions of ones that you already owe. Anyway, more to my question is the fact that we’re pushing all the chips to the table on the next couple years. What do we do this summer? If we’re not willing to go into the luxury tax, then we’re not really pushing chips on the table but just offering up assets. But if we’re willing to actually put money on the table, then the question becomes what one’s belief would be about being able to walk into this off-season with the bird rights to Clarkson, Bertans, and Royce with the intent to retain all three, then go use the MLE on Favors. Sure, we’re missing out on draft picks, but we’re having a hard time giving time to the 4,000 rookies we already have and we’re finding those guys other places anyway.

But if you’ve got a bench of Clarkson, Royce, Bertans and Favors, then that’s the best bench on the planet. You’re a legit #1 seed.

Conley
Mitchell
Ingles
Bogdanovic
Gobert

[Mitchell/Conely]
Clarkson
Royce
Bertans
Favors

Bonus: he looks like the Klopek kid from The Burbs.

The%2B%2527Burbs%2B2.jpg

I’d be fine giving up more firsts if they are protected. Losing firsts is huge if you need to rebuild... I don’t see that in our 5 year plan... so I’m game to sell off a pick if we have one available.

I guess what I’m saying about this year is that swapping out Niang or Bradley’s minutes really isn’t going to make a major difference... those guys are fine. Bertans is good/great and a definite upgrade... if we play the Lakers and we are both healthy is that difference going to swing the series? What about the Clips? To beat those guys I think we need a top tier talent improvement or better health luck... which is why I’ve kinda pushed on the CP for Conley swap idea. It would likely push us into the tax the last year of his contract... like 30M worth buying it’s be a one year blip. If his 35-37 age years are similar to Stockton or Nash then I think it makes us a legit contender. I’m not convinced Conley does.

i wonder if you could do Conley, Davis and NWG for Morris and (either Randle or Portis) and dennis smith jr

Knicks would want us to take Randle to get away from that contract. Smith has potential but will never find it in NY

Would you do it? Morris would be an amazing piece for the bench

Mitchell, Mudiay, Smith Jr
O'Neale, Clarkson, tucker
Ingles, Morris, Morgan
Bogdanovic, Niang, Brantley
Gobert, Randle, Bradley

Don't get me wrong i love Conley but I love Mitchell at the PG more and Conley is not the future

This is what I think will happen as well. I think we trade Ed for a 2nd round pick at the deadline and pick up a big on the buyout market.
I think you are right, although I'm not sure Ed has any value. Jazz may need to buy him out. He's guaranteed for next year, right?

I think the major move could come 1 yr from now. If Conley still doesn't "fit," he has a big expiring contract. And the Jazz will have their 1st round pick to include. Jazz will use the MLE in the summer to shore up the roster.