What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

I'm basically opposed to sweeping changes. We have great chemistry AND we've been winning. The old adage is "if it ain't broke why fix it?". I think it's crazy to consider trading guys that are being productive in our system for that reason. Still, if there's a bargain out there that gives us options and we don't give up anything for him, why the hell not. For this reason I propose sending N.W.G to OKC for Mike Muscala. Muscala is a 6'10"stretch 4/5 that is having a brutal year but has pretty good stats career wise such as .458 FG%, 355 3%, 840 FT%. They're loaded with bigs and wings but don't have any pgs other than Paul and Shroder. For this reason I think it's feasible and win win. Trade works in NBA Trade Machine.

How does the Royce extension effect our deadline? I'm assuming if we made a move now we would be looking for a rental?

How does the Royce extension effect our deadline? I'm assuming if we made a move now we would be looking for a rental?
We were always planning to have Royce back. I suppose it depends on what they think he would have gone for in the summer. If they think he would have gone for $12-13M, then this gives us more flexibility to play with (relative to what they were expecting). In any case, I think any deadline move is done for this season. We don’t have any assets to pick up something really good. But if we’re able to land a Vonleh or an Olynyk, then that’s good and it’s with an eye (mostly) on this year.

Reactions: SCS
The interesting part is who gets traded and then bought out. I doubt Ed Davis can be moved for something of value. So when the trades start to happen there might be a piece in the buyout line that could be useful for this season.

The interesting part is who gets traded and then bought out. I doubt Ed Davis can be moved for something of value. So when the trades start to happen there might be a piece in the buyout line that could be useful for this season.
Your probably right, but I didn’t think Exum would ever net us someone like Clarkson.

the jazz seem to be very good at identifying good players on the cheap. Gobert, Korver, DM, and now Clarkson.

I think the Jazz are trying to trade Ed Davis. If they do that, it would be based on his reputation instead of his play this year. There were a number of teams interested in him this past offseason.

I’ll be curious to see if they try working him back into the rotation after the deadline if he’s still in Utah.

Interesting podcast. One particular tidbit is Hollinger mentions that there was a guy that they were offered at the deadline that had some incentives in his contract that could have possibly put them into the luxury tax, and they were trying to determine the likelihood of him hitting those. That sounds an awful lot like Favors, which would run contrary to the narrative that Favors was never offered in the Memphis deal.

Interesting podcast. One particular tidbit is Hollinger mentions that there was a guy that they were offered at the deadline that had some incentives in his contract that could have possibly put them into the luxury tax, and they were trying to determine the likelihood of him hitting those. That sounds an awful lot like Favors, which would run contrary to the narrative that Favors was never offered in the Memphis deal.

Could have been Dante too. I know he had incentives as well... I’ll give it a lisyen.

I’d like Olynyk as well but I’d be worried about the cap ramifications of him opting in to next year.
He will almost definitely opt in. If you do the deal then Kelly is the upgrade at the big... we might still use MLE depending on what JC gets, but might use it on the wing. I think we should avoid the tax next year as we might be getting into the repeater tax if we did, but if you had KO expiring and Conley expiring then the repeater tax may not be a concern.

I'd prefer Leonard for cap reasons but I think Kelly is the better player.

Didn't we have a winning streak before we invoked the name of rally churro this time. I swear anytime it comes up we lose a game.

He will almost definitely opt in. If you do the deal then Kelly is the upgrade at the big... we might still use MLE depending on what JC gets, but might use it on the wing. I think we should avoid the tax next year as we might be getting into the repeater tax if we did, but if you had KO expiring and Conley expiring then the repeater tax may not be a concern.

I'd prefer Leonard for cap reasons but I think Kelly is the better player.
I'd be content with either one. I think if you're making another addition like Bogut with picking up Leonard, then it gives you good versatility. But even if/when Olynyk picks yo his option, so long as we can still use the MLE, if we can without tax concerns, then that’s fine. All we would need is a 3/4 defender and we’re good. Olynyk isn’t quite 29 and he’s a guy we’ve liked before. DL big into cake baking and “keeping it together” is his MO.

Conley
Mitchell
Ingles
Bojan
Gobert

Clarkson
Royce
3/4 defender
Olynyk

Not a bad team. If we can use full MLE to upgrade Niang’s spot then we’re good.

I'd be content with either one. I think if you're making another addition like Bogut with picking up Leonard, then it gives you good versatility. But even if/when Olynyk picks yo his option, so long as we can still use the MLE, if we can without tax concerns, then that’s fine. All we would need is a 3/4 defender and we’re good. Olynyk isn’t quite 29 and he’s a guy we’ve liked before. DL big into cake baking and “keeping it together” is his MO.

Conley
Mitchell
Ingles
Bojan
Gobert

Clarkson
Royce
3/4 defender
Olynyk

Not a bad team. If we can use full MLE to upgrade Niang’s spot then we’re good

The other option is doing a small draft night trade to move back or defer the pick (this year's draft is really meh from what I've seen) and find a home for Ed as part of the transaction.

Another deal... Ed to NY for Taj, Mudiay to Minny for their second and they match with trade exception... send the second to NY for their trouble... Taj is expiring so if he sucks oh well. NY get s a vet at a more reasonable cost... they have a lot of space next year either way and likely aren't using it.

There are a lot of guys we can get with MLE if we have an obvious role... so I'd like that option to be very open.

I think he’s saying trade those three guys to Minnesota and not take back salary, then make another deal for Olynyk with the trade exception.

You could probably send Davis and Mudiay to Minnesota and then combine the TPE and TB for Olynyk.

Probably? I don’t see this being remotely likely. Olynyk plays almost 20 minutes a game with deep playoff run aspirations. They’re not trading him for Bradley and the TPE. That makes no sense for them imo.

Your probably right, but I didn’t think Exum would ever net us someone like Clarkson.

the jazz seem to be very good at identifying good players on the cheap. Gobert, Korver, DM, and now Clarkson.
And exum, Burke, Burks, Allen, Lyles, Hood, maynor, the list just goes on and on...

But they definitely need credit for claiming Ingles off waivers...genius move.

Probably? I don’t see this being remotely likely. Olynyk plays almost 20 minutes a game with deep playoff run aspirations. They’re not trading him for Bradley and the TPE. That makes no sense for them imo.

Kelly is playing nearly as much right now... Miami is a team that does cap gymnastics to avoid the luxury tax every year. I believe they can duck the tax almost completely with this deal. They want to be players in free agency in two years ( the Giannis year). I think they’d do it for Kelly in a heartbeat... Leonard I doubt it because he’s expiring.

Kelly has slipped a little supposedly but I think he’d be great for us on offense... the defense will be about the same but he’s one of those guys who picks up charges and is in the right place. We’ve met him at summer league the last couple years and he seems super cool super chill... that doesn’t matter at all but I think he’s a guy other dudes like hanging with.